Author Topic: Turbo Tech  (Read 59883 times)

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Tech
« Reply #75 on: July 10 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
Cliff notes
EGO
IT depends

And Brad that's exactly the ''logic'' I don;t  get.
A and B personalities I guess.
 I would never judge somebody for their turbo .
My goal was to drive the car on the street drive to the track on et ss or nitto's  and  do nothing to the car .run 11.50's at around 118 and I exceeded that with a 66 mm.at 19 lbs Could I have done that with a smaller turbo? maybe. but why?
My logic is
.the more you compress something [in this case air] the more heat you make so a bigger turbo will keep the air cooler and won't be as prone to detonation at lower boost with 94 octane.
THEN we can get into a traction discussion Can a bigger turbo help traction if it bleeds off some torque.
The other problem is I didn't have the fuel to turn it up with 255lph and 50's. AT 123 mph I think that was about it.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #76 on: July 10 2018, 09:31:34 AM »
In life, it's usually better to be concerned with your own ego and let others worry about theirs....
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 10 2018, 12:25:28 PM »
Best thread in a long while.  Welcome to the board!
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10 2018, 01:47:33 PM »
In life, it's usually better to be concerned with your own ego and let others worry about theirs....

No kidding. My ego is so fucking awesome it makes not worrying about others that much easier. :D
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 10 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
I don't know anything...so I sit back...watch the locals struggle...and enjoy a cold Corona Extra. I love being stupid.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 10 2018, 03:25:25 PM »
(I think we found Motorhead Mike's lost_at_birth twin)

Heh...

Lots of words to say: Cool guy parts. ;)

And Brad, your signature has been deemed to be too long.  So many stock parts listed... :D
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 10 2018, 04:36:47 PM »

Noticing characteristic s and personality traits is a far cry from dwelling on those very things.

You can watch a car drive by and only while the car is passing you do you even know that car exists. This is vastly different than spending the rest of your day contemplating what was going on in the car that passed you, where they were going, who was driving, how long have they been driving for?! Etc etc...

I studied for four years on this subject at a school that is ranked 29th in the world with 5 Nobel Prize winners as staff...it is fair to say that I pick these things up without trying to. It surprises me how in the past, other people have assumed I must spend hours on end dissecting and analyzing conversations and people. The reality is that I only think of them while I am immediately engaged with them; be it in a PM, post on the forum, text message, or phone call.

After that, I forget them so quickly I couldnt even tell you what we spoke about until their name and something specific in the conversation is brought up again.

Actually that is all a lie. I spend every waking moment catalogging and critiquing your every move so that I can further my agenda of slowly obtaining the ability to read your mind and predict your responses before you even make them.

I KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.

Wait what were we talking about? I really have to pee.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
Reeds run with the 6765 was 11.17 at 20 PSI. You and I talked on the phone a long time ago about throwing different turbos on a stock stroke 109 with ported irons...as that's what 95 percent of what most are running. Can you provide any other data?

Temp/humidity
60 foot time
Brand of heads...any extra work to them?
E85, race gas, alky or pump gas?
Brand of torque convertor? LU or NL...tho I suspect NL.
Brand of intercooler

P.S. Reeds car seems like a perfect test mule for trying different bolt ons.

Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 10 2018, 04:58:35 PM »
Damn, you have a lot of time. Mostly I just worry about making my house payment and phone bill. I'm looking forward to paying off the house. Then there are the projects, GS, the T, a couple suburbans, daughters car, wife's Malibu. Plus the garden tractor I'm working on, kind of a long term deal I think I bought in 02. Then there is the pool and its maintenance and upkeep. I'm really not sure how people have time for a hobby. I'm really thinking mine is drinking beer as I do that while doing the other stuff.

I really don't have time for other peoples silliness. Though I try to help em when I can.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10 2018, 05:09:18 PM »
Damn, you have a lot of time. Mostly I just worry about making my house payment and phone bill. I'm looking forward to paying off the house. Then there are the projects, GS, the T, a couple suburbans, daughters car, wife's Malibu. Plus the garden tractor I'm working on, kind of a long term deal I think I bought in 02. Then there is the pool and its maintenance and upkeep. I'm really not sure how people have time for a hobby. I'm really thinking mine is drinking beer as I do that while doing the other stuff.

I really don't have time for other peoples silliness. Though I try to help em when I can.

Who has a lot of time?

And what brought that conclusion on?

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 10 2018, 05:14:07 PM »
Your thoughts sure seemed to me to take a lot of time. Just seemed like you could better direct em towards a cam selection or setting up the bottom end of that cool guy engine. But it is your time and I'm not one to try to tell others what to do. I tried to insert a smilie to at least look like I'm being sarcastic. Oh well. Maybe you ponder stuff at a different rate than an old guy like me, so it doesn't take you much time. Or the fancy education schooled you to think quicker, I've read that John Kennedy was a speed reader and read several newspapers in the morning while having breakfast.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 10 2018, 05:14:26 PM »
I love pissing off nut huggers that think you absolutely need the most expensive parts they can buy to go fast, and that tuning is a mystical voodoo art that needs to be left to professionals.

I try to make the most of what I have. I got fed up with the Buick industry after everyone was trying to get me to dump $10k into a short block to achieve my goals.

I put together my Heads, cam, intake, and exhaust setup for less than an aftermarket casting that most vendors try to push you into. And from the dyno sheets yes they make more power - but why do they run so mediocre at the track? I do have some coin in the driveline, suspension, safety equipment. But it takes the abuse I give it and it laughs.
IhaveaV8

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 10 2018, 05:14:50 PM »
Reeds run with the 6765 was 11.17 at 20 PSI. You and I talked on the phone a long time ago about throwing different turbos on a stock stroke 109 with ported irons...as that's what 95 percent of what most are running. Can you provide any other data?

Temp/humidity
60 foot time
Brand of heads...any extra work to them?
E85, race gas, alky or pump gas?
Brand of torque convertor? LU or NL...tho I suspect NL.
Brand of intercooler

P.S. Reeds car seems like a perfect test mule for trying different bolt ons.

Yes, we did.

I will try to get some more info out of him. FWIW they probably went to a track near Pelham, Alabama, so you can use that as an altitude reference.

He ran champion ported irons. E85 fuel. Turbotweak chip. PTC 9.5" non lock up, and I dont know what IC.

I would be all for sponsoring someone who would be willing to test these turbos on their car and provide info. I could give them these turbos for dealer cost with the stipulation that they test them at the track and report back.

Reeds car is a great test bed because his car is like the majority of Buick owner's.

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 10 2018, 05:22:11 PM »
Was my article explaining billet wheel technology not a good enough way to spend my time? Or the 3 hours I have spent on the phone today with customers regarding the G4 turbos?

I mean no offense, Sir, but I am literally writing these responses while laying on my front seat in between changing the spark plugs in my truck...techni cally I have no shirt on so my pasty white ass can get a tan in this 103 degree heat...but all the same, these responses are being written during breaks between cylinders... no more time is being spent on them than is required to type them.

I assure you, if I were one who wastes time on trying to write the perfect response, I would never get shit done because it would be perpetually under revision....lu ckily that is not me.

But to answer you- NO. I take no more time posting responses than it is required for my fingers to type them.

Your thoughts sure seemed to me to take a lot of time. Just seemed like you could better direct em towards a cam selection or setting up the bottom end of that cool guy engine. But it is your time and I'm not one to try to tell others what to do. I tried to insert a smilie to at least look like I'm being sarcastic. Oh well. Maybe you ponder stuff at a different rate than an old guy like me, so it doesn't take you much time. Or the fancy education schooled you to think quicker, I've read that John Kennedy was a speed reader and read several newspapers in the morning while having breakfast.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #89 on: July 10 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
sounds pretty much a normal thing to me
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal