Author Topic: Shift Kit Installed-questions on how it now shifts  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Shift Kit Installed-questions on how it now shifts
« on: May 18 2014, 10:27:42 PM »
Got my b&m shift kit installed and took it out for a spin.  Its now holding first gear much longer under light throttle and hitting second gear pretty hard.  I backed off the tv cable a couple of clicks and that improved things some.  Rest of  the gears seem more normal but still holding the 1-2  shift a little long and a little jerky on the shift under light throttle.  Nice shifts under aggressive throttle.  Is this normal or should I play with the tv cable adjustment some more?  Before I backed it off the first time it would not go into od at all.  All seems normal now with exception of the 1-2 shift.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Shift Kit Installed-questions on how it now shifts
« Reply #1 on: May 19 2014, 04:36:34 AM »
The TV cable isn't designed to screw with shift points.

i hate to say it but it sounds like you screwed up your transmission with that "shift kit".
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 19 2014, 08:47:38 AM »
My experience is a bit different.    The further the tv cable is pulled out, the harder and the higher mph-the part throttle shifts.  It can also affect shifting going into OD.

On the other hand, every shift kit, that was not modified to work with the 200-4R as part of an overhaul, seems to do exactly as this one did.

the Transgo No Yo Yo kit seems to be used by more rebuilders than others from what I have seen and even it seems to be modded a bit by the experienced.  The Art Carr shiftkit seemed to work well on stock trannies in the old day when no other mods were involved.
« Last Edit: May 19 2014, 09:02:43 AM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
Let's hear what you changed. I have b&m instructions but haven't read them over recently. Are you certain you changed the correct spool springs in the vb? Did you do anything to the governor?

Without knowing much, it sounds like the 1-2 spring in the vb was altered.

Please post up what you changed so we can get a clearer picture.

From what I remember the b&m kit doesn't change much.

Let us know.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19 2014, 09:48:59 AM »
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/valvebody.html

Look over this diagram to compare to what you actually did. Make sure you modded the correct spool.
Rich

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20 2014, 04:31:49 PM »
When I had my tranny rebuilt I had them put in a kit, dont know what, and it shifts hard into second on light throttle also. I just step into it a bit harder than my daily driver, not WOT but just a bit more than normal and that smooths it out fine.
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20 2014, 10:48:24 PM »
If memory serves me correctly I replaced the spring labeled 319.  Out of town at the moment so will verify this when I get home.  Shifting was much better after moving the tv cable out a couple of clicks.  When I reset it initially it only moved out a couple of clicks initially.   Have never reset it  before so dont know what it should have done.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21 2014, 04:14:51 PM »
Most if not all kits do something there at the 319. That is the line bias valve. You might take that line bias spring you took out and put it in the 321 accumulator position. Otto, among others reccomended this to me.
Rich

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21 2014, 06:05:34 PM »
Can you do that without dropping the valve body? I don't have separator plate gaskets and one atf shampoo a month is more than enough for me!

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21 2014, 11:23:48 PM »
No, vb must come down. It can wait til the next service I would guess.
Rich

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22 2014, 09:14:33 PM »
Going on Power Tour in a few weeks and dont want to live with it for 2400 miles shifting the way it is.  So I guess here I go again!

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24 2014, 10:12:52 AM »
As pointed out above the tv cable isn't a shift point adjustment. The tv cable is the "Eyes" of the transmission that tells the trans how much throttle you are using and how much the trans needs to increase the internal pressure to compensate for the additional power you are putting through it. When you have the pan off, verify that at wfo(That is wot for the less wild) the plunger on the tv valve on the valve body is fully depressed. Adjust tv cable to have this take place and mark the cable as this is where you want it to be.

www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

You didn't say if you changed anything on the governor.
Verify what you did change was the right thing to change as a lot of it looks the same, but does way different things in the trans.
Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal