Author Topic: Spark Plugs?  (Read 10370 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Spark Plugs?
« Reply #30 on: August 08 2018, 01:01:41 PM »
Spark plug heat range has nothing to do with coolant temp, head temp, or cylinder temp.

It's just a description of how thermally coupled/decoupled it is from the 'cold' cylinder head.   A hotter plug has an electrode that's hanging out like a big ass heat absorbing heat sink.  A 'cold' plug has a very short projection.  It's just a description of the physical layout.

The only reason the adjustability is there is to fine tune around the exact engine and usage.  Too cold, and the plug can't get got enough to burn off the carbon. Carbon is conductive, so as soon as a path from the center electrode hits ground, the plug is shorted and can't fire.   Too hot, and the spark plug suddenly starts acting like a glow plug.  Also not good.

The window is pretty wide between those two extremes.   Since we're hotrodders and push our engines to around double the factory HP, the window gets narrower  (and spark plug QC becomes much much more important).

Picking out the heat range is easy. Put in a new set of plugs, kick the shit out of it, pull the plugs and look at the first few threads. You only want a couple of threads looking dull and 'burnt'. If 6 or 7 threads are obviously color changed from heat, you need a colder plug.

There should be a color change band right in the curve of the side electrode.  That show timing, but this thread doesn't pertain to timing....

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
43's worked fine from idle to 28 PSI. I have a friend that wrenches on a Super Stock car. Think it runs 9's and is NA. On back to back dyno runs changing the gap made no difference in HP.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08 2018, 01:46:00 PM »
http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/tech-info-spark-plugs.cfm

Plugs remove heat from combustion chambers...... or so says ngk.
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #33 on: August 08 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
A wide gap seems to improve idle and increase plug life on longer cammed, rich idle car and reduces plug fouling.  Multi-spark ignition does the same thing.  Better burn, better emissions.

All these high voltage, plasma, or whatever ignitions seem to do nothing for hp as long as the spark is adequate to light the mixture.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08 2018, 02:40:35 PM »
Yep. It's a binary thing.   The plug either lights off the mixture correctly, or it doesn't.

If you're already lighting it off correctly, you can't light it off 'even more correctly' and see a HP gain.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08 2018, 09:22:25 PM »
Looks like NGK UR-5s are the choice by far
Steve Wood

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01 2020, 08:11:14 PM »

Good reading material, I'm starting to get ready for my spring time oil change & see what's up with the plugs. I think I have some Delco & maybe some NGK from years ago but I don't know for sure. I'm also going to try the Restore Oil Additive for before & after compression numbers. I'll start a new thread when I'm done but work hasn't slowed down during this Virus so it may take a while. 
Cheers & Happy Hot Rodding!   :cheers:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12 2020, 02:36:30 AM »
I have ran the autolite 25 heat range and life was good. I did try a set of NGK UR-5 ran good but the heat rang just a tad bit cold. Nothing to worry about, found that the Autolite 24 is in between the UR4 and 5  the Ur 4 is the NGK plug for our Buick. I hope the 24 it’s a good fit. My 25 wasn’t really to hot but it wouldn’t hurt if it was a little cooler
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12 2020, 09:05:40 AM »
From autolite, I like the 23 and the 23 racing.  Seems to work well with all boosts.  I always thought the NGK UR5 was good, but, but the 4 is even warmer. 
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12 2020, 10:04:28 AM »
CR 43 TS from your friendly GM dealer.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12 2020, 05:13:48 PM »
After the winter car cover came off I started the car to get oil pressure but only ran it a minute so engine was cold when testing.
I pulled all plugs out & did my compression check & this is what I got. I'm going to check them again so I'm sure of the numbers now that I've been for a drive. After that I'll add the Restore & see what happens. 

#1  145                    #2  155                       
#3  145                    #4  145
#5  145                    #6  155
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12 2020, 05:56:46 PM »
that will be interesting!  those numbers are not bad at all
Steve Wood

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
David, you've changed.
I'm sure there was a time when you would have yanked that engine out for a 10lb spread! :) :)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12 2020, 07:54:11 PM »
Good numbers.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12 2020, 07:54:15 PM »
Steve you know me too well  :D it's actually been on my mind since the engine is over 10 years old now & has a few of the typical leaks & it's pretty dirty. My back is feeling half decent so I figure it might be a now or never kind of thing? Probably take me a couple months & my only concern is getting the trans back in with motor installed. Mike login "TType White?? with the White T that runs 9's or 8's? was always my go to guy to come over & muscle it in but we haven't spoken since the last install. Maybe one of the younger guys wants to make some $$ to take the family out for dinner? What to do what to do?  :chin:   
« Last Edit: June 12 2020, 08:02:52 PM by Just a Six? »
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal