Author Topic: New PL having issues  (Read 2193 times)

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
New PL having issues
« on: January 13 2014, 09:02:43 PM »
I installed my new PL and Scanmaster update. Last night I was able to get my laptop to connect to PL in the car. It was late so I didn't try to start car and monitor. This afternoon I went to connect the PL to car and said drivers were not installed, so I reinstalled them again and got PL connected. When I started car PL disconnected and said "serial error" could not send data. It would not connect again while running. I tried shutting down PL and starting back up, tried switching the usb ports. My scanmaster works correctly when car running (and it is very fast now). So PL only connects with key on and engine off, and disconnects once engine starts. I thought maybe somebody may have gone through this before and can send me in the right direction.  Going to do searching on some sites also. I will be ready to try to mess with it tomorrow after work but right now my frustration level is maxed out! Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention I bought a laptop from Laptop Exchange to use just for my GN. Its an HP with Windows XP Pro.
« Last Edit: January 13 2014, 09:36:48 PM by trashmechlv »
Mike G

87 GN, TA52, ATR headers, 3" downpipe, 80lb inj's and TT 6.1 chip, CAS V4 IC, PTC 9.5 NL, B&M transcooler, stock posi rear 3.42, Hellwig rear bar, Spohn solid LCAs on E85! 11.46@ 115mph

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
Re: New PL having issues
« Reply #1 on: January 14 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
Nobody has ever heard of or had similar problem?   :O
Mike G

87 GN, TA52, ATR headers, 3" downpipe, 80lb inj's and TT 6.1 chip, CAS V4 IC, PTC 9.5 NL, B&M transcooler, stock posi rear 3.42, Hellwig rear bar, Spohn solid LCAs on E85! 11.46@ 115mph

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 14 2014, 09:09:35 PM »
are you seeing a voltage drop when you crank it?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14 2014, 11:15:19 PM »
I didnt notice how much voltage drops when cranking. Today I had car running and then connected PL. It connected then disconnected after 20-30 seconds. The laptop gives me a serial error. My Scanmaster continues to display PL info even after laptop stops. Will try to check tomorrow evening after work.
Mike G

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15 2014, 08:34:07 PM »
Today I found another usb cord laying around and tried it but the same thing happened by disconnecting after working for a minute. So then I took my home laptop with Windows 7 and loaded PL into that. Started car and connected with different laptop. It monitored for a minute or so and then did the same thing of disconnecting and showed same serial error fault. I guess that would lean towards some kind of interference from car maybe?  :013:
Mike G

Offline trashmechlv

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15 2014, 09:19:41 PM »
Bob Bailey is helping me out with problem. When I get it fixed I will let you know what the problem was.
Mike G

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 17 2014, 09:42:29 AM »
I tried to answer on tapatalk and it did not work as usual and I forgot to come to the machine..but that was my suggestion.. get hold of bob :D

It sure seems like interference is knocking it out of sync but I would like to know what you all come up with.  I have quit driving one of my cars for the moment because PL keeps losing contact with the ecm and I have to wiggle the the board and drive another ten miles...being an SD chip that has to have the PL connected I cannot just remove it....need to pull the board out of the ecm and try to see if there is a dirty spot that has shown up after all these years, or find another ecm-I guess
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal