Author Topic: Turbo Tech  (Read 58850 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Turbo Tech
« Reply #150 on: July 25 2018, 09:49:17 PM »
What do you use for tire height?
A different type of tire will have a different height at any given speed and will yield  a different slip %. That's ok to compare 1 converter to another. but not 100% accurate. If you are logging driveshaft rpm then you are heading in the right direction.

Also on that page it would seem to infer changing tire size changes actual gear ratio.
What do the numbers mean eg 411.and how does tire size affect that.

I normally run the correct speedometer gear in the transmission for the tire height in order to get the scantool to report the correct speed.

If you use a formula, one normally inputs final transmission gear ratio such as 1:1 and and differential ratio such as 3.42 plus tire diameter.  Using that info, one can easily calculate theoretical speed. Comparing theoretical to actual gives us the slippage.

What we do not have a grip on is any tire growth and/or slippage that may be occurring but the answer is close enuf to give us a good idea as to what the converter is doing at that given point in time.

Tire diameter affects the apparent gear ratio at the tire as it interacts with the road surface. Put a set of 34" tires on a jeep that had 25" tires originally, and you can easily feel the apparent difference in the gearing.

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 25 2018, 09:56:25 PM »
Some of the slowest cars I have ever seen are owned by guys that love technology and buy all kinds of the latest and the greatest.  Problem is there is a big difference out of buying tech and talking tech and actually getting the benefit out of it.

Then you have the group that loves to kick your ass with their old tech because they know how to put a working combination together and they know how to drive their cars.

There is also a group that understand modern tech and can actually use it but that is a smaller group and you don't find them talking bs on the Net.  They are on the track learning how to use it.
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 25 2018, 10:09:03 PM »
Tyler...is the 6765 in Reeds car have the new wheel in it? If not...will it?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 25 2018, 10:24:59 PM »
Tyler...is the 6765 in Reeds car have the new wheel in it? If not...will it?

Do you mean the 6765 that ran the 11.17 or whatever it was?

I am literally asking Reed as we speak.

Hopefully he will have time to answer me tonight. If not, then tomorrow.

[/size]Some of the slowest cars I have ever seen are owned by guys that love technology and buy all kinds of the latest and the greatest.  Problem is there is a big difference out of buying tech and talking tech and actually getting the benefit out of it.Then you have the group that loves to kick your ass with their old tech because they know how to put a working combination together and they know how to drive their cars.There is also a group that understand modern tech and can actually use it but that is a smaller group and you don't find them talking bs on the Net.  They are on the track learning how to use it.

I agree on all points.

Reed falls into the last group, without question. It is why I respect him so much.

My local buddy, who helps me with local sales/etc, is in the same boat as the last group... He used to run his own Pro Stock team in the 90's. The guy was running 8.20's in the early 2000's.

When he bought Dave Bamford's car it was running 8.90s. The same day that he purchased the car from Dave, he was able to make it run 8.50's before they left the track that day. Ultimately he got the car into the 8.20s.

When it comes to on-track suspension tuning/adjustments, or how to address the power management for the track, this guy is second to very few people in the country.

I know that I have A LOT to learn with these cars. The best I can do is to align myself with people like Reed and my buddy, who can educate me and help me grow in a positive manner and be supportive of my search for knowledge.

I am really looking forward to what we will achieve on this local car that will be running the new WORK G4S 6765 DBB Turbo that we just ordered! I am hoping for some SOLID low 9's on a car with a TurboTweak 6.1 chip, iron heads, and old ATR roller cam... I think it'll show everyone that old tech can still kick some ass, if you supplement it in the right way ;)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 25 2018, 10:28:30 PM »
Yes...the 6765 on Reeds car.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 25 2018, 10:28:44 PM »
Some of the slowest cars I have ever seen are owned by guys that love technology and buy all kinds of the latest and the greatest.  Problem is there is a big difference out of buying tech and talking tech and actually getting the benefit out of it.
I'll just see myself out...
LOL.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25 2018, 10:41:58 PM »
I didn't say I was looking for a new turbo. The 6262 is the go to turbo...and I'm asking questions for those that would like to step up to one with this new wheel. Bison cracked the 9's with a 6265...a stock short block...and pair of heads. Should be enuf turbo for most.As far as Arts convertors go...a used one can be had for a the price of a cup of coffee...as everyone has jumped ship to PTC. Slip rate for this 16930 comes in in the single digits...and I can get it flash off the line to 4 grand with minor low gear tuning for 1.5x launches. Maftpro and Gen 2 went the way of the dodo...Erics 5.7 chip is still here.

So then why is BoostedRPS wasting his time here developing new parts and combinations if we've had it figured out for a decade or more?If he is going to be successful somebody is going to need to step up and buy in with their dollar votes, and shun accepted practices along the way.With the relatively narrow powerbands these little V6s suffer from they can use all the help they can get as it relates to spool time, torque multiplication, rpm drop management between gears, and the ability to have 0% converter slippage.

I do have a name, in case you were curious... it is Tyler :)

I do not consider myself as "wasting" time answering Brad's questions. I view Brad's questions as representative of what many people may be curious about, but fear posting and asking the question, or may not know exactly what questions to ask. I think Brad is helpful with his questions because it poses a lot of questions that beckon answers which address common concerns or ideologies that may be resistant or curious about these new turbos and what benefits they have, or why they are worth their various prices.
Tyler, I wasn't insinuating you were wasting your time on Brad's inquiry.  However, it s a bit strange that on one hand Brad is singing your praises (justifiably so, I am sure), yet on the other hand he is preaching a shoestring approach and rejecting change (I get you aren't made of money Brad) and the lack of necessity (like any of us NEED to do this hobby) - it just looks like mixed messaging.  I was stating that all the effort you are putting into defining new performance parameters is going to be lost on the masses if the masses choose not to step away from accepted practices - and it doesn't help when a guy (Brad) has been successful using proven methods seemingly denounces progress.
Yup, old dogs and new tricks... uphill battle... got it.

This is why I run stock junk...cuz it pisses people off. I drag the most from the least. I'm quite happy being a vendors nightmare.
Then why the interest in a new turbo?I get there are many ways to skin a cat.  However, if I was new to this or looking to upgrade from old tech - it would be well worth the leap into contemporary parts, in my opinion.

Are you saying that the cost for new turbos, compared to old turbos, IS worth it? Or is NOT?

See above, Tyler. Beyond facilitating conversation - it seems improbable he'd jump to a WORK turbo, so why raise the issue?  I fully support the innovation.  Again... got it, we are all just talking here.

Tyler.

Said it three times so now I won't forget your name, Tyler.  See! It worked!
« Last Edit: July 26 2018, 09:50:38 AM by motorhead »
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 25 2018, 10:46:19 PM »

The wheel he used was actually the first "Gen" of the G4 wheel that we used today.

So if you figure that the wheel he used has been improved upon MANY times over, then it stands to reason that if he were to make that run again using the current G4 6765 DBB, there would be a real improvement in the car's ET and MPH.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 25 2018, 11:20:59 PM »

The wheel he used was actually the first "Gen" of the G4 wheel that we used today.

So if you figure that the wheel he used has been improved upon MANY times over, then it stands to reason that if he were to make that run again using the current G4 6765 DBB, there would be a real improvement in the car's ET and MPH.

Thanks. I'm keeping an eye on Patrick Rubio at BG. I'd be using the TA Street head instead of the reworked stockers he's using. He's got an AC convertor in the car and a TT chip. Bottom end is stock. I'm expecting mid 10's without even trying. Turbo is a Precision...th e equivalent of Reeds 6765. Patrick will do a complete rundown on the tune on the car etc. I have a transmission that can handle 9 second power...and I run the 1/8th...which is less stressful...so the bottom end should hold up. If I can't find an AC 19930 up here...then I'll talk to my trans guy up here about restalling my 16930. You'll have to talk to Reed about how much stall for the 6765 with the new wheel and BB option. I wanna test with the Champion stock appearing intake I run against the full race version. I wanna see what Patrick does first.

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 25 2018, 11:35:22 PM »

Thanks. I'm keeping an eye on Patrick Rubio at BG. I'd be using the TA Street head instead of the reworked stockers he's using. He's got an AC convertor in the car and a TT chip. Bottom end is stock. I'm expecting mid 10's without even trying. Turbo is a Precision...th e equivalent of Reeds 6765. Patrick will do a complete rundown on the tune on the car etc. I have a transmission that can handle 9 second power...and I run the 1/8th...which is less stressful...so the bottom end should hold up. If I can't find an AC 19930 up here...then I'll talk to my trans guy up here about restalling my 16930. You'll have to talk to Reed about how much stall for the 6765 with the new wheel and BB option. I wanna test with the Champion stock appearing intake I run against the full race version. I wanna see what Patrick does first.

Gotcha.

Stall with the 6765 DBB on 110 race gas would start around 3300-3400. If you were running E85, I'd say more like 3,100-3,200 but I know Reed will say on gas 3,300-3,400 for your car. I know this because I've already asked him for ya ;)

He would recommend to start with a 3,400rpm stall and see how the car performs. If the car spools faster than what we're guessing it will, considering the gasoline-based fuel and a flat tappet camshaft, then you could use a lower stall. Best to start a bit higher and have too much stall, then not enough. You can always have your converter guy change the stall speed if you need it lowered, but 3,400rpm would be a good starting place.

Unless you plan to convert to E85, or swap to an aggressive roller cam, etc.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 25 2018, 11:41:14 PM »
In other words, use what you've got 🤣
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 25 2018, 11:50:37 PM »
No E 85 up here...and the flat tappet stays. I'd rather it be a tad tighter...and Scoob can tune around it for the track. If it spools slow on the street, I don't care cuz I just cruise the car.

My car right now on Erics default settings with the 5.7 is so slow on the short time...you can get out and run faster. Dial in the low gear fuel and timing and it's a whole different animal.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26 2018, 10:26:51 AM »
If ya'll don't learn to cut and paste quotes and separate your answers from the quotes, I am going to make a tour and  apply a permanent fix!
Steve Wood

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26 2018, 03:12:00 PM »
I hate it when Dad yells at us.   :(
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 26 2018, 04:51:45 PM »
If ya'll don't learn to cut and paste quotes and separate your answers from the quotes, I am going to make a tour and  apply a permanent fix!

Thank God I don't know how to cut and paste. I love being stupid!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal