Author Topic: Anybody running a solid maf pipe with the factory maflike the BuickGN cold air system?  (Read 11572 times)

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
I am interested in info on maf's going out when hooked up to a solid maf pipe?
Every now and then I pick up info on the maf's going out when hooked up to a solid maf pipe in lieu of the corregated pos factory stuff. Any comments or info will be appreciated.

DCEPTCN

Re: Anybody running a cold air system such as the BucikGN (Mark Hueffman)
« Reply #1 on: December 27 2005, 07:02:55 PM »
My maf has been great to me and it's got chrome pipe in either direction.  :yawinkle:

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
No issues. I replaced mine because the damn stock one got a hole rubbed in it. Brushed aluminized steel. Leave the screens on, keep debris from hitting the filaments and prematurely wearing it out. I'm using a NAPA MAF too, no problems, guess I got lucky.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline gordyzx9r

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
Solid MAF pipe...NOS MAF with one screen removed...no issues.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
The thing to stay away from is the bracket that Poston's and
Kirban's sell that attaches the MAF to the engine. It transmits
to much vibration from the engine to the MAF.
Rob

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
Rob you could have a point there with the vibrations.

I have had solid MAF pipe with the stock MAF and no problems.  Last year I upgraded to the LS1 MAF and a translator along with the Big Mouth Cold Air Intake - no problems with that either.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
TopSpeed: Do you have any pics of your current system showing the translator & the Mark hueffman cold air system. Could you post some or e-mail me some.
TIA

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Gary,

Look in my picture gallery on this site.  The first picture that comes up is one showing where I mounted the Translator.  I got the regular translator - I did not need the Translator Plus since I make my timing adjustments in the chip.

The third pic in the gallery is one showing the engine bay and the Big Mouth setup.

Here is the link to the gallery:

http://ihadav8.com/phpBB2/album_personal.php?user_id=66
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Great looking set-up. I especially like how you mounted the valve cover oil breathers direct to the valve cover for a low, uncluttered look. The aftermarket ones that I see available mount on damn pedestals way too high. Looks like the space needle. Who makes those, and how do they mount so low without a base?

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Thanks Gary.  The breathers are made by K&N.  The valve covers are aftermarket so that may be the difference that you are noticing.  The breathers just fit into a rubber grommet in the valve cover and push down almost touching the cover.

Chris

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
That MAF pro from Full throttle sounds interesting. It eliminates
the MAF altogether.
Rob

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
Elaborate please.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline granitestategn

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Recklessrob @ Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:30 am"
That MAF pro from Full throttle sounds interesting. It eliminates
the MAF altogether.

Rob,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Funny you should mention that, I just got my MaftPro a couple days ago. I also bought the LC-1 WBO2 sensor. I plan on going mafless (speed density) this year and running closed loop AFR control. The MaftPro also has electronic closed loop boost control. This thing is gonna ROCK! My goal is to hit 11's this year. I'm along way from that now but I should get it with the shelfload of crap in my basement installed.

Gary,

Didn't mean to hijack so I'll respond to your question also. I've have a solid MAF pipe on my car with my original OEM MAF for a couple of years and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. Mine is not attached directly to the engine by any kind of bracket.
87 GN, 97K, original owner, stock turbo, stock IC, 60# inj, Turbotweak 93 chip, some other odds & ends

12.98 @ 104

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
Quote from: "granitestategn @ Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:13 pm"
The MaftPro

I hope to go with the maftpro this year. I like it.
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
That's a little above my head yet, Maybe heads & then the mafless for me. I don't even have a intake plan yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal