Author Topic: Cooler install pictures  (Read 15417 times)

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Cooler install pictures
« on: August 05 2012, 01:42:12 AM »
I need to install a trans cooler, and I am looking for pictures of other guys setups for ideas how to mount.  I am going to buy a bar and plate style cooler, and want to install it in front of my condenser.  I am not going to use the zip ties that go through the condensor so I am just looking for ideas for how to mount it.  I am thinking about making some kind of brackets maybe out of aluminum strap. 

I should also add I have seen pictures of where guys have installed them under the car and under the battery tray and such.  I don't have a front mount and don't want to deal with wiring a fan right now, so I just want to put it up front.

Thanks

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Cooler install pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 05 2012, 09:52:53 AM »
Most I have seen were tied to the pair of cross bars in front of the condensor..zip ties, tie wraps, whatever they are called is the easiest way
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05 2012, 11:42:19 AM »
Most I have seen were tied to the pair of cross bars in front of the condensor..zip ties, tie wraps, whatever they are called is the easiest way

I have done this on all Trs I have owned.. If I can, I use 2 cable ties per corner, large, strong cable ties too. I haven't had one fail yet.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
Ok I will go look at the car and see how that will work out.  Along that same track I found this where instead of zip ties someone used the rubber insulated clamps, I will look into that too.  http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/installation-tips-on-a-hayden-1679-trans-cooler.374369/

I also found different variations of this:  http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/attachments/transmission-section/30630d1201215963-trans-cooler-img_0172.jpg

My question about that is what is are they using with the two bolts to clamp onto the supports.   I might try to do something using that clamp arrangement, mount the cooler to the far PS to the core support itself and then use a clamp like that on just one end. 

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05 2012, 01:02:27 PM »
Ok I will go look at the car and see how that will work out.  Along that same track I found this where instead of zip ties someone used the rubber insulated clamps, I will look into that too.  http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/installation-tips-on-a-hayden-1679-trans-cooler.374369/

I also found different variations of this:  http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/attachments/transmission-section/30630d1201215963-trans-cooler-img_0172.jpg

My question about that is what is are they using with the two bolts to clamp onto the supports.   I might try to do something using that clamp arrangement, mount the cooler to the far PS to the core support itself and then use a clamp like that on just one end.

There's a myriad of ways to attach them. I like the insulated clamp idea.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05 2012, 01:45:28 PM »
Those clamps real name is "adel clamps"(actually it's  "MS21919 aircraft clamp" as Adel is a brand name ).  I'm sure you'd can get a huge bag off the internets for the same price as a local 5-pack.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
It looks good!
I realized you are missing one of the support bars so I can understand why the vertical bar to support external tranny cooler.
I got a "U" shape clamp from Home Depot and installed the external tranny cooler on both support bars.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
How did you hook up the external tranny coolers hose?
Wait something like this?
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05 2012, 03:23:31 PM »
I bought a few bags of the Ideal brand insulated clamps off of eBay very cheap.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05 2012, 09:36:47 PM »
It looks good!
I realized you are missing one of the support bars so I can understand why the vertical bar to support external tranny cooler.
I got a "U" shape clamp from Home Depot and installed the external tranny cooler on both support bars.

Were they from the electrical section?

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05 2012, 09:37:31 PM »
Thanks for the pictures everyone.  Now i have some ideas.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05 2012, 10:43:20 PM »
It looks good!

Were they from the electrical section?

I believe they were in the garage door section and the "U" shape threaded ends are 10-24

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07 2012, 08:16:47 AM »
Here's what I have installed. Bought it in a kit, comes complete with a powder coated mounting bracket & hardware + trick 5/16" reverse flare fittings on connecting hoses.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 07 2012, 08:49:43 AM »
Nice!  It will take an Earl Brown inspiration to top that! :041: :027:
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
I agree this kit is great, and it's made to be a plug and play type, and it should be if you're going to spend $280.00.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Grand-National-Custom-Transmission-Cooler-Kit-/320851552093?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab43e275d&vxp=mtr

Personnally, my external tranny cooler, and the supported hardware cost was about $50.00, and that's for something that is out of sight.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal