Author Topic: Pending....  (Read 63743 times)

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Re: Pending....
« Reply #105 on: August 20 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
Recieved my injectors and chip today!!(not really helping me any though. Lol)

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 20 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
When I stripped my timing set I lost spark.
Oh? So if I don't have spark, I wouldn't know if it's due to the timing chain or something else? I guess taking a peek in the valve cover would be the next step.  Thanks

Taking a peek through the oil fill hole is the easiest test to verify a stripped timing gear. (I still have the perfectly fine crank sensor I replaced waaaaaaaaaay back when :) )
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #107 on: August 20 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
easiest perhaps, but not necessarily the best unless you are simply looking for a broken chain
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 20 2012, 04:59:56 PM »
After I get home, im pulling a spark plug to check for spark.  Any one in particular or it doesnt matter?  They all should spark simultaneously yeah?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 20 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
If they all fired simultaneously, we would not have a firing order....

Pull the easiest one to get to...or use an old plug if you have one, pull one wire off, stick the old plug in it, lay it on the valve cover, then crank the engine over for a couple of seconds and you should see a spark.

Did you put your noid light on an injector connector to see if it blinked when you cranked it over to see if you had injector pulse?  My memory is not good enuf for more than a half a days trouble shooting?

Finally, do you have a compression tester?
Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 20 2012, 06:41:16 PM »
I did the noid light and it blinked. I do not have a compression tester. I can ask my dad and see if he has one

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20 2012, 07:21:36 PM »
I just confirmed spark. I was expecting a bult of lighting, not a little light of spark. Lol. But i did see spark. Also removed the oil filler cap. Something in there was going up and down. I guess the valves

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20 2012, 07:31:35 PM »
Might no matter, but im posting a vid of the attempt to start

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20 2012, 08:08:31 PM »
so, did you have injector pulse?

And what does the compression read?
Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
I do have injector pulse.  I dont have a compression tester

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 20 2012, 09:22:14 PM »
It takes spark, fuel pressure, injector pulse, and compression to get an engine to run.

If the timing gear sheds a few teeth, then the valves and pistons will not be in synch to make compression.  Checking it with a compression gauge will usually come up with a low  number in that case.  Often it will try to fire and pop back thru the intake as well as the exhaust.

Usually, if you have some lay on the floor and turn the crankshaft with a socket after you have removed the cam sensor cap, you can watch the wheel in the cam turn.  It should turn steadily as the crank is turned.  If, periodically, it hesitates in its rotation, and then starts again, this is a sign of missing teeth.  this may be harder to spot if you are spinning it over on the starter.

When an engine has jumped time, it usually sounds a bit different while being cranked over as compared to the normal sound.  You can also pull the number one plug and if it makes a very soft puff of air as it is being cranked, then you can probably assume it is not making much compression.\

If it is the timing gear, then you will need to pull the pan off and clean any debris off the oil pump pick up as well as out of the pan, etc.

Hard to believe someone would rebuild an engine and not use a new timing set
Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 20 2012, 09:26:56 PM »

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 20 2012, 10:11:33 PM »
The rocker arm moved so your cam is turning. That test won't tell if it's in the right place though.

If you can't find a compression gauge I think all the fast food parts stores have them for loan.

Can you pull all the plugs and see if any of them look odd? That's a test that can be done without and special tools. (and they got to come out anyway for the compression test)

Have we covered that there's no oil floating on top of the coolant and/or milkshake in the oil?
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 20 2012, 10:33:36 PM »
The rocker arm moved so your cam is turning. That test won't tell if it's in the right place though.

If you can't find a compression gauge I think all the fast food parts stores have them for loan.

Can you pull all the plugs and see if any of them look odd? That's a test that can be done without and special tools. (and they got to come out anyway for the compression test)

Have we covered that there's no oil floating on top of the coolant and/or milkshake in the oil?
Plugs are brand new.  I have pics of the old ones i took out.  I removed the rapid fires,and put in the regular AC Delcos. I havent checkeed the coolant but I will. I'll look into getting a compression tester

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21 2012, 01:27:14 PM »
Tme is my biggest enemy right now. Might have to send car to the shop.  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal