Author Topic: Repaint Header Panel  (Read 27874 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Repaint Header Panel
« on: November 12 2016, 01:00:52 PM »
Okay, I'm in the process of painting the header panel after repairing the crack left marker lens support mounting holes that was crack many years ago. I have read many threads on the do's and don't, but I want my 87 GN header panel to match the original body paint if that possible, or just add a primer (what type), and then paint it gloss black color and then spray it with a Spray Max 2K Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear.
 Anyone have some ideas of this process and opinions? Thanks
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Repaint Header Panel
« Reply #1 on: November 12 2016, 06:21:41 PM »
Reviews for that clear are impressive. Sure it wont make the rest of you paint look bad?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13 2016, 09:19:49 AM »
Reviews for that clear are impressive. Sure it wont make the rest of you paint look bad?

Don't know if I don't try it
But I did more research and found that I need to do a base coat paint and not just any gloss paint. I'm also thinking of compounding the whole car since it still has the original factory paint. I will post some pictures of the header panel, showing the crack damage, repaired, and also the both replacement bumper fillers that needs to be painted as well.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14 2016, 07:52:39 PM »
With our paint as old as it is I would try a Semi-Gloss finish clear if you haven't purchased it yet. That Gloss will be pretty shiny altho I've never used that particular product? Even the Satin finish shines up pretty good.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15 2016, 03:02:23 PM »
I was trying to say that if you haven't purchased the Gloss yet, then maybe use the Semi-Gloss. Worse comes to worse you can spray one sheen over the other.

David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15 2016, 06:47:03 PM »
Okay after more researching, I'm going to spray with black SEM Factory Pack Automotive Basecoat Aerosol about 3 coats and then spray 3 coats of Max 2K Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear. If any orange peels develops then I will sand with 1500, compound and polish. The only problem is the temperature not being a least 70*, and living in SC is getting cold. For now I'm just sanding all parts and waiting until the warm climate comes around again. I do have a propane heater, but still having the heater blowing air around in the garage even with the garage door open I might get dirt in the painted parts.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16 2016, 07:26:34 PM »
Okay here are some pictures of the crack Header Panel and also both bumpers filler replacement
I know going with Spoolfull2 Fiberglass bumper filler, but I don't have funds since I already spend a lot of money of redoing our kitchen. I will also post a couple of pictures of the kitchen, and yes I did all of the work.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16 2016, 07:35:40 PM »
Some more pictures of the repaired Header Panel

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16 2016, 07:50:21 PM »
The original finally crack and felt apart, so I got these fillers from EBay for about $120.00 and with free S&H.

The original fillers had metal bracket to which I utilize them for additional bolt on support on the replacement fillers
I'm now on the process of fitting the front bumper fillers

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17 2016, 09:05:51 AM »
Looks like some good work going on in the kitchen and on the car!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17 2016, 09:50:01 AM »
It was my understanding that the particulates that break up the gloss to make semi gloss exist through out the layer.  A gloss on top of semi would be be something in between I suspect?

I imagine you need to ensure a barrier between the old laquer and the new?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17 2016, 10:35:32 AM »
Once the coating is 100% dry then the new top coat will be the shine you see. It may give it a deeper look depending on how many coats total? Also depending on companies the Satin finish might be closer to 25 year old buffed up paint but then your getting pretty picky so lighting would also play a role. Most of us wouldn't notice the difference I bet since we don't go looking for small differences in the sheen.
I could put Gloss on 1 wall of that kitchen (nice job!) Semi on another & Satin on the last wall & I bet 95% of people on a tour of the house would never even catch it. Cars guys would probably notice the header panel more when in a car show setting, but at the coffee shop I would be surprised if 30% noticed it.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17 2016, 10:38:47 AM »
Looks like some good work going on in the kitchen and on the car!

Thanks Jason, The "Honey Do List" is getting shorter :icon_fU:

Now I have to do a lot of sanding and I'm also thinking of getting a Polishing Kit, and try to bring back the shine. There are some dings on the door and some minor scratches, but It's worth a try instead of repainting the car.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
It was my understanding that the particulates that break up the gloss to make semi gloss exist through out the layer.  A gloss on top of semi would be be something in between I suspect?

I imagine you need to ensure a barrier between the old laquer and the new?

You're right about the lacquer layers of paint that might need to be totally remove if your painting your metal car. I'm wondering if sanding down to the point of just breaking through the base of the paint I might be able to spray a primer or an adhesive primer, and then spray the black base, and finally the Max 2K Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17 2016, 11:13:54 AM »
Once the coating is 100% dry then the new top coat will be the shine you see. It may give it a deeper look depending on how many coats total? Also depending on companies the Satin finish might be closer to 25 year old buffed up paint but then your getting pretty picky so lighting would also play a role. Most of us wouldn't notice the difference I bet since we don't go looking for small differences in the sheen.
I could put Gloss on 1 wall of that kitchen (nice job!) Semi on another & Satin on the last wall & I bet 95% of people on a tour of the house would never even catch it. Cars guys would probably notice the header panel more when in a car show setting, but at the coffee shop I would be surprised if 30% noticed it.

That is exactly my problem, I don't know what type of black base the factory used, how many coats (probably 1 coat) and what/how many on clear coats.
I'm not by all means an auto painter, but I did a lot of research, still maybe not enough to the exact original color other than do total repaint job. I will keep sanding down just to the base color, use a primer, and then paint the SEM Factory Pack Auto Base coat Paint, and finally the Max 2K Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal