Author Topic: Cam question  (Read 3136 times)

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
Cam question
« on: October 18 2013, 11:00:38 PM »
I found a engine built by a local builder that has a decent Turbo Buick reputation. The motor seems to be a very good deal and has everything I want. The kicker is the cam is very radical for anything I'd want to do. 
The cam is a hyd. roller .496/.496 /258/258/ Comp cams . Hyd. roller Comp lifters and a Harland Sharp roller rocker shaft system. What would a TE44 and a 10 " PTC 2800 stall be like with a cam like that? would it better to disassemble and drop in a 206/206 roller? The motor it's self is setup to run hard maybe a 10/9 second capable motor. But I want to just run in the 11's. I want this motor because it is a very good deal and I couldn't build anything close to that for the price he wants. 
Stratman: Is it even running?

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Cam question
« Reply #1 on: October 19 2013, 12:57:17 AM »
With a big cam, you need to up the static compression ratio to keep the dynamic compression in range.  Most of the time engine 'builders' don't take that into consideration and VE goes into the toilet (along with gas mileage).

Make sure it's not a high compression engine to start with.  Since you're running a TE44 a smaller cam would probably make the car a lot more fun (and economical) to drive.  If you like bench racing, I'd stick with the big cam cause those are almost as good as big exhaust tips.

Any idea what the .050" numbers are on that cam?
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19 2013, 05:41:19 AM »
That is Comp Cams 206/206  #69-200-8 258HR
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19 2013, 08:15:26 AM »
That is Comp Cams 206/206  #69-200-8 258HR

So the cam in question is in fact a 206 ?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 19 2013, 09:41:57 AM »
That is what it shows to be.  Not tremendously bad duration wise so it will be okay, I think.  It will be softer than a stock cam on bottom end as Earl stated but not real bad.  Hopefully your converter is loose enuf to cover it up.

Cams are not very important in Turbo cars.  Steve Yaklin's old car went 10.4 recently for the new owner on a stock short block with stock factory cam...and a big turbo.  It has ported iron heads and about 9.5 compression along with his home brew alky system and steve's Max Effort Thumbwheel chip set to 18 degs of timing and an old Art Carr non lock up converter
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19 2013, 03:48:32 PM »
Turbos are defiantly the great equalizer.  In N/A applications you have to do valve jobs, and port, and polish, raise compression, cam it, blah blah, blah....     with a turbo you just twist a threaded rod and make the air smaller.  :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19 2013, 05:22:01 PM »
That's my point I thought at first the cam was 258/258 rather then 206/206, I thought holy F**k who would put such a wild cam in a 109. 

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 19 2013, 05:36:59 PM »
Many an idiot has tried, but not in this case
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal