Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on travel in the south  (Read 3598 times)

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Looking for suggestions on travel in the south
« on: November 01 2018, 12:57:22 PM »
So me and the Mrs are planning a trip to Nashville in January to take in a hockey game. My Cousin has 2 boys both first round draft picks 1 plays for Nashville the other Washington so we are going to a game to hopefully see them play each other. After that we are going to rent a car and head to Memphis and Graceland our flight home is from New Orleans a place we both have always wanted to visit. Any must see spots between Memphis and New Orleans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for suggestions on travel in the south
« Reply #1 on: November 01 2018, 02:01:01 PM »
I have been where you are going, numerous times.

The degree of culture shock will depend on where you call home.
I would advise to get off the big road sometimes, except in Orleans. 'Norleans' is way more dangerous than most are aware. Do not be afraid, be cautious.

On an automotive angle-Comp Cams, Lunati and Bullet Cams are all just south of Memphis. Free catalogs from friendly people for just stopping.

BTW, there is no such thing as a 'grits' tree or bush, sometimes for sale from young kids in truck stops. Unless you are curious what they will come up with.

Have fun, drive careful.

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03 2018, 08:52:28 AM »
Don't be out late or walk down any streets off of Bourbon street in New Orleans.  I would be armed in any case and ready for any situation. 
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline larrym

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03 2018, 04:01:07 PM »
Don't be out late or walk down any streets off of Bourbon street in New Orleans.  I would be armed in any case and ready for any situation.

Well that’s reassuring lol
I’m Canadian when you say armed I think hockey stick....
day light adventures?

86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
Best ET 11.36

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03 2018, 04:20:56 PM »
What are the carry laws in Louisiana?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03 2018, 06:12:53 PM »
Op, how long do you intend to spend in the South?
You are Canadian, I would think a beach and a seafood dinner would interest you and your lady. Cajun food is good stuff, but beware they will eat fish bait on occasion. If you desire local events, you can phone the Chamber of Commerce.

I wouldn't like to see you afraid on your vacation. However, Top Speed is right. Tourist should not travel 'off' streets in any American city. I have been to 'Norleans' many times and lived in Sulfur La for 13 mos. I had no firearm.

I have been in every city in the US, I would think. Probably 1/3 of Canada. All unarmed. What interests do you two have?

edit-when I lived in Louisiana, some bars only closed 1 hr a day. A 'Coonass' can generally drink some booze.
« Last Edit: November 03 2018, 06:23:50 PM by wmsonta »

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03 2018, 11:23:14 PM »
What are the carry laws in Louisiana?

BWAAAAAAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHHAHAH AHAHAAAAAAAA

Here's a few hints...   https://www.usacarry.com/louisiana_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Check out the fees if you want to be legal.  Also note the "No Law Stating Processing Time or Estimate" thingy thing.

Neat thing about living in the south..   My GA concealed weapons license expired over a decade ago.  It's so expensive now I'm not even going consider renewing it.

On the upside the BEST way to get out of a speeding ticket is to tell the cop you have a gun in the car.  Next thing you know, you're not talking about paying a fine.

My Glocks have paid for themselves many times over.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline larrym

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04 2018, 03:06:59 PM »
Op, how long do you intend to spend in the South?
You are Canadian, I would think a beach and a seafood dinner would interest you and your lady. Cajun food is good stuff, but beware they will eat fish bait on occasion. If you desire local events, you can phone the Chamber of Commerce.

I wouldn't like to see you afraid on your vacation. However, Top Speed is right. Tourist should not travel 'off' streets in any American city. I have been to 'Norleans' many times and lived in Sulfur La for 13 mos. I had no firearm.

I have been in every city in the US, I would think. Probably 1/3 of Canada. All unarmed. What interests do you two have?

edit-when I lived in Louisiana, some bars only closed 1 hr a day. A 'Coonass' can generally drink some booze.

We are both pretty happy just seeing the sites and enjoying the local fare. Good food architecture historic sites that sort of thing. We will visit the gulf for sure we are somewhat spoiled living on the
Pacific and having long beach and Tofino just a couple hours away. Vancouver Island is a beautiful place and we feel blessed being able to live here 

Best ET 11.36

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04 2018, 03:18:36 PM »

"Vancouver Island is a beautiful place and we feel blessed being able to live here" 

Yes.

You are going to be fine, enjoy yourselves.
« Last Edit: November 04 2018, 06:07:48 PM by wmsonta »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal