Tech Area > Paint and Body

78 Malibu Paint

(1/8) > >>

bryes:
My life has been pretty crazy lately with projects and other thing. Most of my time lately has been spent helping my uncle paint his '78 Malibu (454, pretty quick) recently. He taught me to paint my Camaro back in the 90s, so I owe him!

As can be seen below, the car was pretty straight but did have some rust issues being in Ohio for the last couple decades. We have most stripped to bare metal now:

bryes:
The above picture you can see the quarter cut out because of rust.

Below is the door, both sides are similar. I made some pieces for the bottom and have them welded in now.  The car is going to be a driver, so no concourse restoration here .

bryes:
It's a bad picture but the quarter here was replaced, they cut another out of a car and welded it in. No replacing the entire panel like in the shows that I've seen, and that's the way it will stay.

We hope to have it finished in the next few weeks, so I'll add more as we progress. This rust repair is time consuming and we still have to prep a lot of the detail areas. He wants it clear coated black, I'm trying to convince him to go white or flat black! Don't think I'll win that one, so we'll have our hands full.

If we stick to our plan, I'll be spraying it with urethane, probably summit brand which I think is Kirker.  We're going with epoxy primer then 2k, then epoxy sealer and probably single stage black then clear. I'd rather do base/clear but we'll see.

daveismissing:
go to hotroddors.com and read up on SPI polyur. Didn't think Kirkers had many fans...

bryes:
Yeah I suggested spi and even offered to donate my epoxy primer to no avail!    Guess we found the only kirker fan? .he's used it and likes it and is on a tight budget.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version