Author Topic: external transmission cooler  (Read 14927 times)

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
external transmission cooler
« on: February 02 2012, 05:27:57 PM »
My radiator only has 1 useable cooler / heat exchanger in it now. When I last had my radiator re-cored some years ago, I was told that one of the internal coolers in the rad tank was damaged beyone use. So, I have been using the one remaining internal cooler for my oil lines.
My transmission lines go to an external air cooled transmission cooler which is mounted in front of the radiator fins.

I am changing over from my stock D5 convertor to a 10" PTC 2800 Stall L/up unit and am concerned about extra temps / higher heat in the transmission fluid.

Am I OK the way my set up is now? I do understand that liquid is much more efficient at cooling. Or, should I invest in a new radiator with both tanks & route my transmission lines into the radiator end tank cooler / exchanger first, then have this feed the air cooled transmission cooler which would then go back into the transmission?

This is a street car / driver and track use would be very limited (if at all).
Car is stored in winter and will not see cold weather driving conditons.

Just looking for some guidance or insight on this subject.

Thanks,

dave

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: external transmission cooler
« Reply #1 on: February 02 2012, 05:47:58 PM »
after reading a lot, I have changed my mind (no, I did not trade it in)a few times.

As long as it is a decent sized cooler, it should be fine as it is.

Engine oil should be a minimum temperature for best results whereas tranny fluid does not need to warm up to work correctly according to all the material I have seen recently.  Therefore, let the coolant warm it up and let the tranny fluid see the air.

I doubt that a ten inch, lock up will generate very much more heat than the factory converter except when racing-then it will probably get a bit warmer.

I always get a tranny cooler rated over 20,000 lbs which is one of the larger ones and I prefer the plate style like B&M sells rather than the finned ones like Permacool sells.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
From what I've read the 10" should run cooler than the stock one, but as Steve pointed out, get the plate style cooler to make it more efficient. :)
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
I have a weird one i got on eBay = I'm using it as a trans cooler - now I am getting suspicious of the in-rad oil cooler (trash in it). May start looking for an aftermarket oil cooler.

Lower right...

'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02 2012, 08:14:02 PM »
Picture of my new setup.  B&M transcooler w/fan.  I also have the  10" PTC 2800 Stall L/up.  Have not driven it yet.  More to come...
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02 2012, 08:38:06 PM »
I put one just behind the license plate once.  First time I entered my driveway, it knocked the fan off!  Apparently my lowered car did not like that mounting position?
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
You won't see any higher trans temps while you're driving. When you footbrake the car...or throw it on the transbrake...i s when the temps will soar. You don't race your car...so a stock setup will do you just fine.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
Here's what I used for the TH400 swap: http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/buick-v6-turbo-tech/83880-few-more-upgrades.html

I find this 3 speed (w/ 9.5" converter) setup runs hotter than the 4 speed simply due to the extra RPM... but, I run a mix of John Deere HyGard and Type-F to combat any issues associated with temperature.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline TURBOPOWERED68

• David
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12 2012, 07:27:36 PM »
My trans guy told me to USE the one in the radiator (water) first then external one (air) as that would give me maximum cooling. SO thats how i have mines set up.
« Last Edit: April 12 2012, 07:31:42 PM by TURBOPOWERED68 »
Most talk about having thick skin but thats just BS.
This damn attitude of "you didn't listen to us/me now you should burn in hell for it" really sucks.

Offline gbsean

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buickperfomancegroup.com
« Reply #9 on: April 12 2012, 09:38:15 PM »
Picture of my new setup.  B&M transcooler w/fan.  I also have the  10" PTC 2800 Stall L/up.  Have not driven it yet.  More to come...

I had something similar but was mounted under battery tray and was an oil and trans cooler with T-stat...I wired the t-stat into the low rad fan circuit with a switch to turn off both fans after staging...so not to get current draw...at end of 1/4 I would turn back on.

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12 2012, 10:18:24 PM »
I remember reading awhile back about some guys using their ac condenser as a trans cooler.  aperantly it would cool so well that the fluid wouldn't get up to temp.  could be bs, but interesting nevertheless
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12 2012, 10:27:36 PM »
Most things I read say that tranny fluid does not need to get up to any particular temp...so I guess that part is bs? :)
Steve Wood

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
Most things I read say that tranny fluid does not need to get up to any particular temp...so I guess that part is bs? :)

how you doing steve?  always good to see you here!

i don't know, so I'm asking, .... 
why does manufacture want you to check trans fluid level when trans is at normal operating temp?   is it just because of the expansion cause of heat? and nothing to do with its function?
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12 2012, 11:24:34 PM »
I don't think it matters with normal climates.  I would think having a big trans cooler at 50 below zero would cause havoc on the trans pump.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13 2012, 12:11:16 AM »

how you doing steve?  always good to see you here!

i don't know, so I'm asking, .... 
why does manufacture want you to check trans fluid level when trans is at normal operating temp?   is it just because of the expansion cause of heat? and nothing to do with its function?

yes, when hot it reaches higher on the stick....

with regard to temp, most things I have read say that for each 20 degs above 175, the life of the fluid is cut in half...Life is projected to be around 100,000 miles at 175, I think.

On the cold end, viscosity increases very quickly once the temp has dropped to zero degs.  I think some of the synthetic fluids do better.

When you stall the converter against the brakes, the temp shoots up like a rocket....the bigger the aftermarket cooler you can install, the better and it needs air flow across it, obviously

a thermostatic flow control is needed if you are driving in Fairbanks in the winter
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal