Author Topic: Repaint Header Panel  (Read 27876 times)

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Repaint Header Panel
« Reply #15 on: November 17 2016, 01:48:53 PM »
The header looks like you did a good job of sanding so once the primer is on you should be good with most products out there. Almost 20 years ago my car was sanded down (nothing special) & shot with Enamel. Lots of people said you can't do that & you have to go to Bare Metal  but mine is still holding on just fine with a half decent shine after it was professionally buffed out 6 years ago. I touch it up with regular Gloss Black Oil base paint I use on kitchen cupboards.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17 2016, 06:17:27 PM »
My car was repainted after theft at around year 3. I believe they put a barrier /primer and BASF enamel over that. I think that is why my fillers have survived.

I think they took the header down to nothing to work out the stone chips tho. 
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17 2016, 06:49:42 PM »
The header looks like you did a good job of sanding so once the primer is on you should be good with most products out there. Almost 20 years ago my car was sanded down (nothing special) & shot with Enamel. Lots of people said you can't do that & you have to go to Bare Metal  but mine is still holding on just fine with a half decent shine after it was professionally buffed out 6 years ago. I touch it up with regular Gloss Black Oil base paint I use on kitchen cupboards.

What type primer did you use?
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17 2016, 06:54:06 PM »
My car was repainted after theft at around year 3. I believe they put a barrier /primer and BASF enamel over that. I think that is why my fillers have survived.

I think they took the header down to nothing to work out the stone chips tho.

is this barrier /primer also works like a sealer?
After the enamel paint did you also apply the clear coat?
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17 2016, 07:29:22 PM »
They don't promote or even sell old style Oil Base Enamel in most paint stores as everything now is Acrylic Enamel but I don't deal in Automotive materials. Chris Turbolicker would be the guy to ask about all the new stuff as the Technology keeps new products coming out almost yearly. I use water base 100% Acrylic primers that will stick to almost anything. Really tough stuff & if it dries on your hands you need a hot shower to get if off. Also Hybrid water base finish coats that need no primer & go over old Oil paint.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17 2016, 07:33:11 PM »
I was trying to say that if you haven't purchased the Gloss yet, then maybe use the Semi-Gloss. Worse comes to worse you can spray one sheen over the other.

Too late, I already purchased the Max 2K Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear, and in the process of purchasing the SEM Factory Pack Auto Base coat Paint.
https://www.johnsonautobodysupply.com/SEM-Factory-Pack-Automotive-Basecoat-Aerosol.html
#12423 GM WA8555 Black

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17 2016, 07:40:19 PM »
We didn't use a primer as the paint was just scuffed up. Cleaned it really good & sprayed it on Heavy! If I ever paint it again properly it will have to be taken down a lot as it's got about 1/16" of paint on that sucker! Many years ago I painted an old Gremlin in my garage with a Graco Airless Sprayer & Yellow Tremclad in an old dirty garage & if the Cat never jumped on the hood it would have looked halfway decent!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17 2016, 07:41:27 PM »
I'm sure it will turn out Great, just so many options these days!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17 2016, 08:26:15 PM »
Thanks, for now being it's getting cold I'll just stick to fitting the front bumper fillers, sand and prep both bumper fillers for the same paint as the header panel when it gets warmer.
In the meantime, inside the garage I'm going to try to polish the whole car with a polishing kit.
Will post the result in the future.

Offline puzzledfox

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
How does it look like now?  :icon_smile:

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20 2017, 09:03:34 PM »
I haven't start the project yet since the garage is still cold to spray paint.
All I have been doing is sanding both bumper fillers, header panel, remove hood, and both fender badges to do some minor body dings.
After all of the nicks and dings are repaired, then it's some light DA sanding, spray paint, clear coat, compounding, and then polish.
It's one of those things I do baby steps as I'm not body repairman, nor I'm an auto painter.
In fact all of the things I mention I never did before, but after reading reviewing sites and you tube, I'll give it a try, and if all goes well I well post the results.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30 2017, 08:40:22 PM »
I know my last post has been a while, but many things has happen, including the "honey to do list" and now I finally got the Header Panel, and Bumper Fillers painted.

In my last post I did some body fills to some normal road cracks, and scratches.

After block sanding the body fills, I used a 3M Respirator Painting Spraying Face Gas Mask, and apply 3 coats of black sandable primer, waited until the next day to block sanded with wet/dry 800, used tack cloth.

I spray 3 coats of SEM GM Factory Pack Black (WA8555), 12 oz Aerosol 19423, Wait 10 minutes for each coat.

After the last Black Base coat, I then spray 3 coats of USC 2k Glamour Clear Gloss Clear Coat Spray Max Aerosol, and Wait 10 minutes for each coats.

I was worry at first thinking that after spraying the clear coat I would need to compound to smooth out the orange peel, but finalizing all, it looks like I don't have to do nothing but put it all together.
« Last Edit: September 30 2017, 11:07:55 PM by gnonyx »

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30 2017, 10:25:30 PM »
Looks awesome in the pix. Maybe you could throw down some how to since you say you've not done it before yet it looks like it is second nature to you. Great job!
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30 2017, 11:12:25 PM »
Looks awesome in the pix. Maybe you could throw down some how to since you say you've not done it before yet it looks like it is second nature to you. Great job!
Thanks Rich
I rewrote the procedure I used, but if you like you can pm me your number and I can go into more in detail. Thanks again

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01 2017, 08:05:30 AM »
Looks awesome!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX