Author Topic: Motorhead- why?  (Read 3423 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Motorhead- why?
« on: October 11 2013, 03:43:42 PM »
OTTAWA — It’s going to cost the Canadian Army more than planned to house new armoured vehicles, and commanders fear they won’t be able to afford basic upkeep of the fleet in the future, internal government documents say.

Here is the kicker:
The vehicles need indoor shelter during the winter. The report suggested the army might have to seek extra funding for upgrades or new buildings.
EH?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Motorhead- why?
« Reply #1 on: October 24 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
OTTAWA — It’s going to cost the Canadian Army more than planned to house new armoured vehicles, and commanders fear they won’t be able to afford basic upkeep of the fleet in the future, internal government documents say.

Here is the kicker:
The vehicles need indoor shelter during the winter. The report suggested the army might have to seek extra funding for upgrades or new buildings.
EH?

So they are made for the Canadian Army but need indoor storage?? This is Canada & it's winter 1/2 the year! Who made this Brilliant Decision to buy these Non Winter Vehicles???  :icon_eyes:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10 2013, 03:08:12 PM »
Oddly enough this is exactly what I work on for the Army: infrastructure for vehicles.

Firstly, do you have a link to the article?

Secondly, think about it this way: if you had a $1,000,000 car that you drove once a month would you leave it outside in the elements and not expect it to degrade overtime?  Would you do your general service/maintenance outside in the driveway during the Winter? Probably not.

The requirements to have a combat vehicle that can withstand the elements is actual, and they can for extended periods.  However, during domestic and overseas operations it is also accepted that they will be left outside for extended periods, and these capital costs are acceptable.  During the time when they sit idle in storage (and not being used for operations) not having them "self divest" is a preferable option for the Army.  Thus we build buildings to hold expensive outdoor vehicles indoors so they are ready when we need them.

The Russians failed at this once and it cost them dearly.

Lastly, I hate you guys for making me think about work two days before I am due back in the office. ;)
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
Nevermind... I found it: http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/10/10/2-1b-armoured-vehicle-purchase-hangs-in-balance-as-army-frets-about-cost/

And the article is wrong.  Like most media releases.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal