Author Topic: TA Front Cover  (Read 3599 times)

Offline ttipe

• VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY NUT CASE
  • Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
TA Front Cover
« on: July 22 2013, 10:30:42 PM »
I purchased a front cover from TA since I was looking for close impeller to oil pump pocket clearance (this clearance carries the most weight in terms of oil efficiency). I was setting up my roller cam thrust button clearance and after multiple on off cycles of the front cover I notice a crack in the cover. It's the passenger side water pump port (the bolt that hangs out like a peer). Anyone have this occurance before. Bolt torques were around 38-40nm. Looks like a tig weld job on an expensive front cover. The ear is  not broken off but I'm looking at longevity and thermal cycling. Any feed back is appreciated.   
4" CAI, severely modded TA61, PTE slic with modded scoop,Weber shrtblock (in process modded Hemco), ported intake, ported GN1's, 212,206,111 cam, T & D 1.6 ratio,8.51 to 1,TA headers,60 lb's , XFI, 8an fuel feed, 6an return, 340L, 9.5 PTC 3200, Janis 2004R, boxed upr & lwrs, HR sway bar 275/ 60r/15s

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: TA Front Cover
« Reply #1 on: July 22 2013, 10:32:29 PM »
It happens

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22 2013, 11:40:23 PM »
Those things are crap. I would run a 300,000 mile GM cover that I found at the bottom of a lake before running one of those polished pieces of junk.

(and yes, I'm biased, but that doesn't make me wrong)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22 2013, 11:43:10 PM »
As an interesting side note, I recall a thread on TB.kom where a guy had a brand new TA cover with a cracked ear next to the water port.   They were happy to take it back and make the customer happy.    I wonder if they passed it off to you, or if they have a bad batch or shitty handling practices.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline ttipe

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23 2013, 11:30:33 PM »
The only reason I got one of these covers was because of pocket to gear clearance. You clean the pocket up with light paper to eliminate the high spots but you increase the clearance between the pocket wall and the impeller. I had the thing welded up but now I have to tear it apart due to weld flux and debris. I had a conversation with M.T. at TA and learned a number of things about those covers. I'm not impressed with the results from this cover before the casting fracture.
4" CAI, severely modded TA61, PTE slic with modded scoop,Weber shrtblock (in process modded Hemco), ported intake, ported GN1's, 212,206,111 cam, T & D 1.6 ratio,8.51 to 1,TA headers,60 lb's , XFI, 8an fuel feed, 6an return, 340L, 9.5 PTC 3200, Janis 2004R, boxed upr & lwrs, HR sway bar 275/ 60r/15s

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23 2013, 11:35:46 PM »
I had a conversation with M.T. at TA and learned a number of things about those covers. I'm not impressed with the results from this cover before the casting fracture.

I saw a picture of the gear pocket in a T/A cover on the .kom board and I am NOT impressed.  Whoever wrote the program to 'port' that over skipped a basic rule in hydraulics.  In the future, I'm expecting failures on cars with that cover that actually gets driven. Garage queens should be fine.

I heard about the loose pocket to gear clearances with the GM units too..... 

Every time I have to hand lap a GM cover to get up to minimum clearance just so the gears will spin freely, I think about how loose T/A keeps saying they are.

One day I will learn how they 'remachine' the pocket smaller than it started like they do.  :\
« Last Edit: July 23 2013, 11:41:23 PM by earlbrown »

Offline ttipe

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24 2013, 11:56:14 PM »
This new TA cover is coming apart to be cleaned and repacked.What jumped out at you that was obviously wrong with the TA cover in terms of hydraulics?. I have a feeling I'll be doing more than I thought.I'm just not happy about paying over $600 for this cover,then paying $60 to repair the crack and finally having to check clearances and the work done. The cover is a Chinese die cast thats machined here. The grade of aluminum is not great either.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25 2013, 04:08:39 PM »
They're over $600 now?!!!!!!    ?    Holy crap that's a lot of money for that part.

I feel bad for asking $400 for mine but damn!!!

Since you're having to take yours apart to try and fix it, feel free to PM me and I'll do whatever I can to try and help you get decent oil control without losing an engine.   I'm in FL right now at my parents beach house (slang for fixing storm damage for free instead of chasing ass on the beach) so I have to drive to Pubelix for free wi-f, so it might be slow getting back to you.  lol

Offline tb3

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25 2013, 09:48:09 PM »
$600?
I thought they where like $125 or in that neighborhood, just a couple years ago
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25 2013, 10:28:10 PM »
been 600 for a long time or close to it...I remember being in shock 12 years ago when one of my friends bought one..tho that was for a 455

and it has a big gouge in it when it arrived
Steve Wood

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25 2013, 10:34:19 PM »
I'm confused (as usual) again.  :icon_eyes:
this is what I thought we where talking about
http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA%5F1530A

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25 2013, 10:39:50 PM »
we are talking about the complete unit
Steve Wood

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27 2013, 08:55:33 AM »
aha!   :rock:

Offline ttipe

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27 2013, 03:35:01 PM »
Earl the rough cast part (from China) give them lots of room to tighten the impeller to wall clearance. The pocket finish texture is finer than oe like a hone. No burrs on the impellers, no shaft wobble on the drive impeller.Looks like all the correct edges are broken and radiused. I would need a CFD program and model to see if their pocket porting is better than yours.The plate is correct, thicker than what I used to use and cleaner up with the impeller oiler slot.Thanks for offerring help as needed.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
did I miss the part about what is wrong with their porting?
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal