Author Topic: Turbo Tech  (Read 59899 times)

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Tech
« Reply #165 on: July 26 2018, 04:51:46 PM »
If ya'll don't learn to cut and paste quotes and separate your answers from the quotes, I am going to make a tour and  apply a permanent fix!

All the quote marks get confusing..

If you made it easy to quote mulitiple responses it'd be a big help!

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 26 2018, 06:11:15 PM »
No E 85 up here...

You also don't have the IRS up your ass.  Isn't it legal to make 'shine up there??   

Screw messing up the hooch with low octane gasoline.   Make your own and leave it 30% water.   Best of both worlds.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #167 on: July 26 2018, 06:31:18 PM »
Been thinking about that
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 26 2018, 06:51:56 PM »
So checkout this new turbo that WORK is releasing today! I am the EXCLUSIVE vendor for this thing, and I have to say that I feel incredibly blessed to be able to sell a product of this caliber!

Here is a copy and paste of the post I put up on TBcom and the FB groups:

WORK Turbo and RPS are PROUD to offer a BRAND NEW Turbo for those looking to maximize their 3-bolt turbo setup! This turbo uses a .85 AR Buick 3 Bolt turbine housing, and a 4" inlet, 3" outlet Compressor housing. This turbo is rated to 1,100hp.

To quote Reed Partridge, the owner of WORK Turbochargers, he has this to say about this turbo:
"This has our 72mm compressor wheel, and our 9 bladed 76x68mm turbine wheel. This exhaust wheel is produced in Germany and is a full Inconelpiece, the compressor wheel, backplate and housing are all made right here in the states. It still uses a special Garrett ball bearing center housing, made in Japan or their Mexico facility. The 9 bladed option makes it ideal for peak flow, low mass and optimal performance in a smaller volute turbine housing, like the 3 bolt Buick.

(This Turbo Includes) Full ball bearing, water cooled and every possible update to make it 100% bad ass. "

This turbo has a price of $2,250 plus shipping, and this price INCLUDES the required water lines and oil feed fitting, which are an almost $200 value.

This turbo is a DIRECT competitor of the Precision Gen 2 CEA 6870 turbo, except this turbo costs a few hundred dollars less.

If you have any questions about this turbo, please call 707 362 6030 or email us at 1987GN@gmail.com

Thank you!
Tyler
www.boostedrps.com

THE NEW TURBOS WILL NOT HAVE THE SANDING/GRIDING MARKS ON THE COMPRESSOR HOUSING THAT THE TURBO HOUSING BELOW HAS.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 27 2018, 08:54:57 AM »
This turbo is rated to 1,100hp
[/size][/color]
[/size]Tyler. please explain what that means.[/color]

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 27 2018, 10:34:36 AM »

It takes a given amount of air and a matching appropriate amount of fuel to create enuf heat to generate a theoretical hp.

The turbo is an air pump and the amount of air it generates could be measured or calculated. When the turbo is employed, we must move away from cfm.

One formula to compute a theoretical amount of hp is:       CFM x 0.069 x 10 = maximum horsepower that a turbo can theoretically support.

We used to see turbos listed with a cfm number and max hp supported.  The above formula usually matched up between the two.  As turbos compress the air, we have to deal with lbs of air mass per minute instead of cfm to take into account the increased number of oxygen molecules per cfm.  I would guess the hp potential is based upon the compressor map at the peak of the efficiency zone. 

I think one must have a good combination to get close to this number

Tyler may have a more modern formula?
Steve Wood

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 27 2018, 10:40:21 AM »
CFM can actually cause confusion as most don't understand the difference between ACFM (actual cubic feet per minute) which is adjusted to actual temperature and pressure and SCFM (standard cubic feet per minute) which is adjusted to standard temperature and pressure.  These are volumetric air flow units compared to lbs/hr which is a mass flow unit.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 27 2018, 12:43:14 PM »
It just seems to me there is a basic ''premise'' missing.

If I put said turbo on a 1 liter motor  it will make 1000 hp?

If i put said turbo on a 16 liter motor  IT will make 1000 hp ?

What does ''support'' mean in this context?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 27 2018, 02:05:33 PM »
If the engine can inhale enuf charged air to make 1000 hp, then the turbo can "support" it.  Substitute Provide for Support
Steve Wood

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 27 2018, 03:16:14 PM »
I can make 1000 hp without a turbo. What would said turbo do then?

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 27 2018, 03:22:00 PM »
It just seems to me the answer is ''it depends''.but on what base number or mods.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 27 2018, 03:43:35 PM »
I have to believe you are simply trolling because you are bored
Steve Wood

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 27 2018, 04:54:48 PM »
Could be, I am on the north end of lake Superior but no.

If you said a turbo at a certain rpm flowed, by itself, enough air to make 1000 hp I get that.

What started this is a guy locally wanted to put 2 stock gn turbos on a warmed over 400 sbc and I don't think that would work properly for a low 9 but I don't know how to explain why.Maybe  I'm wrong.

He ended up putting on 2 -70's.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 27 2018, 05:23:15 PM »
If you had started with the above situation, you might have gotten better help.

Okay, let's assume you could build an engine that made 1000 hp naturally aspirated and then added a turbo that is rated to SUPPORT 1000 hp.

I estimate the final output of the combination to be about 975 hp as the turbo would not be large enuf to support more than the original 1000 hp so it could not make any boost.  All it would be would be a restriction-hence my guessed 975.

Two stock buick turbos would not support more than 550-600 or so hp if I recall correctly.  Not nearly enuf for a low 9 second car.

I recall a friend that had a a 272 Stage engine and installed a TA49 on it.  He could not get more than 18 psi of boost out of it and could not understand why.  He refused to comprehend that the TA49 could not flow enuf air to fill the engine and make more than 18 psi of boost.  Same situation.  It was also way out of its efficiency zone and the charge was very hot making even less power
Steve Wood

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 27 2018, 06:27:50 PM »
Ok I'm on my phone so my response may be short for now..

When we say a turbo can "support" a certain power level, it is directly related to the volumetric efficiency of the engine, or VE. This in turn affects the engine's BSFC Brake specific Fuel Consumption.

What TF does this all mean?

Ok think of it like this...let's say you're not as old as you are now, and you're trying to go out and score a date/good night with a chick at a club/bar (or discotech for you old folks...hehehe).. think the female in this equation as how much power your engine you can make. Think of how "fly" /"tight your game is" as how much power your engine can support.

If you dress like shit, you won't land a date. (We're using "date" as the politically correct term here) Just like if your car cannot support the airflow, it won't make power. Air=power. Dressing like Shaft=good story the next morning..

A turbo is rated to "support" a certain amount of power, assuming the engine can flow that amount of air through the cylinder heads. If you have a 1000hp NA engine and slap an1000hp turbo on it, the engine will make just about 1000hp.

Turbos are now rated in lbs/hr of airflow. Years ago you could add a 0 onto the end of that rating and that was roughly the power itd make. Nowadays with new tech, it isnt uncommon to find a turbo rated to 100lb/hr and have it make 1,150+ hp.

Turbo power doesn't compound on one another with similarly rated turbos. In fact on twin setups you only get about 80% output of the 2nd turbo. Turbos are not like nitrous. Add more of the same size, and you still get more power..

If you make 1000hp NA, why would you be stupid enough to put a turbo rated for the power you already make, on your engine?

Does that answer most questions?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal