Author Topic: Burnt Melted Fuse??  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Burnt Melted Fuse??
« on: May 05 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
Hey guys I not overly concerned about this but maybe it will lead somewhere for a search later. A few weekends ago when I was out burning off last years gas I had the defroster on & some heat to blow out the dust plus it was a bit cool in the early am. The AC-Blower motor 25 amp fuse blew on the way home from the Timmy's meet. It was working fine a good hour prior to Timmy's. Finally today I changed it out & all is fine but the thing was half melted into the socket? I needed a screwdriver to use some pressure to pop it out. I'm thinking maybe the blower motor is getting tired?? AC works fine & is cold. Any other ideas's??

This same fuse has blown probably 3-4 times in 24 years?? Altho never was it burnt or melted like this time?  :chin:

David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Burnt Melted Fuse??
« Reply #1 on: May 05 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
well, the main components are the blower motor and the clutch on the compressor.  Also, if you have anything plugged into the ign3 socket just below the fuse in the block, that is also connected to the fuse.

Be sure you cleaned the terminals out in the block as well as possible so there is no high resistance connection at that point as that will generate some heat.  You would think the fuse would pop and no  heat would build up at that point...hence my suggestion to clean the contacts
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05 2012, 02:39:48 PM »
Good idea! There is definately some crud in there with the burnt blackish leftover residue. Maybe tomorrow I'll pull down the under dash cover & get into it with a nail file or sandpaper etc. then some contact cleaner.
I seem to remember 10-15 years ago that the fuse gave me issues. I know because back then I used a shop that specialized in electrical along with rebuilding starters-alternators etc & they had the contract for all the ambulances in the city. Seems like a long time ago now! 
I also had about 50 wires coming out the fuse block until 5 years ago when i mounted a fuse box for everything on the back of the glove box.
Man that was a Rats nest!!  :O
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline Texas Turbo T

• Don't Mess with Texas ! ! !
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05 2012, 05:33:14 PM »
Check ground connection at blower motor.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05 2012, 08:07:31 PM »
I'll give everything a good cleaning. if it's gonna start on fire I need to do my 3 year appraisal for guaranteed payout first!!   :rofl:

They called last month & need to know what its worth.
H'mm, I better add another $3K to the value somehow just in case it burns the car up!  :player: 

Just in case my insurance agent is reading this I'm Joking!!!  :icon_fU:

David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05 2012, 09:20:33 PM »
Your blower motor has rheumatoid arthritis.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal