Author Topic: additional leg room  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
additional leg room
« on: May 20 2014, 11:15:17 PM »
Doing th Power Tour this year and so I am looking for some additional leg room. Year One sells some universal brackets that look like they might work. They are some flat plates with holes, nothing I probably could not make myself. The issue I see is one of the studs in the front does not seem  to have much grip length.  Any opinions on moving the seat back a few inches? 2400 miles with extra leg room would be nice. Next up is getting the a/c working!

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Re: additional leg room
« Reply #1 on: May 21 2014, 09:17:18 AM »
I have been pondering on how to get a few more inches of leg room myself....  Interested in hearing if anyone has done this and how they did it as well...
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21 2014, 02:25:24 PM »
good god man...   how tall are you people????

tilt the seat back one or two clicks. it's like sliding the seat back a couple inches.  :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21 2014, 02:45:58 PM »
6,5 about.. !
Stratman: Is it even running?

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22 2014, 08:42:06 AM »
This may sound a bit out of the box but there is a phrase used in the avaition community called "design eye point."  Basically, it means that after sitting in the cockpit, you adjust the seat until you can see everything that your suppose to see without undo strain on the body. 
I just can't get comfortable when cruising in my Buick.  It did help when I replaced the seat cushions.  Those cushions raised the sitting height about an inch or so but now I feel like my head is going through the roof and laying the seat back doesn't make it.... well.. I just don't sit like that when driving any car.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline tb3

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22 2014, 08:51:49 AM »
what about taking the seat track off the seat and drilling 4 new holes a little farther back on it?
or,  might have to weld in a couple pieces of flat stock to the floor and bolt the seat back a little farther. 
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22 2014, 04:30:28 PM »
I moved mine back 2 inches, much more comfy!!
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22 2014, 09:05:06 PM »
How about some details on how you went about moving your seat back 2"?

check out part number SB246 at Year One.  Thought I might try to fab something like this over the weekend.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22 2014, 09:23:45 PM »
While you are in there
check the bolts n holes between the front of the seat and the track, mine were ripped up and needed reinforcement.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22 2014, 09:50:34 PM »
While you are in there
check the bolts n holes between the front of the seat and the track, mine were ripped up and needed reinforcement.

Too many trans brake launches?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23 2014, 07:55:19 AM »
I expect you'd have the same problem from laying on the binders at SMP's gravel pit :)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23 2014, 08:40:49 AM »
Mine stops with room to spare with the brake upgrades...but I have to admit the seat belt is choking the shit outta me. You prolly remember me postiing pics of Mikes 2002 metallic orange SBC nitrous assisted Camaro. He stops...wait for it...at 134-135 MPH...with the stock brakes. He shows up at the first test nite last month. I asked him where the front skinnies were. He said when he made his 10.01 run last fall with me he got on the brakes so hard...he flat spotted the front tires from locking them up. The man has balls of steel.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23 2014, 09:00:13 AM »
took 4 pieces of 1 inch wide flat steel, 2.5 inches long, drilled out holes 2 inches on center, welded a one inch carriage bolt in one end, removed seat, put pieces in place and set seat over new bolts. Has been rock solid for a few years now. Dont like it and just take them out and put back in stock location
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23 2014, 01:31:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing Shimy87.how thick of material would you suggest?
 :cheers:

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23 2014, 09:17:13 PM »
I got lucky last weekend and picked up 2 celica GT seats in mint condition. These have the same shape as the lears do and feel very good. These are what I'm going to use. I had a choice of a pair of Dodge stealth seats and these look a little easier to adapt as well as more total movement so I can move the as far back as I want. :rock:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal