Author Topic: Another cool little problem  (Read 8863 times)

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
Another cool little problem
« Reply #15 on: January 22 2006, 02:15:50 PM »
Any progress Phil? I was at his uncle's house Friday and Saturday. I woke up there and my pants were still on, so that's a relief. But anyway, he's got a shady fuel relay thing going on. Let's see if he got it before I begin explaining it...
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline ledzeppac

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22 2006, 02:59:46 PM »
Got it...

So I went to get a new altinator to rule that out.  I had to argue for an hour to get a new one becuase they tested it and it passed...  But I explaned that "what is pass?"  is 11 volts passing on the machine becuase the machine doesnt give a volt readout.... !  Just pass fall....

So after an hour I got a new one... slapped it on.  As I put it on Morgan roles up and my cousin comes back... Morgan was very confused about that extra o2 sensor wire that was getting power.  Car started, battery looked good, everything checked out ok.. Took it for a ride and all is good after the new altinator.. but we just ziptied that funky wire and did not connect it to the other terminal... I did get a code 13 today which is bad o2 sensor... but it runs fine and I'm stil getting crosscounts and everything.

So all in all it must have been the altinator combined with that strang wire that basically controlled the car.  

I still havnt found the short in the dash for the lights... but at least it runs.

Thanks for helping me out Brian... I appreciate it.  I'll put my picture up today...

Offline sun dog

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Re: Another cool little problem
« Reply #17 on: January 23 2006, 01:42:14 AM »
Do you need that Heated O2 to pass CA emissions?

I'm not sure about these older cars but on the newer cars GM runs the alternator field voltage thru the speedo cluster.

So if you disconnect the speedo or take the cluster fuse out your alternator will have no input voltage to make any power.  I've heard that in the older ones the power went thru the alternator/charge light in the dash on its way to the alternator.

Maybe your dash problem caused another problem.
Nuke Gay Whales For Jesus

Offline ledzeppac

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23 2006, 06:37:33 PM »
NO heated is not needed...

I have never heard of that charge light to altinator thing... I have no idea.. I might have to take it to an electrician...

Offline sun dog

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23 2006, 11:17:38 PM »
If you have a charging problem again in the immediate future, that might be it.  If that happens I'll try to dig up more info.

Offline sun dog

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23 2006, 11:53:59 PM »
Since it was a close coincidence that you had Alt. trouble just a few days after your dash problem, made me think of that dash>Alt. connection.

If you end up not liking the vacuum brakes for some reason let us know.  I might have to go that route and have been putting it off.

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
« Reply #21 on: January 24 2006, 12:41:08 AM »
Conversion looked good and was real straight forward. Makes me mad for getting a factory PM unit a few years back.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline ledzeppac

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24 2006, 02:51:41 AM »
Morgan liked them alot too... he's now contimplating what he'll do in the future....

Offline gordyzx9r

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24 2006, 04:18:21 AM »
I hope my car doesn't develop problems for me while she sits for these three years...my Dad hasn't been as consistent with starting her up as often as I want.  I should of left her in TN with Ragland.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal