Author Topic: starter does not turn over  (Read 6599 times)

Offline channer

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
starter does not turn over
« on: October 10 2018, 10:26:56 PM »
hi all

Battery died a week ago... so I took it out to charge.  anyways, I put it back in the car tonite and no start.  The starter does not turn over.  I even tried to jumping the battery with my truck but nothing.

I don't have manuals.  Is there a starter fuse or main fuse?  Is there anything that would cause the start turn over or start.  I never had any problems with the starter. I've been driving the car all summer.  I don't know if I might have done something when I pulled & put the battery back in the car

I did one more experiment since its dark out.  I turned on the car lights on, and tried to start the car.  The headlights dims very very slightly.  Don't know if there some power going to the start.

any other suggestions or recommendation ... before I start crawling under my car this weekend

thanks in advance.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: starter does not turn over
« Reply #1 on: October 10 2018, 10:58:24 PM »
If the lights come on it would seem the battery is good. Do you have a meter to take a voltage reading at the battery?
And it isn't even clicking the solenoid even when jumping it. This leads me to think bad solenoid or bad starter motor. I usislay replace em both if going to the trouble of dropping a starter.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10 2018, 11:15:35 PM »
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11 2018, 02:26:22 AM »
If the battery is hot (and there's power in the cabin) it's most likely the starter or the neutral safety switch.

Before you tear stuff apart, try and crank it in neutral and wiggle the shifter handle while the hey is turned to the start position.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Tmhyer

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
starter does not turn over
« Reply #4 on: October 11 2018, 09:52:11 AM »
I’m willing to bet it’s the battery. A bad cell will still allow the headlights to come on, but if you put a load on it shorts out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 11 2018, 10:09:36 AM »
Earl, crawl out from under that stack of lesbians you used for a bedspread, (could that be a breadspread?) and let the O2 filter back into your brain!

There is no neutral safety switch on a Regal.  It's purely mechanical and if the key goes to Start, it is working.

Following what Tmhyer stated above, connect a meter to the battery and turn the key to start.  If the voltage drops significantly, you have a bad cell. A battery with a bad cell will usually turn the lights on, but the voltage will drop a lot when the key goes to start and puts a load on the battery.

If it does not, then you appear to have a bad starter unless someone loosened your battery cable to the starter, or such.

Note that there is one other faint possibility. Some times the ignition switch on the column can either go bad, or it can slide a 1/16" if the mounting bolts are loose and the car will refuse to start when the key is turned....so, before you unbolt the starter, jump from the battery cable post on the starter to the small post on the solenoid where the purple wire connects. If the starter engages and starts to crank, the starter is okay and the purple wire from the ignition switch is not getting powered when the key is moved to Start.

« Last Edit: October 11 2018, 10:39:06 AM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline channer

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11 2018, 10:44:34 PM »
Hi

thanks for all the replies.

this weekend, I will try everything out
- put a meter to the battery
- try & jump the starter from underneath the car
- play around with the steering column... I did try to start the car in all gear... but nothing.
- and lastly dave... I will scrounge the basement and try & find
1/. where the "other half" put my service manuals :)
2/. the mini starter that I have been hoarding for years :)
3/. find & burn the service manuals to disc

dave

Offline Pyro6

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11 2018, 10:52:30 PM »
Earl, crawl out from under that stack of lesbians you used for a bedspread, (could that be a breadspread?) and let the O2 filter back into your brain!

There is no neutral safety switch on a Regal.  It's purely mechanical and if the key goes to Start, it is working.

Following what Tmhyer stated above, connect a meter to the battery and turn the key to start.  If the voltage drops significantly, you have a bad cell. A battery with a bad cell will usually turn the lights on, but the voltage will drop a lot when the key goes to start and puts a load on the battery.

If it does not, then you appear to have a bad starter unless someone loosened your battery cable to the starter, or such.

Note that there is one other faint possibility. Some times the ignition switch on the column can either go bad, or it can slide a 1/16" if the mounting bolts are loose and the car will refuse to start when the key is turned....so, before you unbolt the starter, jump from the battery cable post on the starter to the small post on the solenoid where the purple wire connects. If the starter engages and starts to crank, the starter is okay and the purple wire from the ignition switch is not getting powered when the key is moved to Start.

So the purple wire at the starter should get battery voltage (12v or so) when key is in the crank position?

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11 2018, 10:53:41 PM »
So the purple wire at the starter should get battery voltage (12v or so) when key is in the crank position?

Correct
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11 2018, 10:54:20 PM »
You can download the manual from the link on my site.  It's an .iso file so if you are using win10, you can right click it and mount it although you may have to go to properties and unlock it if windows has locked it.

All you have to do is download it here from Google Drive here  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_taSEdSERBnSzlWSkZtT7395056.htmlWJhbjA/edit (if you get a message saying unable to scan because the file is too large, click download anyway)  The download will be in the form of an .iso file.  You can either burn it to a CD or you can open it on your harddrive using a program like Winrar.

Again, there is no electrical interupt on the starter circuit.  If the key turns all the way to start, it will work.  It is a mechanical interlock that prevents the key from going to Start if not in Park or Neutral.
Steve Wood

Offline channer

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14 2018, 12:29:42 PM »
Hi All

finally got a chance to work on the car.
- Did the battery voltage test.  It was showing 10.2 volts, dropped to just under 9 after turning on ignition
- I thought a charged battery should show 12v??  It is also showing 10.2 on my scanmaster

anyways, I took the front tires off, and banged on the starter and jiggle the wires
- turned on the ignition and starter "tried" to turn over
- jumped the battery with my truck and the car starts up
- drove it around for a bit, thinking the battery would be charged... but after I stopped and restarting it car again, I just hear the clicking of the starter

Well looks like I may need a new a battery and possibly replace the starter... or at least check the wire.

One more question... Can I kill or overcharge an AGM battery?  Since the battery died a few weeks back, I have been slow charging is using a Genius charger.  It doesn't appear to have fully charge for the week that I was charging it.  Its not an OPTIMA... but I did have/use for over 10 years.

thanks...dave

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14 2018, 02:13:15 PM »

- I thought a charged battery should show 12v?? 

thanks...dave
a battery that has been sitting,
-12.6v or above= full charge
-12.45  = 3/4 charge
-12.30  = 1/2 charge
-12.15  = 1/4 charge
the above are rules of thumb as they are voltage measurements.

Advanced Glass Mat batteries charge the same as any wet cell. If your charger will/can force charge for the period of time you are describing, you should load test this battery and determine its value. An AGM battery is the only type I will run in my M/C.
HTH
« Last Edit: October 14 2018, 02:19:34 PM by wmsonta »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14 2018, 02:44:50 PM »

Correct

Every time
Steve Wood

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14 2018, 02:46:28 PM »
I’m willing to bet it’s the battery. A bad cell will still allow the headlights to come on, but if you put a load on it shorts out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should come back and post more often....looks like your help is needed
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15 2018, 07:58:51 PM »
hi all

Battery died a week ago... so I took it out to charge.  anyways, I put it back in the car tonite and no start.  The starter does not turn over.  I even tried to jumping the battery with my truck but nothing.

I don't have manuals.  Is there a starter fuse or main fuse?  Is there anything that would cause the start turn over or start.  I never had any problems with the starter. I've been driving the car all summer.  I don't know if I might have done something when I pulled & put the battery back in the car

I did one more experiment since its dark out.  I turned on the car lights on, and tried to start the car.  The headlights dims very very slightly.  Don't know if there some power going to the start.

any other suggestions or recommendation ... before I start crawling under my car this weekend

thanks in advance.

Where the fuck have you been you parts whore...and please tell me your not still driving around with no brakes.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal