Author Topic: MAF Upgrade or SD?  (Read 11052 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
Re: MAF Upgrade or SD?
« Reply #30 on: February 23 2019, 07:31:39 PM »
Z06 MAF has thinner walls? 85mm=3.349 inches
Re:Ford
Ford uses a voltage signal? I ddin't think there was a translator for those?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
I THINK the OD is 3 and 3/4 inch...and if memory serves I ordered the coupler from Frozen Boost.

http://www.frozenboost.com/
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23 2019, 09:58:15 PM »
$5 fernco plumbing adapter for bonus points!
IhaveaV8

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23 2019, 10:22:36 PM »
I would suggest staying with the 5.7 chip.  Runs right out of the box as long as you have the supporting hardware installed. A new MAF and translator is cheap insurance to keep you off the side of the road when the stocker goes kaput.

The absolutely most important thing you should do before playing with the performance is to get the basic stuff nailed.  Verify the timing, does the engine have the original timing chain, ensure the cam sensor is installed and set correctly, TPS adjusted correctly, IAC set correctly, TV cable adjusted properly, fuel pressure set, no vacuum leaks, no exhaust leaks pre-turbo.  Without going for broke, the 5.7 chip is all the daily driver could ever possibly need and the engine will live.

I would not recommend the sportsman to my worst enemy.  Been there.  A power logger is not a must but it sure is nice to log a pass or just see data. It works with any of Eric’s chips and makes adjusting your tune a whole lot easier than pressing the gas pedal. Direct scan was before my Buick days so I can’t comment on that.

Steve, I’m not sure Eric sells the 6.1 anymore. I believe the 6.2 replaced it.  I could be wrong but thats nothing new.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #34 on: February 23 2019, 10:55:38 PM »
Have not looked lately. Sounds like he tweaked it a bit. Iblikebitbecau se I got tired of people who won't read instructions lol

Don't have to adjust fuel as you bring the boost up

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
Erics 5.7 chip is great for daily driving. Be aware that if you wanna race...then you have to be on your game from run to run in regards to temp/humidity and adjust your fueling accordingly. You also have to adjust fueling for boost level.

Erics 6.1 chip adjusts your fueling for you. it's foolproof...al most. What I've seen from the locals is they've picked the wrong WB from the drop box or the WB or NB sensors are kaput. WB sensor takes over about 70 percent throttle...and the NB looks after anything below that. Both sensors have to be in perfect condition. The other problem...is they hadn't read the instructions.. .but were at the track with me. Powerlogger is the greatest thing since sliced bread...but most can't comprehend the data being presented to them.

Link is for Erics 6.1...https://www.turbotweakstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1026

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #36 on: February 24 2019, 12:24:40 PM »

What I've seen from the locals is they've picked the wrong WB from the drop box or the WB or NB sensors are kaput. WB sensor takes over about 70 percent throttle...and the NB looks after anything below that. Both sensors have to be in perfect condition.

Link is for Erics 6.1...https://www.turbotweakstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1026

This right here!  Out of the mouth of a mere babe!  Sensors go bad.  Sometimes really fast.  Wide bands don't last forever.  The ones that use a Bosch sensor do not like a lot of heat and one tank of race gas can throw the output way off.

All wide bands are not created equal either.

I always tell people to compare the two to each other (wide band and narrow band) and be sure they are telling you the same thing.

A while back when William was still running a chip, the car was not responding to tuning.  I thought it was running rich but that's not what the wide band was saying.  Finally, I got him to put in a new sensor and the car picked up several tenths on the first run...I'm pretty sure he put a few gallons of race gas in it some time before.  I think he would have gone into the Nines with the chip on defaults if he had a larger turbo on it.

People tend to concentrate on what parts are on the car and don't put time into understanding what the Scan readings are telling them.

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24 2019, 05:21:02 PM »
Densos are the toughest NB to be able to withstand race gas. Wanna know an easy way to detect when your NB is taking a shit? Install a new Denso...and watch the rate your 02 numbers move around on your SM. As soon as you see the numbers starting to slow...the 02 is on it's way out. Guys will go out and spend a gazillion dollars on cool guy parts that won't make their car run any better...but won't spend 20 bucks once or twice a year on a NB sensor to keep their TR running perfectly from an AF standpoint.

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24 2019, 07:19:48 PM »
I would suggest staying with the 5.7 chip.  Runs right out of the box as long as you have the supporting hardware installed. A new MAF and translator is cheap insurance to keep you off the side of the road when the stocker goes kaput.
The absolutely most important thing you should do before playing with the performance is to get the basic stuff nailed.  Verify the timing, does the engine have the original timing chain, ensure the cam sensor is installed and set correctly, TPS adjusted correctly, IAC set correctly, TV cable adjusted properly, fuel pressure set, no vacuum leaks, no exhaust leaks pre-turbo.  Without going for broke, the 5.7 chip is all the daily driver could ever possibly need and the engine will live.
end of thread. :rock: Eric  gets it really close . 9/10/11 sec cars running on default.. That way the customer is safe .. WELLLL most are BUT ya allways have that 1 cowboy that knows everything  :rofl:

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24 2019, 07:41:02 PM »
Correct Brad, I have a 4" to 3.75" adapter from my 4" tin man cold air intake to my Z06 MAF

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24 2019, 07:45:10 PM »
Eric takes an educated guess on his default fuel low/high gear fuel settings. This 112 race chip I have has to much low gear fuel and not enuf high gear fuel. He prolly doesn't know I race this car at 50F with humidity in the 30's. It still comes up lean with the full 20 percent high gear fuel added at 25 PSI...and has to much low gear fuel with the full 20 percent fuel pulled. I doubt Eric gets much feedback from guys like me running in cold temps with low humidity. I should have left him a note at the bottom of the order form letting him know the low temp/humidity I race in.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02 2019, 08:59:04 AM »
This was a very interesting read. My chip from Eric does the exact same thing(ton of low gear fuel but always lean in third) Scoobum, but I just figured I had an exhaust leak somewhere. To be honest, I still believe I do... :rofl: I haven't really had much time to mess around with my car since I installed Julio's kit.  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal