Author Topic: My "All About My Buick" Thread  (Read 70579 times)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
Re: My "All About My Buick" Thread
« Reply #210 on: August 26 2015, 05:16:39 PM »
New belt is on, almost could have gone to a 62" belt.

Still have to fix the burned out headlamp but the damn rain came.

And what was once the Goodyear Gatorback is now...
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 27 2015, 07:08:08 AM »
Car still hates bumps... time to start smacking it around to find the source.  I think I saw my TPS hovering around .31v... gotta confirm that.

EDIT: It would be soooo awesome if it was something like this: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/when-going-over-bumps-check-engine-light-comes-on-and-car-stalls.398958/

This would be better: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/random-stalling-and-check-engine-light-after-getting-my-car-back.383625/

Ha!
« Last Edit: August 27 2015, 08:43:02 AM by motorhead »
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 27 2015, 07:52:34 PM »
Yup, .30-.31v shown on the MAFT Pro, bumped it up to .42-.43v (4.65 with the pedal mashed) in the parking lot.  I can only imagine what effect that was having on the car overall... but, it didn't cut out on the way home.

I also jiggled the ECM, power, and ground wires. Nothing of note happened.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
My "All About My Buick" Thread
« Reply #213 on: August 27 2015, 08:34:56 PM »
No code?
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 27 2015, 09:44:08 PM »
No code?

Nope. None.

So I had a little time, like 30mins, to work on the car again tonight.  Anyway, I decided I would start working on the process of elimination. So I found a single pronged weatherpack connector from the MCSS harness (it was the 02 sensor lead)...

[aside]For any young enthusiasts out there reading along part a similar car or two out if you own any old beast, all the spare parts are a lifesaver.[/aside]

...and started building a new fused lead off the battery to take the factory wiring out of the equation (because it turns out that I had already cut the fusible link out years ago).  The car ran.  But, just for giggles (because I did a lot of reading on the bus ride home tonight) I decided to smack the steering wheel... and the car cut out/shutoff. Again. And again. And again.  It was really sensitive to smacks upward (like driving over a bump).  Now it looks like I either have to tighten screws inside the column, fix some wiring/switches, or both.

Quote from: novaderrik at the other board
do you have a tilt column? if it is loose, any little bump can cause the rod that goes from the key cylinder to the ignition switch to bump the switchslightly out of the "run" position just enough to kil lthe engine.
 i used to have an 87 Caprice cop car that would do that- it about scared the crap outta me the fiirst time i hit a bump going around a tight turn and the engine died and i lost my power steering..
 the fix is to pull the steering wheel, lock plate, and  turn signal switch and get in there with a torx bit and some blue loctite and tighten the screws that hold the top part of the column down. easy half hour fix if you have the proper tools and some patience.
« Last Edit: August 27 2015, 09:49:00 PM by motorhead »
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 27 2015, 10:02:52 PM »
I have read the column especially a tilt can rub some wires "the wrong way", there by needing some attention. Don't feel bad. When I got home tonight and was in the driveway I pushed the shifter forward to park. I didn't feel it go to park and the column had not twisted to park so I twisted it there and got the trans into park. I crawled underneath and found I was missing the horseshoe piece that holds the cable on the bracket. I guess I will be shifting by the column collar tomorrow and until I can locate another horseshoe piece.

It seems nothing is easy.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 27 2015, 10:19:29 PM »
Normally this is stuff I live to do... but, with the TBSS in pieces and the wagon not done it is just a piss off.

Here is how to fix a loose column:
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/sucp-0707-tilt-steering-column/
http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/tiltsteeringcolumnwobble.htm
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/column-ignition-cylinder-fixing.49663/
« Last Edit: August 27 2015, 10:37:21 PM by motorhead »
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28 2015, 07:34:43 AM »
Went out with a computer to reprogramme the chip with the PL since last night's reset.  Turns out that the ECM is seeing .48v at the TPS, which made for a fast idle on the drive in.  I guess I will have to split the difference between the MAFT Pro and ECM since both reference this damn thing.

But the car didn't stall on the drive... oddly enough.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 28 2015, 09:44:06 AM »
Mike...just my 2 cents. You won't sell your car...cuz it's too complicated... even if you demod it. Here's proof. You know how simple my car is. To the general public...it isn't. Had my car up for sale...here's what happened each time. A perspective buyer shows up. As soon as I mention it has an adjustable chip and alky...they go screaming into the nite.

I made the decision to race the car with the guys out here in eastern Ontario when we can get together...cuz I'm sure as hell not giving it away. Keep road racing your car when time permits. One of these days your children won't have time for mom and dad...and you'll be glad you kept the car.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 28 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
Mike...just my 2 cents. You won't sell your car...cuz it's too complicated... even if you demod it. Here's proof. You know how simple my car is. To the general public...it isn't. Had my car up for sale...here's what happened each time. A perspective buyer shows up. As soon as I mention it has an adjustable chip and alky...they go screaming into the nite.

I made the decision to race the car with the guys out here in eastern Ontario when we can get together...cuz I'm sure as hell not giving it away. Keep road racing your car when time permits. One of these days your children won't have time for mom and dad...and you'll be glad you kept the car.
You are absolutely right, it has been a pain.  But, I have sourced most everything to return the car to stock (still looking for a good stock turbo and wastegate, people).  Once I have everything in hand it is going to be sent out the door with a stock chip, injectors, intercooler, air conditioning, suspension, wheels... the works.  This car needs to go bye-bye (as cool as it is), so I can focus on building v2.0 of my MCSS.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 28 2015, 02:06:16 PM »
And don't get me started about the idiots on Kijiji...
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 22 2015, 06:48:16 AM »
Sooooo... I think I found the culprit.  I accidentally bumped the MAFT Pro yesterday with my Batman sunshade and the car shut off.  Lather, rinse, repeat. Play with the harness and it has been fine since - damn red wires.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 22 2015, 03:40:57 PM »
Well that about concludes another Summer of fun with a car I cannot sell (or trade for something appealing).

Took it through a car wash because it is 0*C with the wind chill, quickly clayed the paint because the sun was out, hit it with a little detailing spray, and off to the storage unit tonight.  It is pretty sad when you have a three car garage and you still have to pay for storage...I really need to finish the Trail Blazer.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 22 2015, 11:10:50 PM »
Somebody will want it.  Patience is a virtue but persistence to the point of success is a blessing. Car looks good!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 23 2015, 04:58:57 PM »
Somebody will want it.  Patience is a virtue but persistence to the point of success is a blessing. Car looks good!

Thanks!

I am half tempted to have it restored again, it has been 10 years since the last time, fogging it with oil and sticking it in the corner for the girls in 14 years.  Tatiana was quite upset it was put away last night.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal