Author Topic: Whole story  (Read 9905 times)

Offline ledzeppac

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Whole story
« on: July 18 2005, 03:00:12 PM »
well you already know I got his 'best' trans becuase I like to buy once...

Right from the get go the first time around it shifted exrtremely hard. Every shift felt like I was being rear ended. After a week it softened a bit. Drove it for a month and a half. I had no time to take it into him.
During that month it started to miss shifts and shift up and down repeatedly.

I went with my cousin to have them check it out again. And Art's assistant started givng me a bunch of sh*t. Saying that I ran the trans too hard and was doing burn outs. I politely said, "nope, not in my car. It has a knock issue and I don't even see boost." We both could tell he was not buying it so my cuz chimed in with, " he drives it like a Pussy." So I say PLEASE NO boost at all. In 10 different ways. 10 different languages, 10 different times, I even tried to do it in sign language for him.... Get the idea?

So we leave. I call 3 days later to check up and talk to Art. Art says the trans is in and it was a stuck valve that was causing all the trouble. But its not ready becuase they can't get it to shift at WOT above 4K RPMS. Calmely I said, "well thats because the engine doesnt turn higher than 4k because I need to change valve springs and I have a knick issue so stop what your doing."--Art, "oh......ok well the cars done them."

Pick it up and all seems fine. Shifts are not as hard but dont seem to be as tight. Shift 1-2 seems too fast and not the traditional GN 1-2 shift...

Now a couple weeks later... again missing shifts every once in a while. Holding in between gears not shifting. I know this is killing what little engine performance I have. I have to give it tons of gas to get the car going. I hope its not the engine it self.
I have a feeling Art is getting a little too old and his help blows.  The first time I have no idea how they could have let me drive home with the car like that.  3 miles away I was like," did they fucking test drive this?"  Unfortunatly its my only car and I need some time in advance to borrow family member's cars.

I will take it back to him when I get a chance. Unfortuantly football is starting and well no time at all.

I will add Art is a very nice guy.

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
Whole story
« Reply #1 on: July 18 2005, 04:29:59 PM »
Is your TV cable set right? I've set mine up wrong before and that's exactly what it did.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: Whole story
« Reply #2 on: July 18 2005, 07:05:39 PM »
I should be buying a CK tranny pretty soon!   :supz:  :supz:
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
« Reply #3 on: July 18 2005, 07:46:32 PM »
afew months ago I researched buying a tranny, ArtCarr had alot of bad stuff said about his trannies. I guess they used to be the shit a long time ago then the business changed hands. The only thing I'd buy from AC is a shift kit.

I dont get it, arnt you suppost to do burnouts at the track? I'd figure a 3K tranny would be built to handle the track. So what if you did burnouts!?!?!
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline ledzeppac

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Whole story
« Reply #4 on: July 18 2005, 08:01:35 PM »
There is an Art Carr tranns shop in texas that tookthe real Art Carr's name.  I got a real Art Carr trans.  He's from Hunington.

Yes they were supposed to be the shit at least up until a couple years ago.

I guess the non lu 9 inchers that he makes are bad ass

The trans I got was rated at 950HP.  My 60HP(no joke maximun 60 HP) killed it.

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
Whole story
« Reply #5 on: July 19 2005, 04:32:10 AM »
I think it was his son or his son-in-law that took his name. For a while he was "the Real Art Carr" as well. You're in Orange County right? I'll see if I'll be up there sooner or later. In the meantime, I still think it's your TV cable.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19 2005, 12:56:41 PM »
I agree with them, its probably the TV cable adjustment.
I strongly recommend making the time to fix the drivability
issues with your car. Running it like that will kill the engine over time.
Rob

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
« Reply #7 on: July 19 2005, 01:35:32 PM »
I said TV cable....what? Months ago?

But IIII'MMMM banned from t6p tech  :rofl;
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline straycat990

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Buickless and Loving It!!!
    • View Profile
Whole story
« Reply #8 on: July 19 2005, 04:02:47 PM »
hmm if its the TV cable ...that has to be one of the easiest things to set.  I just love how tranny guys like to act like its fuckin magical.   You just push in the button on the side of the TV cable, slide the cable covering out and then get in the car and hammer the throttle ....and there folks the TV cable is magical set.  I see more tranny guys try to cover up their mistakes by blaming an out of adjustment TV cable.

Which in Phil's case,  if I read it right, Art Carr installed the tranny ......so if the cable is out of adjustment ...its his frickin fault.

Offline ledzeppac

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Whole story
« Reply #9 on: July 19 2005, 05:19:17 PM »
um I don't think its the TV cable.  Len Freeman was at Fontana the day I picked it up the (first) time and he said the cable was fine.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19 2005, 05:55:21 PM »
Sometimes they require a little fine adjusment from
the mashing the throttle to the floor position.
Rob

Offline straycat990

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Buickless and Loving It!!!
    • View Profile
Whole story
« Reply #11 on: July 19 2005, 07:03:59 PM »
Not alot of fine adjustment in them ... its set correctly or you loosen it a click.  If you loosen it a click then you are making an adjustment to cover up a problem.  Most tranny shops don't service valve bodies and have no way of testing them. they just pull them, wash them in some solvent and reinstall them.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Whole story
« Reply #12 on: July 19 2005, 07:30:46 PM »
Quote from: "ledzeppac @ Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:19 pm"
um I don't think its the TV cable.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

« Reply #13 on: July 19 2005, 11:40:59 PM »
I have had two Art Carr transmissions. The first one lasted 1400 miles. They fought me tooth and nail about fixing it. They finally relented and fixed it with me paying for the labor. That trans lasted 300 miles then puked. Good people to do business with.  :jerkit;

I now have a DRW unit and that has lasted for a long time and Don was very accomodating for me. He even cut me a break because he felt sorry for me and the thrashing I took from the Great Art Carr. I told Don that I was road racing the car and he still put a warranty on it.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19 2005, 11:42:07 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous @ Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:40 pm"
I have had two Art Carr transmissions. The first one lasted 1400 miles. They fought me tooth and nail about fixing it. They finally relented and fixed it with me paying for the labor. That trans lasted 300 miles then puked. Good people to do business with.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal