Author Topic: Turbo Tech  (Read 58818 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Tech
« Reply #135 on: July 24 2018, 09:01:30 PM »
This is why I run stock junk...cuz it pisses people off. I drag the most from the least. I'm quite happy being a vendors nightmare.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 24 2018, 10:11:03 PM »
This is why I run stock junk...cuz it pisses people off. I drag the most from the least. I'm quite happy being a vendors nightmare.
Then why the interest in a new turbo?
I get there are many ways to skin a cat.  However, if I was new to this or looking to upgrade from old tech - it would be well worth the leap into contemporary parts, in my opinion.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 24 2018, 10:48:51 PM »
I didn't say I was looking for a new turbo. The 6262 is the go to turbo...and I'm asking questions for those that would like to step up to one with this new wheel. Bison cracked the 9's with a 6265...a stock short block...and pair of heads. Should be enuf turbo for most.

As far as Arts convertors go...a used one can be had for a the price of a cup of coffee...as everyone has jumped ship to PTC. Slip rate for this 16930 comes in in the single digits...and I can get it flash off the line to 4 grand with minor low gear tuning for 1.5x launches.

Maftpro and Gen 2 went the way of the dodo...Erics 5.7 chip is still here.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 25 2018, 08:29:13 AM »

wait What? lol

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 25 2018, 09:48:51 AM »
I didn't say I was looking for a new turbo. The 6262 is the go to turbo...and I'm asking questions for those that would like to step up to one with this new wheel. Bison cracked the 9's with a 6265...a stock short block...and pair of heads. Should be enuf turbo for most.

As far as Arts convertors go...a used one can be had for a the price of a cup of coffee...as everyone has jumped ship to PTC. Slip rate for this 16930 comes in in the single digits...and I can get it flash off the line to 4 grand with minor low gear tuning for 1.5x launches.

Maftpro and Gen 2 went the way of the dodo...Erics 5.7 chip is still here.

So then why is BoostedRPS wasting his time here developing new parts and combinations if we've had it figured out for a decade or more?

If he is going to be successful somebody is going to need to step up and buy in with their dollar votes, and shun accepted practices along the way.

With the relatively narrow powerbands these little V6s suffer from they can use all the help they can get as it relates to spool time, torque multiplication, rpm drop management between gears, and the ability to have 0% converter slippage.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 25 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
What is the proper way to calculate converter slippage.[ It's not some theoretical calculated number from a powelogger]

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 25 2018, 10:32:01 AM »
It is hard to beat what is already proven to work. I don't think that a faster spool up time will help me any as I am already traction limited when the boost quickly comes up to 25 psi.  I am intrigued however with the dual scroll turbos and newer compressor wheels...
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 25 2018, 06:43:31 PM »
I like the calculators here:
http://www.tciauto.com/tc/racing-calculators
Wallace racing has a bunch too

Edit: converter slip is a calculated number engine rpm vs driveshaft rpm, tci calculator gives more variables to play with.
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #143 on: July 25 2018, 06:51:18 PM »
The one PowerLogger is not terrible either as long as you calibrate the constants
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 25 2018, 07:13:23 PM »
What do you use for tire height?
A different type of tire will have a different height at any given speed and will yield  a different slip %. That's ok to compare 1 converter to another. but not 100% accurate. If you are logging driveshaft rpm then you are heading in the right direction.

Also on that page it would seem to infer changing tire size changes actual gear ratio.
What do the numbers mean eg 411.and how does tire size affect that.

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 25 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
It is hard to beat what is already proven to work. I don't think that a faster spool up time will help me any as I am already traction limited when the boost quickly comes up to 25 psi.  I am intrigued however with the dual scroll turbos and newer compressor wheels...

You are absolutely correct. Tried and true is hard to beat if you are looking at modifying your car, on a budget, and trying to determine where you should spend your money.

This is why we also sell the older turbos, like the TE60, TE44 (although I prefer to substitute a billet 60mm compressor wheel since there isn't an increase in cost for the customer), TE62, etc.

If you are traction limited then your suspension needs work before you add any go-fast parts...in my opinion, that is.

Twin scroll turbos are not new in the world of turbos, just new to us in the Buick world since we seem to look at change as if it was the end of the world, and resist it as such..

Have you read the article I wrote on the new turbo wheels? If you are interested in the new compressor wheels, I would strongly encourage you to take a look at the article.

Link: https://www.boostedrps.com/single-post/2018/06/20/Turbocharger-Cast-and-Billet-Compressor-Wheels--Not-all-Billet-Wheels-are-Made-EqualDont-Overpay-Or-Be-Fooled-Into-Buying-The-WRONG-Turbo

I didn't say I was looking for a new turbo. The 6262 is the go to turbo...and I'm asking questions for those that would like to step up to one with this new wheel. Bison cracked the 9's with a 6265...a stock short block...and pair of heads. Should be enuf turbo for most.As far as Arts convertors go...a used one can be had for a the price of a cup of coffee...as everyone has jumped ship to PTC. Slip rate for this 16930 comes in in the single digits...and I can get it flash off the line to 4 grand with minor low gear tuning for 1.5x launches. Maftpro and Gen 2 went the way of the dodo...Erics 5.7 chip is still here.

So then why is BoostedRPS wasting his time here developing new parts and combinations if we've had it figured out for a decade or more?If he is going to be successful somebody is going to need to step up and buy in with their dollar votes, and shun accepted practices along the way.With the relatively narrow powerbands these little V6s suffer from they can use all the help they can get as it relates to spool time, torque multiplication, rpm drop management between gears, and the ability to have 0% converter slippage.

I do have a name, in case you were curious... it is Tyler :)

I do not consider myself as "wasting" time answering Brad's questions. I view Brad's questions as representative of what many people may be curious about, but fear posting and asking the question, or may not know exactly what questions to ask. I think Brad is helpful with his questions because it poses a lot of questions that beckon answers which address common concerns or ideologies that may be resistant or curious about these new turbos and what benefits they have, or why they are worth their various prices.

I have been giving huge discounts to anyone willing to try one of these new G4 turbos, or a WORK Turbo in general. I know the more people that have experience with these turbos, the more word will get out as to their performance, and people will see that PTE isn't the only viable option anymore.

This is my open invitation to anyone on IhadaV8: If you are willing to give one of these new turbos a shot, I will give you my dealer pricing, effectively "sponsoring" you, as long as you can provide real-world data on the turbo's performance relatively soon after you receive it. This means dyno sheets, ET slips, etc.

I didn't say I was looking for a new turbo. The 6262 is the go to turbo...and I'm asking questions for those that would like to step up to one with this new wheel. Bison cracked the 9's with a 6265...a stock short block...and pair of heads. Should be enuf turbo for most.As far as Arts convertors go...a used one can be had for a the price of a cup of coffee...as everyone has jumped ship to PTC. Slip rate for this 16930 comes in in the single digits...and I can get it flash off the line to 4 grand with minor low gear tuning for 1.5x launches. Maftpro and Gen 2 went the way of the dodo...Erics 5.7 chip is still here.

We plan on shooting for a 9.9x with a 6262 G4S turbo on my engine once it is built...I think with the right tune and 60ft, it is possible. Especially if we are using a twin scroll housing.

FWIW I like the Gen 2...I still think it is a great piece of equipment!

Then why the interest in a new turbo?I get there are many ways to skin a cat.  However, if I was new to this or looking to upgrade from old tech - it would be well worth the leap into contemporary parts, in my opinion.

Are you saying that the cost for new turbos, compared to old turbos, IS worth it? Or is NOT?

I would call myself a vendor and I don't consider you as a nightmare?

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 25 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
I'll throw out a disagreement with the tried and true being difficult to beat. Expensive, probably but if you have good ideas and know how to execute them fun is more the adjective I would use. If nothing new worked top fuel would have never gotten to the fives, fours, threes and then a shortened track. We wouldn't have nine sec cars coming out of a dealership. If the race was already decided no one would race. We do it to have fun or at least I do. And the people. If you aren't meeting people at the track or other gtg you are definitely missing out.

The run of the mill is for the unimaginative. I drive a Buick because it is different(and my grandmother drove em). I wrench in my own because I cant afford to be a checkbook hot rodder. And I enjoy doing it. I do understand some don't have the desire, the place or the skills to wrench but that ain't me.

I'm glad Tyler has taken up selling stuff for my thirty yr old beater. Once he gets going he will probably forget us little guys but that is ok. He will do well because he has the drive to get there. Make sure you are making money as my dad used to tell me, you can stay home and not make money. No sense in going out and not making any. 
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 25 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
I think the guys on a shoestring budget often do better...as they have to research every last thing to get the best bang for the buck. Throwing money at these cars doesn't work...as many have tried...and failed. I've watched Grumpy from day one...and learned early on that the stock junk...if kept out of detonation...i s incredibly durable.

Other than Steve Wood, I doubt anyone else has kept track of the testing I've done and data I've posted over the years.

You have to get out to the track and test...often. Swilling Timmes coffee and scarfing down donuts and staring under hoods won't learn you anything.

Game changers for these cars were the introduction of high flow turbos...and the PTC 9.5 inch NL convertor. Tyler can hook you up with both. I'm interested to see data on the new IC Tyler is working on.

I'm keeping an eye on Patrick Rubio...and what he does at BG. If he does what I think he'll do...then I'll be stepping up my program.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 25 2018, 09:01:05 PM »
Throwing money at these cars doesn't work...as many have tried...and failed.

Throwing money at ANY problem never works.   ...and only makes things worse 99% of the time.

Unless you're a divorce lawyer. Those guys figured it out.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 25 2018, 09:36:58 PM »

Throwing money at these cars doesn't work...as many have tried...and failed.

Throwing money at ANY problem never works.   ...and only makes things worse 99% of the time.

Unless you're a divorce lawyer. Those guys figured it out.

.... "Boosted RPS....Attorne ys At Law" !!!

I think I may need to rethink my choice of vocation... hahahaha

I think the guys on a shoestring budget often do better...as they have to research every last thing to get the best bang for the buck. Throwing money at these cars doesn't work...as many have tried...and failed. I've watched Grumpy from day one...and learned early on that the stock junk...if kept out of detonation...i s incredibly durable. Other than Steve Wood, I doubt anyone else has kept track of the testing I've done and data I've posted over the years. You have to get out to the track and test...often. Swilling Timmes coffee and scarfing down donuts and staring under hoods won't learn you anything.Game changers for these cars were the introduction of high flow turbos...and the PTC 9.5 inch NL convertor. Tyler can hook you up with both. I'm interested to see data on the new IC Tyler is working on. I'm keeping an eye on Patrick Rubio...and what he does at BG. If he does what I think he'll do...then I'll be stepping up my program.

I totally agree that the guys on a shoestring budget are the ones who really try to push the boundaries of what is possible because they have to get every ounce of performance out of the parts they have, since they cannot afford to purchase things at their desire.

I've tried to take that outlook- of doing as much research as possible (within reason, in my case) and apply it to the parts that I carry and offer. I'm not taking credit for the design of all these parts  (only the ones I directly worked on) but I will take credit for embracing and helping promote the parts that aim to maximize performance through utilization of new technologies or design strategies without breaking the bank or being obscenely more expensive than similar parts.

This is why I promote WORK Turbo so much...they offer performance levels you would obtain from a PTE turbo, for similar or less costs. If you compare what PTE has to offer, as a whole, against what WORK has to offer, I really do not see why anyone would go with a PTE unit...

Reed has done the research and has 25+ years of real world experience testing and building turbos for these cars, which not many people-regardless if they are turbo builders or not- can lay claim to. He knows what works, what doesn't...what will last, and what will eventually break.

The quality of internal parts he uses..and I'm not talking about just the G4 line, I am talking about the quality of parts used in every single turbo he builds, whether it is a "Rebuilt" turbo, or a brand new G4, or a custom S4E unit, are superior than ANYTHING Precision has to offer, bar-none.

Reed doesn't have a huge bankroll, or some crazy investor that can drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on tooling on a whim. He has had to figure out what wheel designs work (no pun intended) along all parameters; spool up, power ouput, powerband, longevity, durability, etc. through researching and testing his theories. What we have now is someone with almost 3 DECADES of turbo-building experience that knows from personal testing and research, what designs will perform and what designs won't.

Because Reed (WORK Turbos for those who don't know that Reed is the owner) IS the little guy on a shoe-string budget, and learned more from his experiences and testing that I could ever hope to, it is a big reason and driving force as to why his turbos perform as incredible as they do....his LACK of bankroll has forced him to learn what creates a superior wheel, and what a perfect turbocharger for XYZ engine/car setup would look like..and bring that all to fruition.

Sorry for the long rant..it's just that the type of person you described IS WORK Turbochargers and what has made them so successful at what they do, even with their small budget and production numbers compared to the larger companies..

As for my IC testing...I am going to talk to Duttweiler when I drop the engine off and ask him if we could put MAP sensors on either side of the IC core in the piping so that I can measure pressure drop across the core as we do our dyno testing.

I drop the engine off in September, so I will let you know what he says when I do!

And yes, I can provide you with a PTC 9.5" NLU converter and a high-flow turbo! And if you are a member of IhadaV8 then you will get special pricing as well! (badass discounts on everything possible)

I'll throw out a disagreement with the tried and true being difficult to beat. Expensive, probably but if you have good ideas and know how to execute them fun is more the adjective I would use. If nothing new worked top fuel would have never gotten to the fives, fours, threes and then a shortened track. We wouldn't have nine sec cars coming out of a dealership. If the race was already decided no one would race. We do it to have fun or at least I do. And the people. If you aren't meeting people at the track or other gtg you are definitely missing out. The run of the mill is for the unimaginative. I drive a Buick because it is different(and my grandmother drove em). I wrench in my own because I cant afford to be a checkbook hot rodder. And I enjoy doing it. I do understand some don't have the desire, the place or the skills to wrench but that ain't me. I'm glad Tyler has taken up selling stuff for my thirty yr old beater. Once he gets going he will probably forget us little guys but that is ok. He will do well because he has the drive to get there. Make sure you are making money as my dad used to tell me, you can stay home and not make money. No sense in going out and not making any.

I really appreciate the kind words and your excitement towards my company and what I am trying to accomplish.

I know it will take time and be a slow build, but I have no intentions of slowing down or stopping.

As a matter-of-fact, I received my confirmation from Holley today, confirming my enrollment in all three levels of the Holley EFI training courses in November! I need to start somewhere, and this will be it! These classes will provide me with the tools that I need to begin my knowledge base, and hopefully career, in aftermarket ECM tuning. The future looks bright as long as I don't let anyone bring me down or allow petty antics to divert my attention and influence my drive and willpower.

And to set things straight, I will NEVER forget you guys, no matter where I end up or (hopefully) how large my company may end up growing.

I was raised to always remember and respect those who were there in the beginning, and who helped you begin your path. As such, it would go against everything I stand for, if I ever held the attitude or aura of "too big for my britches" or the "too cool for school" attitude/cockiness.

If I ever act like that, you guys can pay Tom to come give me a solid kick in the dick, and I won't get mad..in fact if that ever happens, I'll know exactly why and it would probably be one damn good wakeup call...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal