Author Topic: Barn motor ideas...  (Read 41049 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Barn motor ideas...
« Reply #15 on: February 26 2015, 05:15:27 PM »
If I was gonna run a LU convertor,..it'd be a Vig multidisc. Norbs ran a 2800 Vig multidisc on his low ten 134 mph blast. Slip rate checked in at 3 percent. The only thing he mentioned about it is that it sounded like a bunch of marbles rattling around in it at idle. I'll assume the clutch plates were hitting together.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Barn motor ideas...
« Reply #16 on: February 26 2015, 05:46:19 PM »
You cruise much with that Art Carr Brad?
My car spends a lot of time on the hwy wonder how much warmer the tranny would get with a NLU
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 26 2015, 05:57:34 PM »
the clutches rattle in the vig-the five disc version is the worst.  The only thing I don't like about them is that they lock and unlock with emphasis when they lock up or unlock in normal driving.

The nlu units are not worse than converters in the before lock up days when it comes to heat....an external cooler is all the insurance you need.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
This year will be the first in 3 years for the car to see the street...and I can't wait. I cruised it all over hells half acre with the AC convertor...an d the trans temp gauge never showed it running warm. I'm not advocating NL convertors...i t's just what works best for me.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26 2015, 06:06:56 PM »
Almost forgot Larry. I run a huge trans cooler.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26 2015, 06:13:11 PM »
Here's the cam card of the cam that I'm hoping to get from charlie. Springs that are currently on the TA heads have a closed pressure of 140 and open pressure of 355, will it be enough or is it too much?
If not and just for GP, how do you calculate for spring pressure?
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Barn motor ideas...
« Reply #21 on: February 26 2015, 08:48:30 PM »
I suspect the springs are right about right for that much lift. I would go to the Comp site, look up the cam and see what Springs they suggest with the cam.  Then compare them with yours
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26 2015, 09:35:13 PM »
Did a little research and found a site explaining how to measure for spring bind but nothing for how to calculate for spring rates.  Been to the comp site Steve and this cam is no where to be found.  Going to give them a call tomorrow to see what they have to say.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26 2015, 09:43:01 PM »
It's a custom Jason. Bring me $225 and take it home tomorrow. Someone got hold of my card and have screwed up my account. :013: Fighting with the bank right now as well as mastercard over it. :icon_evil:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27 2015, 02:15:58 AM »
Spring rate is pounds per inch.    If you measure the spring pressure at a certain point, then compress it another inch, the additional reading is the rate.

Normally there's not enough room to move an inch. In that case, you add 1/2" and double the extra poundage.

Basically if you have a 300 pound per inch spring that's 125 closed....    then open it 1/2" you'll have 125 + 150 for a total of 275 over the nose.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27 2015, 07:55:53 AM »
Thanks Earl. 

I guess I should ask the question another way.  How do you calculate for the springs closed pressure to keep it from bouncing off the seat? I don't believe that the cam would have anything to do with this calculation but would come into play when considering the amount of total lift.

From the spec sheet on the TA heads, I've done some calculating for the installed springs as follows:

Cam max lift:           INT .548  Exh .544
Spring installed height:  1.855
Compressed spring height with cam max lift:  INT 1.307  Exh 1.311
Spring coil bind height:  1.035 
Net safety margin before binding:  INT .272  Exh .276
What I don't know is what ratio rocker was used when comp came up with these specs.  I guess the thing to do anyway would be to clay up the piston and  throw the heads on without a gasket and see if the valves clear the piston.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline v6sleeper

• Bone Stock
  • G-body guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27 2015, 05:01:38 PM »
If I was gonna run a LU convertor,..it'd be a Vig multidisc. Norbs ran a 2800 Vig multidisc on his low ten 134 mph blast. Slip rate checked in at 3 percent. The only thing he mentioned about it is that it sounded like a bunch of marbles rattling around in it at idle. I'll assume the clutch plates were hitting together.
I can attest to the Marbles...I cant tell you how many times I stopped and looked under my car and said WTF is that!! lol
87 GN- t-netics hpc,custom 3" dp, champion irons,stage 2 trans ,3021 9.5nl,poston headers ,Atr liquid intercooled, Hemco r plenum

87 Turbo T-  Borg warner,aluminum R-heads,husek trans,E85 Gn-ecu td 1.65 ptc 9.5nl
70 sport wagon 455 stage 1,Gessler alum heads
82 olds wagon Lc2 powered-sold

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28 2015, 09:50:43 AM »
.  I guess the thing to do anyway would be to clay up the piston and  throw the heads on without a gasket and see if the valves clear the piston.

I think you should do that anyway, especially when using non stock parts. For the little time it takes it can sure save a catastrofic problem.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01 2015, 10:57:53 AM »
Jason...when you figure out what convertor yer' gonna use...talk to Bison about exhaust size for that 6262. With this 16930, I'd recommend a .63 Garret if you're mostly street driving for quick spool/driveability. Personally I like the .63 Precision...as I like a little lag for the street. I don't like the idea of jumping on the loud pedal and the car getting out from under me. Everyone has their preference.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01 2015, 01:38:24 PM »
On the white T, I tried both the garret and precision .63.  I had a TE44 and preferred the precision over the garret with that coverter from Jake.  That garret spooled that the 44 like nobody's business and I found myself babying the car when street driving.  That's just me though....
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal