Author Topic: TA timing chain  (Read 2437 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
TA timing chain
« on: August 19 2012, 10:20:11 PM »

Quote from: 1KWIKSIX
you're not building a 600+ HP motor, I'd recommend going with TA Performances' Billet Steel Timing Gear Set & their HD Single Row Chain that utilizes a stock style tensioner. On a mild engine build using alcohol, etc.....it will be fine.....+ it will be much quieter vs a double row chain that doesn't use a tensioner.I went this route over the winter when I changed over my original timing chain and gears after 60,000+ miles.

Now if Dave (above) ever gets his car running we could get a review....

and give us the part numbers?

-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: TA timing chain
« Reply #1 on: August 20 2012, 12:08:20 AM »
When I lost my stock timing set I went with an all steel set. My magnetic drain plug had an afro every time I changed the oil. When that set failed I found it tore my timing cover all to hell (hence the infamous how-to article)

When I went back with a stock nylon coated set and the afro stopped. Even after getting stolen and ran with no coolant and oil pressure (until total failure) the timing set looked fine.

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20 2012, 07:15:12 AM »
Got the car running last week! (Finally)  :icon_kidra:

However, a slight exhaust leak is evident on the drivers side header.   :013:
Discovered a broken shifter stalk, which would explain why my shifter handle was wobbly & always coming off. The   area where the "C" clip rests was broken off on the top of the shifter stalk!   :icon_madu:

So just gotta replace the shifter stalk and she should be pretty much good to go.

Now to try and find some time to clean out the garage so I will have a place to park it after brining it outta the shop. 

Don't seem to be able to find much spare time these days to be able to work on the car with all the pressures of work & home / family obligations. However, I hope to be able to squeeze in some time for the Buick very soon.

Should be able to give you a review of the TA Billet Steel Timing Gear Set with stock style tensioner soon.

Will post the part numbers for you after I dig up the TA invoice.

dave

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
Being the engine won't see 600+hp I was told the same thing not to go with double row chain. I did check out many including TA Billet Steel Timing Gear, but for the price I went with Cloyes #C-3018K set, (http://www.cloyes.com/default.aspx?tabid=378) and used the stock style tensioner. I'm glad I listen to our members, as the engine sounds quieter than ever.
 :rock:

87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal