Author Topic: A New Best Milage with the BabyMax  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
A New Best Milage with the BabyMax
« on: June 27 2023, 02:43:33 PM »
I ordered a catch can for my 2.8 Duramax.  I decided to go to Grand Forks do a little shopping and pick up my catch can at the border.  From the house to the Border I managed a 5.9L/100km, but there was almost 30 km of construction so I was a little under the speed limit.  When I left the border it was sitting at 38.87 usmpg.  I was doing 70-72mph on the freeway and held a consistent 35.9 usmpg 90% of the way.  As I pulled into Grand Forks it was sitting at 36.0 on the money.  Driving around brought it down to 34 usmpg.  When I left GF I was doing 75-80 mph and my milage was starting to dip so I decided to hold steady at around 66-68mph.  That got me back up to a little over 36 mpg.  From the border to home I got a best of 5.5L/100km or 42.76 usmpg.  Again, the construction really helped getting that.

Round trip 452.9 km and total average of 6.5L/100 or 281 miles 36.187 usmpg.  I always have to rub it in to my Boss whom is so liberal he would probably marry his bicycle if he could.  He used to give me a hard time about my diesel truck.  Which will no doubt destroy his Toyota Camary in the milage department! :icon_lol:

What do you guys think?  Pretty damn good for a 5000lb Truck!

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: A New Best Milage with the BabyMax
« Reply #1 on: June 27 2023, 04:56:05 PM »
That's pretty damn good. Better than our CRV got this weekend, I think we averaged 34mpg.
How does it tow?
IhaveaV8

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28 2023, 08:32:15 AM »
That's pretty damn good. Better than our CRV got this weekend, I think we averaged 34mpg.
How does it tow?

Bone stock I find it could use a little more HP.  But with all the low end torque it has no problems pulling away.  I had close to 8000 lbs including the dump trailer and it took a bit to get up to speed.  Still wasn't broken in, since then the computer has upped the redline from 3400-3800rpm.  And I installed a CAI, bigger exhaust and a 4 pos chip to give me an extra 45hp, and a throttle commander.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 28 2023, 09:20:53 AM »
That surprised me.  That is really good! :cheers:
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05 2023, 05:11:11 PM »
Yeah that's incredible fuel economy!!!!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06 2023, 03:43:28 PM »
I only get 26 mpg out of my Miata
Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23 2023, 09:24:17 PM »
Yeah I've had to pick me jaw off the ground a few times seeing the milage this truck gets.  I was in Fargo in May and I had just got on to the freeway but in city limits the speed is only 55mph.  I was doing that and reset my milage.  I looked down and it was at 44 and I'm like WTF why is it getting such horrible milage!  I let up a bit on the throttle and it went to 45.  I was thinking it was L/100 not realizing it was reading 45 USmpg.  That only lasted for 5 miles because after that I was doing over 70mph.  If you keep the speed down it will get unbelievable milage.  With a 40mph tail find I seen 50 usmpg for 20 miles, I couldn't stop shaking my head in disbelief. 

I was washing my truck one time and a guy in a Mazda CX-5 said he liked my truck but then said it must be really bad on gas.  I told him it doesn't burn gas.  I think he would be totally floored to find out that my truck would destroy his CX-5 in the milage department! :icon_lol:

I'd still like to put a little bit bigger turbo on it.  One that adds an extra 30 hp, nothing too crazy.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23 2023, 11:58:11 PM »
It's hard to believe but I'm glad that it is working so well for you. :cheers:
Steve Wood

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01 2023, 07:28:52 PM »
My cousin has a diesel rabbit(old I know) that gets 50mpg according to him. My Cummins only does about 15-16mpg but it is a 6.7L
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24 2023, 06:44:06 PM »
I was in Alberta last long weekend and diesel was way cheaper there.  So, I filled it to the brim.  I could see it on the first bend of the filler neck.  I set the cruise at 70mph and I had to laugh when I pulled into Saskatoon because my fuel gauge was still on full.  My milage indicated 6.2 but when I filled it to the same point I got over 46 mpg imperial or 37 usmpg. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal