Author Topic: i put on a replacement door relase  (Read 4499 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
i put on a replacement door relase
« on: October 18 2015, 10:08:13 PM »
A couple weeks back I was leaving work(the old job for those following along). There if I was last out and ups had picked up I'd lock the gate after I pulled my car out. I got the pull the inside handle to open hhe door and it comes off in my hand. I was kinda mad and kinda sad. Hard to know how many times I had pulled it to get out. One thing for sure I needed a replacement.

So I hit the interwebz to see what I could find. As far as I could tell there is a Chinese made and a Taiwan made replacement. I thought about going the used route but then ih is the 25 yr old pot metal again and I didn't want to have to replace it again any time soon.

I found a Taiwan made piece on eBay for like $12 w/free shipping. So I'm thinking I can't get a used one shipped for that so I ordered it. It came pretty quick but with the new job, and then the second day of the new job the silly think would not start. Turned out to br the pump relay I put on in May. I got a replacement on order and bought another from their competitor to see if it will last any longer. The counter guy tells me it has a lifetime warranty. I told him a lifetime warranty doesn't get me to work. Any way back to the door handle.

A week or so ago I pulled the door panel. I found a build sheet, which was a side cool. I was pretty sure he handle was riveted on but wanted to be sure. I started the search for our pop rivet gun and rivets. I located them this am so i pulled the door panel again and drilled out the rivets. Pulled the old handle and tried to put the new one in.  The silly thing didn't line up with the holes.

So I massage the bracket a bit so it will line up and I can rivet it on. Be sure to attach the actuator rod to the handle before riveting. Or you will have to drill the new rivets to get the rod attached.

Worked great. We will see how long it lasts.

On a side note, I found some carnage while hunting the rivet gun.

I bet a few of us have experienced this.

The rod bolts held. Too bad the rod turned loose.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Re: i put on a replacement door relase
« Reply #1 on: October 18 2015, 10:26:20 PM »
That rod pic looks nasty....  What other parts were scarred when that happened?  Glad you got the handle fixed, it'll be cold soon and it's no fun rolling down the window to open the door when it's freezing rain
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18 2015, 10:39:02 PM »
That came out of the oil pan from a truck I helped a buddy swap engines on way back. I think his wife ran it out of oil. I didn't ask. I just helped put the next one in and get if running. I do remember her having quite a good figure with a large chest. I'm guessing this is why he gave her a pass on blowing up the engine in his truck.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24 2015, 06:30:25 PM »
Seems like this is the new normal. Get the Taiwan "mold" and finish to make work. Try billing and explaining it to a customer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal