Author Topic: Filters?  (Read 6401 times)

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Filters?
« on: February 25 2019, 03:31:58 PM »
I'm thinking of changing oil filters.  I currently use the NAPA gold.  Came across this article.  Most have the Mobil 1 filters close to the top.  But of course there are so many different opinions.  What filters are you guys using?
https://axleadvisor.com/best-engine-oil-filters/

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
Re: Filters?
« Reply #1 on: February 25 2019, 03:49:24 PM »
I use the NAPA/WIX. the linked test seems lame to me
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 25 2019, 04:01:37 PM »
Baldwin first choice and Napa Wix second
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25 2019, 05:18:30 PM »
I use the NAPA/WIX. the linked test seems lame to me
Agreed!  It was the first link that comes up but I compared it with 5 others.  The mobil seem to be close to the top on most tests then on others the filters are all over the map.

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25 2019, 05:52:47 PM »
I’ve ALWAYS used Wix 51036....lots of debate.
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25 2019, 09:47:33 PM »
Wix is what I have local. Invest in a filter cutter so you can open them up and have a look to see what’s going on. Some folks go as far as oil analysis. I would think you need to do a lot of driving to justify that cost though
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26 2019, 02:40:16 AM »
Depends on the store.   O'really's is Wix, NAPA is NAPA Gold, Advanced is Purealotor Pure One (not the normal one), Vatozone is Mobil1, truck stop is Baldwin.

K&N is good two and I think at both Vatozone and AAV have them, but that stupid little nut on the end gets on my nerves.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26 2019, 02:48:41 AM »
OK......    Just skimmed the article and a few flags popped up....

The fact the Fram placed at all is flag by itself. It's standing higher than Pure One and Wix is just ludicrous.

Like the other filters on this list, the FRAM Standard filter is very well-reviewed.

Well reviewed by whom?  People that watch commericals?

Purolator’s PureONE is roughly the same price as the FRAM unit mentioned above ($6-$7). As an added bonus, it is the top-ranked filter when subjected to SAE filtration tests

An ''added bonus''.   I think that's a little more important than ''well-reviewed''.

Users boast that the Wix line of spin-on filters are especially easy to install and require very low maintenance.

How is one spin on filter easier to install than another?  And who TF does maintenance on a replaceable wear item?

This HAS to be a site that generates income based on clicks.   I feel bad for reading it.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26 2019, 09:58:36 AM »
Most of these sites are.  It's hard to find legit reviews based on fact and science anymore.

that little nut on the end of the K&N's are really handy on some installs, but, they had a really bad reputation for leaking around the weld that attached it to the can at one time...always made me nervous.

The Baldwin for some of our applications had a higher pressure bypass which is nice on our cars especially for those mullets that are running high volume pumps which usually cause the filters to bypass cold, dirty oil on start ups.

The only decent thing about standard (non-racing) Fram filters was the skateboard tape around the can for grip.

The HP series of the Fram line used to be totally different inside and was a pretty good filter.  It also had the higher pressure bypass.  I have not cut one open in a few years and I am not going to buy one now to cut it open.  I;m sticking with Wix/Napa and Baldwin.

I am surprised how the brilliant, near snowflake, younger generation believes what they read on the 'Net.  I think the latest career occupation is being a paid, professional online reviewer...cli ck, click, click
Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26 2019, 10:45:36 AM »
Depends on the store.   O'really's is Wix, NAPA is NAPA Gold, Advanced is Purealotor Pure One (not the normal one), Vatozone is Mobil1, truck stop is Baldwin.

K&N is good two and I think at both Vatozone and AAV have them, but that stupid little nut on the end gets on my nerves.
I just bought a NAPA gold yesterday and it cost me $13!  Thanks to Trump's Tariffs all our car parts have gone up big time.  I'm just looking for a decent less expensive alternative.  That is why I asked about the Mobil 1.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26 2019, 10:47:00 AM »

x2
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26 2019, 10:54:52 AM »

x2

That's less than one of your trips to Tim Horton's.  Quit your whinging!  Buy a Fram.  You can pay them now, and then you can pay them later!  Geez...my oil filter cost me $13 of my discounted dollars....Fac e it, you cannot afford a Buick.  I am sending the Radius Kid to confiscate your toys!
Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
That same filter was $8 last year! :013:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26 2019, 11:03:41 AM »
about time Uncle Sam got his fair share.  Your government just added more tax and blamed it on the mean ol' 'Muricans!

That filter will be good for another 8000 kms which is more than you will probably drive the car in the next ten years
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26 2019, 11:15:40 AM »
I changed the oil/filter on my GN after every race weekend...and I raced most weekends. 8 bucks a couple times a year. I don't wanna hear about it.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal