Author Topic: Weird noise=trans????  (Read 3936 times)

Offline instro84

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Weird noise=trans????
« on: March 12 2006, 07:35:11 PM »
Need help diagnosing this noise i heard when i got back form the gathering last Sat. It sounds like almost like a knocking fron the valvetrain i put a stethescope on it and it was pretty noticeable so i pulled the valvecovers and looked at everything and looked pretty normal. I rotated the engine with the started and all the valve moved the same amount. well my nest thought was maybe somthing on the bottom end so i figured drop the pan anc check it out. For grins i decided to disconnect converter and tart it, no noise. trying to figure what in the trans would cause this only thing i could think is the pump. trans is about 6 mon old btw had it don by Len. any ideas? TIA
dale

Offline sun dog

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Re: Weird noise=trans????
« Reply #1 on: March 12 2006, 11:03:03 PM »
First thing, did you have the hardened stator put in when you had the tranny rebuilt?  I'm thinking maybe the splines on the stator are worn and the torque converter is slopping around and shaking the crank into the thrust bearing.  

Does it seem to be shifting OK?  Is it staying in gear and overdrive?

It could be a broken pump vein or ring, bushing or about 1000 other things in there, you need a pressure check, but if it is shifting and other wise normal I would suspect a worn stator.

Keep us updated with any new info.

Mike
Nuke Gay Whales For Jesus

Offline instro84

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13 2006, 12:35:00 AM »
ok went out again in the cold and connected converter back to flywheel just to see if problen was still there. before i connectred i looked at flywheel for cracks per Lou didnt see and and th bolts went in fine.started car and noise is back. its definatly something in the trans its loudest near the front of it, almost sound like a rod knock but when i listen to engine without converter hooked up no noise idles smooth and revs like normnal. btw the car drives fine. the noise does quiet down a little in gear but its still there. i guess i'll call Len up in the am.

I'm not sure if a hardened stator was used or not, gonna call trans shop in am.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13 2006, 01:04:42 AM »
Did you check the crankshaft for end play ?
I wiped out the thrust bearing in my N/A Pontiac Grand Prix,
because it balooned a torque converter.
Rob

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
Weird noise=trans????
« Reply #4 on: March 13 2006, 02:36:03 AM »
Hey Dale. Sounds like the front pump or the vanes within. What kind of converter? Have you checked your fluid? And was the torque converter properly seated?
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline instro84

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13 2006, 11:26:34 PM »
Hey Brians wahts going on. I didnt check the crank endplay, as far as i know botton end has never been apart. Got hold of LEn at PTLV gotta figure out how to get it over to him soon so he can check it out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal