Author Topic: DIY Cold air intake  (Read 12049 times)

Offline Dragonational

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
DIY Cold air intake
« on: January 02 2006, 11:25:52 AM »
ok here is my Idea.  in the front of the car right behind the grill i am thinking of putting a 2 1/2 foot piece of PVC pipe.  I am going to block one end off and seal it.  That is going to run into the modified stock air box with a K&N filter and a soild pipe back to the intake.  The thing about the 2 1/2 pice of pipe in the front is i am going to cut out the whole front section of the pipe.  That should give me a "forced" or "ram " air type of effect, Clear as mud or do i need to explain better?
i like burnouts they smell good

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Cold air intake
« Reply #1 on: January 02 2006, 11:57:52 AM »
Quote from: "Dragonational @ Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:25 am"
ok here is my Idea.

Offline Dragonational

• Turbo Street Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02 2006, 12:11:45 PM »
Thanks for the info.  What i am meaning is that the whole front area of the pipe would be cut out in other words i will have a large area for the motor to pull the air in.  I figured that the area would be large enough to pull more air at one time.  I am not too concernd about the ram air aspect i just figured this my be a new inexpensive way to keep a stock look and get some performance.

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02 2006, 12:36:17 PM »
I am up against the same proposition, and after doing a lot of reading on turbobuick 7 turbobuicks I have narrowed mine down to either a mark Hueffman big mouth or a large K & N filter mounted in the engine compartment by the charcolcannist er. If you do a search, you will probably come to the same conclusions. HTH.

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02 2006, 01:18:30 PM »
I actually consider the Big Mouth setup an upgrade to the large K&N mounted near the charcoal canister.  I noticed an immediate improvement with the Big Mouth setup.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02 2006, 01:32:23 PM »
I think some depends on ambient air temperature. I was on a thread last night that was posted somewhee on turbobuicks.co m regarding this very same issue, and there seems to be more than one train of thought. Some of the very experienced racers believe that a cooler air temperature does not help as much as it on a normally aspirated engine due to the turbo, which is where most of the temperature  increase is. BTW, Top Speed, could I e-mail some questions to you regarding your experiences with Champion heads regarding smog requirements?

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02 2006, 01:48:04 PM »
This is just one of the threads on this subject that I found, but some very interesting info on it,

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36359&highlight=Big+mouth+cold+air

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
« Reply #7 on: January 02 2006, 02:00:56 PM »
Quote from: "Gary Wells @ Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:32 am"
BTW, Top Speed, could I e-mail some questions to you regarding your experiences with Champion heads regarding smog requirements?

Can I get the results of this investigation?  :evil;
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02 2006, 02:10:03 PM »
ok, bitch, I will post an open question: I knew that I would catch shit for that. happy New Year, Natty

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
« Reply #9 on: January 02 2006, 02:30:59 PM »
Quote from: "Gary Wells @ Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:10 am"
ok, bitch, I will post an open question: I knew that I would catch shit for that. happy New Year, Natty

Listen Methuselah, we're both trying to hustle the same system. Let's use our powers for good.  :prayer:  :psix;

Happy Fucking Monday, Gary.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02 2006, 03:11:17 PM »
Hey, works for me. What are your thoughts, natty, and did you read that thread that I highlighted. Very interesting reading from some top minds, too.
Czarnota wants $1700 exchange for heads & intake through his source, so I need to look into Champion. I will call this week and let you know what I find out. But I  know that TopSpeed has some info on them. However, Czarnota's source does not screw with any of the smog, but leaves it all there. Champion likes to remove everything, and i don't know if they will leave everything if asked. Would depend on their manufacturing process and how it's done.

Offline Dragonational

• Turbo Street Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02 2006, 03:53:04 PM »
I have a big K&N in the engine compartment by the canister right now.  What i want to do is leave the engine compartment stock appearing but modify the box so that it is a blow through with a K&N filter.  Does this make sense.  Man i wish i had pictures or something i could show you so that this makes since.

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02 2006, 03:55:15 PM »
Gary, regarding the Champion heads, they make two types -iron 8445 CNC, and aluminum.  I have the iron heads.  The irons can be bought with the egr tower filled with lead or left as cast.  I chose to leave the egr functional since I have to pass  yearly emissions in Atlanta.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02 2006, 03:59:06 PM »
Regarding the Big Mouth intake, I feel it is better for a street driven car to take in a lower ambient temp then the under hood temp.   Sure, the turbo adds heat but if you start with a lower temp to begin with then the additive effect will be lower than if you had started with a higher under hood temp.

Chris

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02 2006, 04:04:05 PM »
Quote from: "Dragonational @ Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:53 pm"
I have a big K&N in the engine compartment by the canister right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal