Author Topic: Pending....  (Read 63777 times)

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: Pending....
« Reply #120 on: August 21 2012, 06:17:02 PM »
Tme is my biggest enemy right now. Might have to send car to the shop.  :(

May be cheaper to fly Steve in and get a few cases of PBR!
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #121 on: August 21 2012, 07:08:48 PM »
I doubt it...when Phil says he does not have time to work on it...it translates to "I am afraid I might mess it up" :)  This ain't my first rodeo :D
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 21 2012, 09:26:24 PM »

Tme is my biggest enemy right now. Might have to send car to the shop.  :(

May be cheaper to fly Steve in and get a few cases of PBR!
  I wish I could fly Steve here!!!  I'm sure he's too busy.  We dont have much farm land here, but we do have plenty of beer.
And Steve is absolutely right. That's a job thats above my skill level. If I had something else to drive, it wouldnt be that big of a deal. :hmm
« Last Edit: August 21 2012, 09:31:21 PM by phil_long »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 21 2012, 09:46:04 PM »
There is a reason why I tell everyone they need to own two of these things!
Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 21 2012, 10:21:06 PM »
There is a reason why I tell everyone they need to own two of these things!
Im about to be on the market for one in a second. Lol. I figured installing these injectors would be hard enough.  Now we talking about removing the front portion of the motor.  HA!!  Lmao.  This is nuts.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21 2012, 10:24:34 PM »
BUT, truth be told, given the time I wouldnt mind taking thing apart. Worse thing could happen is it not working when i put it back together.  I was thinking of potentially taking some stuff apart day by day, but the wife don't like where the car is sitting right now. I don't have a cloaking device for it so i'm kind of screwed

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 21 2012, 11:06:43 PM »
the injectors are very easy.

even worse is when you pay someone else to do the job and he screws it up........
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21 2012, 11:27:48 PM »
Hi Phil, I have been reading on all of your threads and I know how it feels to be threaded of the unknown. This site and as well as TurboBuick.com has great mentors who can help and guide you through replacing timing chain, both sprockets, damper tensioner, cam button, and front seal if that's what is needs to done. When I did this job I read, ask many, many questions, and a must have; PATIENCE.
The other option is to see if other members in this board and/or in TurboBuick.com board, who lives near your area of St. Louis Mo. Maybe someone might be able to assist you in your repair.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 22 2012, 09:06:30 AM »
Hi Phil, I have been reading on all of your threads and I know how it feels to be threaded of the unknown. This site and as well as TurboBuick.com has great mentors who can help and guide you through replacing timing chain, both sprockets, damper tensioner, cam button, and front seal if that's what is needs to done. When I did this job I read, ask many, many questions, and a must have; PATIENCE.
The other option is to see if other members in this board and/or in TurboBuick.com board, who lives near your area of St. Louis Mo. Maybe someone might be able to assist you in your repair.
That would be great, but again, its not so much of the job as it is the time. Vacation days are limited and so are my weekends. This job IS intimidating(wont lie about that), but if i had the time, i KNOW i could do it. My wife's new hours at her school leaves me with the kids in the evening some days after work. I haven't been to Turbobuick.com in a while.  Maybe there could be someone there that could help, or point me towards a credible helping hand. My decision isn't completely finalized yet, seeing that I have not 100% confirmed the problem with the car. :x

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 22 2012, 11:12:10 AM »
I think i might go ahead and do the damn work myself.... :hmm

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 22 2012, 11:23:58 AM »
Is it possible to varify that the car jumped timing by simly plugging in a cam tool? (i think thats the name of that piece).

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 22 2012, 12:03:39 PM »
I told you to rotate the crank slowly and to watch the cam sensor window wheel to see it it turned smoothly with the crank or if it hesitated at times and then started turning again.

Also, if the compression is low, then that is a sign
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 22 2012, 01:28:36 PM »
Unfortunately Phil, that's the natural of these cars, one don't know until you dive in and examine the outcome. I don't know your car profile since there is nothing written in your Sig section. Many TR owners have replaced the timing components and mostly the cam nylon sprocket.
Some even replaced the nylon cam sprocket as early as 20,000 miles, since it's possible for sprocket teeth's to break off for many reason (stress, heat, age, etcs), and then do major damage to the engine. As Steve mention before remove the timing cam cap, have someone turn the engine over and closely, and carefully look at the cam disk window and see if it turns smoothly or does it hesitate as it turns. I saw your video, but that doesn't prove if the timing has jumped, or some of the cam sprocket teeth are missing, or broken off. When I replaced the timing components, I found one tooth broken off and that's one too many.

This type of work may look intimated, but you need to slowly take baby steps and when it doubt ask questions.
I know many mentor members on board are here to help others, especially SuperSix, Steve, PacecarTA, and many others.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 22 2012, 02:10:16 PM »
I told you to rotate the crank slowly and to watch the cam sensor window wheel to see it it turned smoothly with the crank or if it hesitated at times and then started turning again.

Also, if the compression is low, then that is a sign
This will be my next step. I DO have a silly question since you guys are being so helpful.  How do you get to the crank? The only thing i found on gnttype.org was a crankshaft bulletin.  Didnt direct me to the location, how to get it, etc. Thanks

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 22 2012, 02:12:13 PM »
Unfortunately Phil, that's the natural of these cars, one don't know until you dive in and examine the outcome. I don't know your car profile since there is nothing written in your Sig section. Many TR owners have replaced the timing components and mostly the cam nylon sprocket.
Some even replaced the nylon cam sprocket as early as 20,000 miles, since it's possible for sprocket teeth's to break off for many reason (stress, heat, age, etcs), and then do major damage to the engine. As Steve mention before remove the timing cam cap, have someone turn the engine over and closely, and carefully look at the cam disk window and see if it turns smoothly or does it hesitate as it turns. I saw your video, but that doesn't prove if the timing has jumped, or some of the cam sprocket teeth are missing, or broken off. When I replaced the timing components, I found one tooth broken off and that's one too many.

This type of work may look intimated, but you need to slowly take baby steps and when it doubt ask questions.
I know many mentor members on board are here to help others, especially SuperSix, Steve, PacecarTA, and many others.
Ok, my patience is starting settle and I'm re-booting. I'll dig into it. Thanks a lot for the positivity and pep talk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal