Author Topic: Exhaust Smells Rich  (Read 6631 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust Smells Rich
« Reply #15 on: October 09 2017, 09:10:50 AM »
Let's do a comparison. Setting up Gen 2 vs setting up Translator.

Gen 2........http://turbotweak.com/gen2translator.pdf

Translator.... ..http://turbotweak.com/translatorinstructions.pdf

Any questions? Class dismissed.

Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 09 2017, 09:35:12 AM »
I have seen so many experienced experts give contradictory instructions as to how to set up a gen 2 that I swore I would never try to help anyone with one.

I also struggle to wonder why people, today, insist on trying to adjust fueling with the Translator and the fuel pressure regulator rather than programming the simple to program TT chips.  The original Translator is a wonderful and extremely useful product.  It was designed before the day of the modern programmable chip which gives one the ability to finely tweak the fueling.  The Gen2 was basically obsolete before it hit the market altho it gives us the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound.  It was complicated to install and complicated to use once installed.  Basically, it is a DOS product whereas today's chips are Windows friendly.

All the smart guys loved it, but, they seldom could agree on how to use it.

I get emails frequently telling me that added 8% to the fueling with the translator after I told them to add 3% with the chip....they feel comfortable turning a dial as compared to reading the instructions on how to adjust the chip.

I am thinking of buying Brad a Megasquirt for Christmas.  That might be fun to learn.  Even more funner to watch him continue to outrun the high dollar, high tech slugs!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
The Cat I had on all these years was damaged inside which I assume caused some kind of turbulence or back pressure & caused the raw fuel smell. Now that it's hollowed out the smell is gone that was the only change I made. I'm just happy it worked!

Brad I have the 3" MAF & now since the Gen 2 started losing some settings with Power Off maybe I'll send it back to Bob Bailey. I also have a chip from him I picked up at the same time (2009-2010) & used about a month. Tried it on Friday & the car just stumbles & won't run properly so maybe it will go back as well with the Gen 2 & he can give me a little break on a new Translator or one of his new products. I'm not up to date on what's out there but I want something pretty Basic. The only setting I really use is +- fuel which Eric's 6.1 chip already does.

Steve I saw your post after I added mine & your right the Gen 2 was a PITA to wire up
« Last Edit: October 09 2017, 09:59:20 AM by Just a Six? »
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09 2017, 10:08:43 AM »
Dave...go over to my weekend racing thread...and check how fast I retuned the car in morning trials. In regards to the Translator...l eave the WOT switch settings alone...and adjust via Erics chip...and leave the fuel pressure at per Erics instructions. Set the base knob and the dip switches in the Translator...a nd you're good to go.

Here's a vid on how to adjust Erics chip via the SM....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P72WVIq7KZM

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #19 on: October 09 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
Dave, the original Maf T translator is all that is needed.  Set it to the defaults.  Take the 6.1 chip.  Set the fueling for first gear to 11.0, leave the fueling for third gear at the default 10.8.  Set the boost to 25 psi and go have fun.  That is all there is to it!

The ABC's of tuning brought to you by Brad and Steve
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09 2017, 12:21:49 PM »
Thanks guys, the Translator sounds like the way to go especially since I'm just not into fine tuning all the different parameters & especially since I don't see many track days anymore. I've been using Eric's chips for years so I know how to adjust them.
I'm also going to install the smaller "P" trim housing I got from Joe in Quebec years ago instead of the "Q" trim that's been on the 67 turbo since I got it from Billy Anderson years ago.
This progress may just light a fire back under me. I just haven't had much interest the last 3-4 years but my energy levels are much higher now both mentally & physically.
Thanks again for leading me in the right direction! [size=78%] [/size] :cheers: [/size][size=78%] [/size]

David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
The Translator has a BLM idle setting. I leave mine alone. Idle BLM's on mine are 118. Rich...nah. Only thing you smell from my exhaust is a hint of race gas. Don't lay awake at nite worrying your idle BLM's aren't bang on 128.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09 2017, 01:36:46 PM »
It has to have a bit of gas smell or it's not a Hotrod!  :rock:
« Last Edit: October 09 2017, 03:13:21 PM by Just a Six? »
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
This year I got a 3.5 LS-1 MAF from Earl. I just changed the BASE setting to 2 (10% leaner@idle) and the rich idle smell cleared up a lot.
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09 2017, 05:46:44 PM »
Dave, make sure to have a Denso 02 sensor in the engine that's in good shape. Erics 6.1 chip uses the NB for normal driving. The WB takes over once you're up in boost.

Eric himself shuts the mid boost correction off. Mid boost is between 140-220 grams per second. WOT correction is above 220 grams per second.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09 2017, 07:49:41 PM »
Brad I've got a Denso in there now & picked up a hand full years back at the BPG events.
I'll swap in a new one when I change the turbo housing.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09 2017, 09:06:59 PM »
David used to change his Denso ever 6 months, you know, each time he pulled the engine for a re-gasket/rebuild.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10 2017, 02:30:27 PM »
Dave that seems like a long time ago & I have no desire to do it again! At least not just for something to do when I'm bored. Unless the engine is toasted it's staying right where it is!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11 2017, 11:50:44 AM »
David used to change his Denso ever 6 months, you know, each time he pulled the engine for a re-gasket/rebuild.

I may have Dave beat. Here's a list of engine pulls in my car.

1. Original engine had the cam going in it in when I purchased it. Beat on it till the one cylinder dropped to 90 pounds.

2. Had a backup engine from one of the locals. It lasted till it cracked a cylinder and dumped the rad into the pan.

3. Had that engine sleeved over the winter. Halfway through the next season it cracked another cylinder...but this time right up to the deck. Scrapped the block and kept the rotating assembly. Went back to the original engine that I had freshened up on backup.

4. Got stupid and didn't use high quality reinforced vacuum hose from the port to the actuator. The cheap stuff collapsed...pu ck didn't open...kaboom!

5. Race gas rotted the puck assembly. It somehow got jammed up on a run while it broke apart...puck got stuck...kaboom!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal