Author Topic: testing with power logger files  (Read 7087 times)

Offline TurboCajun

• Keith Theriot
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
  • 6 Packed
    • View Profile
testing with power logger files
« on: November 29 2013, 01:58:29 PM »
I have been hearing some noise when in boost which sounds like knock but its not showing on scan, I went out and recorded a few hits with the power logger , 2 hits from a stop with alot of wheels spin and one in third gear and one just normal.
85 GN -- Converted to 87 set-up using 66/72 turbo, front mount I/C, 80lb injectors,gn1 heads 14 bolt 1.65 roller rockers stud mount, ported intake with plate, fuel hot wire, 3" dp, running 24psi., alky kit, stroker 20 over, 212/206 roller,  best time 10.995 @ 121 1.56 60ft

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: testing with power logger files
« Reply #1 on: November 29 2013, 03:56:10 PM »
have you verified the knock sensor is able to alert the ECM?
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 29 2013, 04:19:29 PM »
are you running a stock maf or a Translator
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29 2013, 05:33:50 PM »
I don't see anything out of the ordinary on the 3rd gear pull.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline TurboCajun

• Keith Theriot
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • 6 Packed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29 2013, 06:56:44 PM »
Steve I am running translator,
Earl on a WOT down shift it usually shows about 1.8 on the scan master and some other times I will see very low readings like .0? Its a fairly new knock sensor and torqued to 14 in.
today I pulled plugs and did a leak down test and all were good. readjusted the rockers while i had the valve covers off. I had three spark plugs that look unusual, on one side of the plug there were a dark orange/yellow.
Also I was studying the PL file and notice that the mph was slow to get up but the RPMs was high, my thought was maybe trans slipping, so I went and did another pull from a dry stop, ok tires start spinning and smoking thru first gear speedo is at 45 than jumps to 85 than back to 45 than jumps to 55, all the while the car feels like the tires are steady spinning without change, (I am hearing the knocking noise). so my question is could the converter be making this noise and slipping, because the motor seems to be  running fine. normal driving I do not feel like the trans is slipping at all .
85 GN -- Converted to 87 set-up using 66/72 turbo, front mount I/C, 80lb injectors,gn1 heads 14 bolt 1.65 roller rockers stud mount, ported intake with plate, fuel hot wire, 3" dp, running 24psi., alky kit, stroker 20 over, 212/206 roller,  best time 10.995 @ 121 1.56 60ft

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29 2013, 07:12:36 PM »
There's some 'trick' to get converter slip to show on powerlogger. I can't recall how I turned mine on. I do remember it didn't make much sense but that might tell you if you have excessive drivetrain losses.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
click on "Adjust" in F3 and enter the following as a start

midgear (third gear) 48

high gear (4th gear) 31.5

Leave a zero in low gear.

then drive the car at cruise in third and fourth with the covnerter locked up at steady throttle.  If the CS% are not very close to zero....adjust the numbers very slightly until you get it...that will be about as good as you can do
Steve Wood

Offline TurboCajun

• Keith Theriot
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • 6 Packed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29 2013, 08:18:14 PM »
Steve you may have to explain this in more detail , you lost me. I am assuming that the power logger has to be connected to the ecm to make the change or is this just changing what the power logger reads.
« Last Edit: November 29 2013, 08:35:56 PM by TurboCajun »

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
Check your TPS reading at the top of each gear.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29 2013, 09:13:54 PM »
Steve you may have to explain this in more detail , you lost me. I am assuming that the power logger has to be connected to the ecm to make the change or is this just changing what the power logger reads.

No, it does not have to be connected..jus t open PL, hit F3, click on Adjust and enter a value for 3rd and 4th gears...don't worry about first and second...leave them at zero.  I think you can take one of your existing .dat files and look at it after you have put the values in and you will see CS% displayed on the graph page, second graph from the top on the right hand side of the page

The chip defaults to LV8 to set Power Enrichment so tps is not critical other than for programming the chip...normall y anything over about 2.5 on the tps is enough at wot for the load  (lv8)to be high enuf to trigger PE
Steve Wood

Offline TurboCajun

• Keith Theriot
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • 6 Packed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
TPS readings are low because I did not remove the floor mat ( I only do that at the track).

Steve-- I did what you said and the first log I pulled up the % was at 45 and as soon as I moved to next frame it went to 0% and never changed again, I even tried other logs and they all show 0%

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29 2013, 10:04:01 PM »
does it show the converter to be locked on the data page?

Never mind that, it does not show third or fourth gear switches turned on so I am guessing they are bad in the tranny

Fix it so you can get wide open throttle with the floor mat in...
« Last Edit: November 29 2013, 10:10:43 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

Offline TurboCajun

• Keith Theriot
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • 6 Packed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29 2013, 10:28:06 PM »
no It does not show converter locked

IF I close power logger and reopen then click on the  highest point of boost in the graft it gives me a number in the 280-290 range than as soon as I move to the next frame it goes to zero and will not change unless I close and restart PL again.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29 2013, 11:00:52 PM »
you have no signal for third and fourth so the computer does not know what gear it is in so you will not see converter slip because it needs the gear to calculate the slip
« Last Edit: November 30 2013, 11:06:57 AM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

Offline TurboCajun

• Keith Theriot
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • 6 Packed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30 2013, 11:07:22 AM »
if you look at the logs, when I let off the gas and shift into OD it shows the converter lock up, but it doesn't show 3&4

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal