Author Topic: Which Exhaust ?  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Which Exhaust ?
« Reply #15 on: September 27 2013, 12:18:42 AM »
strange your car drones with that straight thru style of muffler...they are usually pretty much drone free.

You prefer flo masters sound?  Worse sounding mufflers I have heard and always associate them with kids that wear their ball caps backwards and hope to grow up to be UPS truck drivers because they like the sound of UPS trucks
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline deathraider6996

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: -1
  • "Pay attention to the small shit"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27 2013, 12:37:45 AM »
I like flowmasters on lifted trucks but I'm also young. I know that I wouldn't want flowmasters on the tt though. I like the comfort of no drone in them.
1987 Buick Turbo-T
PT-51
.030 over
Built trans
60 lbs inj
212/212 flat tappet
Alky single nozzle
Walbro 340
Duttneck Intercooler
3200 Vigilante Converter
Boxed lower rears
Hotchkis Drag Bar
275/60-15 MT DR

Offline TURBOPOWERED68

• David
  • Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27 2013, 07:56:35 AM »
strange your car drones with that straight thru style of muffler...they are usually pretty much drone free.

i also have that damn drone on my car.
My set up is 3" DP into a 3" X 2.5 Y into two 2.5  12" or 14" Summit or Dynomax bullets.
On long drives --- To quiet the drone down a bit i put a cap on one of the tail pipes. Looks like crap but in a hour plus drives its worth it.       
Most talk about having thick skin but thats just BS.
This damn attitude of "you didn't listen to us/me now you should burn in hell for it" really sucks.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27 2013, 09:21:12 AM »
The larger pipes tend to accentuate the drone. 

I run 2.5" on one car with Hooker Max flows or whatever they are called.  The other one has 2.75" pipes and 2.5" Ultraflos.  Neither one drones.

The three inch systems, or larger, that I have seen all have that hollow sound that I don't like.

In general, the chambered mufflers like Flow Masters are restrictive compared to the good straight thru units and generally start costing hp past about 500 hp.
Steve Wood

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27 2013, 10:03:03 AM »
I have a lift, so I'm good there.  So much for a bolt on system if you had to cut the pipes???
In the pictures I've seen of the Pypes installed, it looks like the tailpipes hang down a bit under the body.  My current tailpipes are 1" below the body.  Are your more than that? 

No, they hang down about that, they are up much closer to the body than the flowmaster system was.

With the lift cutting was no biggie, I had the first pipe mounted and then you can test fit the rest, mark where you need to cut and bust out the sawsall. I didnt expect to have to cut either but other than that the rest fits very nice
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Joel Russo

• Harrisburg, PA
  • Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27 2013, 10:13:19 AM »
Perfect, thanks for the heads up.
'87 GN, 14K miles, TE-60, 60lb inj, TT 5.7, 2800 10" NL conv, RJC 3" DP, Pypes exh w/ Race Pro, Walbro 255 w/Hotwire.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27 2013, 11:58:26 AM »
usually helps to start at the rear and work forward
Steve Wood

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27 2013, 03:16:49 PM »
The larger pipes tend to accentuate the drone. 

I run 2.5" on one car with Hooker Max flows or whatever they are called.  The other one has 2.75" pipes and 2.5" Ultraflos.  Neither one drones.

The three inch systems, or larger, that I have seen all have that hollow sound that I don't like.

In general, the chambered mufflers like Flow Masters are restrictive compared to the good straight thru units and generally start costing hp past about 500 hp.

I can't agree more.  The 4" system on my Buick drones, the 3" dual system on my MCSS drones and the dual 3" system on our TBSS droned a bit before I built a 3" catless y-pipe... now it really drones over 70mph! And that is through a huge Magnaflow with an internal x-pipe.  The Camaro is catless and is dumped before the axle (no muffler)... and it drones too.

The wagon has a 2.25" system on it with Flowmasters, not preferred by any means. But! It might just make for an enjoyable combo for the family car... and if I want drone it came with some electric cutouts that I can open at will.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
On the "stock" style pypes -very quiet, no drone to speak of- drove 800 mile trips.
If anything they seemed a little short tho- not too long at all.

search:
http://ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=2488
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27 2013, 04:00:38 PM »
How about a video with sound on your new system
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27 2013, 06:15:18 PM »
I'm part Scottish I cobbled together my own 3 inch single with a Dynomax Ultra Flow.
Love the way it sounds at Idle and WOT there is a bit of a drone at 2000-2200 but most of the time it sounds pretty good to me.
I'm kind of blind and partially deaf from age but I'm still a kid at heart especially when I drive the Buick! 
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27 2013, 06:41:49 PM »
I'm part Scottish I cobbled together my own 3 inch single with a Dynomax Ultra Flow.
Love the way it sounds at Idle and WOT there is a bit of a drone at 2000-2200 but most of the time it sounds pretty good to me.
I'm kind of blind and partially deaf from age but I'm still a kid at heart especially when I drive the Buick!

>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal