Author Topic: Youtube mechanics suck  (Read 2685 times)

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Youtube mechanics suck
« on: March 20 2019, 07:08:00 PM »
Just update my sig with my 2007 F150's mileage - 270k. Doesn't use or leak a drop of oil, always reliable.

So I'm on Youtube, and see a video by the "Car Wizard" about how bad these motors are. (Car Wizard is known as he's Hoovie's Garage's mechanic, good channel to check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdEczn3MVkx_4PnMZ10MVFA ) so I watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcN_WcGr4BU

Sooo.. you're client bought a truck that someone hadn't taken care of, sludge clogs oil passages, and it's Ford's fault? Can't you pull the heads, clean them, and install new phasers? You have to replace the entire engine? Reason #124398167243986712 I learned how to fix my own shit.

Maybe I should open a shop, it's like stealing money.  :rolleyes;
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Youtube mechanics suck
« Reply #1 on: March 20 2019, 08:43:49 PM »
It can be plum disgusting and disheartning to watch some of these guys
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20 2019, 09:09:03 PM »
It's amazing just how irksome some of those videos are.

Once I started learning about youtube advertising monies and affiliate links, it really highlights how shitty a lot of those videos are. They are nothing but cashgrabs to generate clicks and watched minutes.

I watched a ''Cleetus McFarland'' video earlier that was nothing but him spending 15 minutes showing a Geo Tracker drive 15 feet into a pond.     Before that, he made a 20 minute video of him finishing off a POS engine they rigged together that couldn't even pull off the lights.

I really got into Flying Sparks Garage when I found it (her), but they've pretty much cashed in and the channel is updated just enough to show that customers don't care about her husband. And it looks like a large part of her thing now is selling shirts on behalf of the Roadkill guys.

I've noticed that another thing the ''youtube creators'' do these days is bounce off each other.   They've slipped and fell into a LARGE stack of cash as long as they follow the recipe.  It's damn near incestuous with all the ''I'll put a link below.....'', ''click here to join their channel'' stuff.    That's why so many videos have them begging us to subscribe and click the bell.   Apparently, they make more money per minute if people do that.

I might just be extra bitter since I just got a new ROKU TV that has the latest youtube app that puts adds ever 2 minutes into a video.   Can't find the first adblocker to kill that crap off.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21 2019, 08:34:26 AM »
It makes my career somewhat frustrating. 50 years experience down the drain, I could have just You Tubed every repair. I dare them to pass the L1 ASE test.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21 2019, 11:00:28 PM »
No different than regular tv. They have ads I guess. I don't watch it any more. Just Netflix, Hulu and YouTube. I like the mustie1 fellow and I watch Hiram Gutierrez  and the transmission bench guy.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21 2019, 11:24:11 PM »
Mustie is a great follow - there's gems out there for sure,
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k