Author Topic: Oil Pressure sending unit  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Oil Pressure sending unit
« on: June 26 2019, 04:03:47 PM »

My oil pressure sending unit turned into a fountain of Oil! It comes out the sensor thru each of the 3 prongs? Luckily the rubber cap stayed on & I only lost 2 litres in a half mile ride home. I still had 20 lbs pressure when I shut it off in the outside parking lot. There's a very visible trail from where it started on the main street right to where I stopped it. I wasn't sure where it was but the Oil was all in one spot so it became obvious after taking out the turbo bracket & rad hose. After removing the rubber plug we started the car & it just oozed thru the 3 prongs nice & steady. I think I've heard of this happening before but I'm not sure? So the question I have is has this happened to anyone here or Steve you ever recall it happening? Also, I assumed the car wouldn't start when the sensor was unplugged but since I run a TT chip that feature must be left out? I thought if it didn't read 4 lbs oil then it would automatically shut off the engine but it fired right up with the used spare I had in the pile. Any who, it's not something you see very often so I'm glad I have an Oil Pressure Gauge!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Oil Pressure sending unit
« Reply #1 on: June 26 2019, 05:06:06 PM »
Yes, it happens every once in awhile, David.  The other thing that happens rarely is that the oil cooler hose pops out of it's fittings and dumps the oil.  That happened to me long ago on my GN.

Nope, you misunderstand how it works.  It only backs up the fuel pump relay in case it fails.

Read here how it works.  Nothing to do with the chip :)  [size=78%]http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/oil_pressure_senderoil_pressure.htm[/size]

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26 2019, 05:41:34 PM »

Steve I thought I heard it mentioned at some point but it's surprising to watch it happening.
I don't use the Oil Cooler but do use the Big Baldwin B-12 filters.
Funny to see my engine on your link!
The big ground strap was torn 99% on the one end & when I grabbed it the thing just fell apart. I hope it's got something to do with all the stupid false knock the Audible unit picks up.
At least it made for an interesting 2nd drive of 2019 altho I'm sure there's more to come.
Thanks again for all the help you provide to the site.
Cheers!   :cheers:

David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26 2019, 08:14:37 PM »
I've seen mine squirt out oil. Left big puddles until I replaced it. I thought it was the cooler hose but it was the sender.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26 2019, 08:25:54 PM »
The good part is just_a_six has a spare everything. Or two.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26 2019, 09:37:48 PM »
I plugged the sensor with a screw and a small oil to keep the leak small should have left it off
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28 2019, 02:32:11 AM »
Let me try this again
I plugged the oil sending unit and drilled a small hole just Incase it feels again.

After doing all the repairs and creative plumbing work, knowing it’s not need to keep the fuel pump running I wish I would have left it off. Just something to leak oil all over the place.
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal