Author Topic: Turbo Tech  (Read 58838 times)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Tech
« Reply #105 on: July 11 2018, 12:29:46 PM »
Totally unrelated - but I finally figured out the math in HPtuners to adjust for EQ Error during Power Enrichment.  Just have to tweak it to filter by RPM.  I love my WB02s in Lambda - the output is so simple.  Simple MAF tweaks under WOT here we come!

Stock ECM = Stock Chip, right? Right?! PS. I flash my own. ;)
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 11 2018, 04:14:47 PM »
I love solutions. Especially when they work.

You might be shocked to know that I am a HUGE beer nerd...

As in, stand outside of breweries all night in line waiting for special beers to be released...

I bought my turbo by selling 5 bottles of rare beer for $1,350... 3 of them were worth $975 alone..

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 11 2018, 04:16:10 PM »
Nobody has even mentioned vgt's or twin scroll technology.

Actually, you did!  Twin scrolls are amazing, that is my next turbo.  I just don't want to redo the piping.

You mean like these??
:)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 11 2018, 04:30:42 PM »
Not a beer snob, but I do like to build things

...that build things. :D

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 11 2018, 06:11:11 PM »
Not a beer snob, but I do like to build things

...that build things. :D

Maybe it is because of my time spent at Humboldt state,,,but that sure does look like a giant bong....

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 11 2018, 06:30:29 PM »
My neighbor thought the same thing when I was building it...

There is a built in thumper in the bottom so it could be used as a bong as long as the low octane condensate drain is plugged.

It'd take one hellova set of lungs though.  lol
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 11 2018, 06:34:56 PM »
I think we should start on exducers and exhaust housings now and how that influences the power band and converter stall speed and efficiency.

The exducer size isn't as critical as it used to be. The converter type, the level of port work on the heads, fuel type used, and camshaft selection play a more critical role on the spool up than the exducer size.

Even with a large exhaust housing, if those 4 parameters are optimized, you can still have a quick spooling turbo.

[/size]Tyler, Reeds car comes in at 3807. Is that with him in it...or out? My car comes in at 3475...with me in it. Every 100 hundred pounds is worth a tenth of a second. I run my car at 23 PSI with the high and low 02's coming in at 800 and the timing at 32/26 with VP 112 with the 60 foot coming in at 1.70 and staging last and the car runs 7 flat all day at 100. You can do the math what that turbo would do in my car at 23 PSI...and 300-400 pounds lighter.

If you had that turbo you'd be seriously screaming down the track... I'd love to see what you run with it!

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 11 2018, 09:04:57 PM »
Tyler...what brand of exhaust housing on Reeds turbo? Size? Any word on intercooler?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 11 2018, 09:33:09 PM »
Tyler...what brand of exhaust housing on Reeds turbo? Size? Any word on intercooler?

For the 3 bolt exhaust housings it is similar to a PTE housing. I believe Reed and Limit actually get their housings from the same place. Typically .63 and .85 AR.

For the 4 bolt housings there are too many to type...you have open housings, twin scroll housings, etc...

Intercooler... dude..I luv ya man, but I won't have anything for you until my engine is built and in the car... UNLESS someone is willing to be sent the fmic and make the mounts and piping, and I will pay them to do so...

The Treadstone FMIC guy is taking a long, long time...shit better be cheap for the piping...

I'm starting to work on the intercooler article btw...this thing may take some time...

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 11 2018, 09:36:23 PM »
Curious as to the IC Reed has in his car for the run he made. My bad...lol! Reed pretty much has the same mule I have. You can see where I'm going with this. Doing my homework...

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 11 2018, 09:50:09 PM »
Curious as to the IC Reed has in his car for the run he made. My bad...lol! Reed pretty much has the same mule I have. You can see where I'm going with this. Doing my homework...

I have to ask him some questions on a turbo I sent in for a rebuild. If I remember, I will ask him for you.

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11 2018, 09:53:46 PM »
So I am writing this Intercooler article, and I am wondering what you guys would like me to touch on in this thing?

So far I have the definitions and explanations of a lot of the common terms associated with intercoolers, but nothing else.

Any input for what you'd like to see is welcome.

Thank you.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 11 2018, 09:55:53 PM »

I have to ask him some questions on a turbo I sent in for a rebuild. If I remember, I will ask him for you.

Thanks. Will check my e-mail in the morning.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 11 2018, 09:57:48 PM »
Tradeoffs? backpressure vs?  effect of the air mass? myths?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal