Author Topic: rebuild cost  (Read 8497 times)

Offline Dragonational

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
rebuild cost
« on: December 31 2005, 04:19:05 PM »
hey guys i am wondering what it would cost to rebuild my motor with stock internals.  I just want to do the usual pistons rings crank cam.  just a simple rebuild.  I wont have the time to do it so i am thinking of sending it somewhere to get it done.  Well what do you think.
i like burnouts they smell good

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
rebuild cost
« Reply #1 on: December 31 2005, 04:39:29 PM »
Grooms. I hear a lot of good about them.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline sun dog

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Re: rebuild cost
« Reply #2 on: December 31 2005, 05:04:29 PM »
I don't think there is such a thing as a simple rebuild.  Let us know the condition of the engine now.  If you need machine work on the cylinders, heads, crank, etc. that adds up quick.  New pistons to fill the new bore will be 400=500 alone.  I would guess having someone do everything:  removal, teardown, repair, rebuild, and install would be $5000+.
Nuke Gay Whales For Jesus

Offline sun dog

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
rebuild cost
« Reply #3 on: December 31 2005, 05:05:51 PM »
Quote from: "87natty @ Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:39 pm"
Grooms. I hear a lot of good about them.

Yeah, they seem to have a good rep and decent price.  Just no Jasper junk.

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31 2005, 05:07:29 PM »
Quote from: "Dragonational @ Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:19 pm"
hey guys i am wondering what it would cost to rebuild my motor with stock internals.

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
« Reply #5 on: January 01 2006, 12:50:03 AM »
I sent my engine to Nick (arizonaGN.com). I'm happy so far no problems. The engine has about 3000 miles on it. I havent been able to really test it out though. My tranny needs work. Nick answers every question you ask in detail. He'll even tell you if something isnt necessary...sa ves you money. No problems getting in touch with him either. If I ever have another engine built, I'll send it to Nick.

I think he does a basic rebuild for 3.5K. You'd be also looking at about 700 round trip shipping. Go to his site, click on "engine quote".

Do research on the other sites. Search for Grooms, Mercle, Hartline, LouC, Bill Anderson, and I've read about a guy in Virgina...Reds or something...IM HO he may be worth checking out also, I get a good vibe from that guy.
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline Ttype83

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01 2006, 03:07:50 PM »
If you are going to go thru the engine change the cam..I like a 204/214 grind..and do some porting to the heads..worth it in the long run.
Jim Seaton 83 T type
CarbedHotAir Slug
2 1/2\" mandrel bent dual exh wo/cat & Dynomax race bullet mufflers, MSD coil, MSD BTM,K&N filter, K hanger, CS secondaries, Comp cam 260H, BRF Trans, ET 14.8 @ 92mph 14 psi boost
Comp Cams will never get another dime of my money
USAF (retired w/22yrs)
86 T-type Stock IC & Turbo, Razor Alky, 50lb inj, Hotwire & fuel pump, tt chip

Offline Dragonational

• Turbo Street Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01 2006, 03:10:17 PM »
Cool.  the statistics on the car are 180000+ miles and it runs good for that milage.  I have good oil pressure and all that but my cam is bad and instead of just replacing the cam i figure i can get the whole thing done at one time.

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01 2006, 04:57:09 PM »
Just to use as an example of the cost of a total rebuild, Lou Czarnota has a rebuild motor in his shop right now with a tag on it of something like $5800, .030 over, and i don't remember what else went in there, but the list was very complete, and the $5800 price included uninstalling your motor and installation of the new motor. And I assume exchange on yours. It looked like a good deal to me for someone who needs a rebuild. He has a somewhat stouter rebuild in there going out the door at $7800, but including extensive head and intake manifold work. I am sure that other rebuilders have similiar examples & prices.
HTH & good luck in your choice

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
rebuild cost
« Reply #9 on: January 01 2006, 05:09:37 PM »
How much you're going to spend depends on how fast you want to go. If it's street car, you're not going to need a girdle, or steel caps or even an align bore. But if you really want to make power, you might add things like a roller cam and heads with roller rockers, and a steel crank. All that adds up quick. It's all cubic dollars.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline Dragonational

• Turbo Street Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01 2006, 06:29:41 PM »
yeah i know that its expensive but i am talking basic for now what i am thinking about is getting a short block and swapping all of my stuff over to it.  I think that it will work if i can find a deal like Lous deal I would deffinatly jump on it.  I will be looking at about 4,000$ give or take a few hundred.  i just want the car to stay health and drive everyday, but also kick some ass on the weekends.  I know that stock internals will hold to the high 11's pretty safely lots of people have done it.

Offline Ttype83

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01 2006, 10:22:03 PM »
For a shockish short block you should beable to get it done for under that...if you going to be pulling it and swapping the parts..Do you have any of the hotair blocks left?
Jim Seaton 83 T type
CarbedHotAir Slug
2 1/2\" mandrel bent dual exh wo/cat & Dynomax race bullet mufflers, MSD coil, MSD BTM,K&N filter, K hanger, CS secondaries, Comp cam 260H, BRF Trans, ET 14.8 @ 92mph 14 psi boost
Comp Cams will never get another dime of my money
USAF (retired w/22yrs)
86 T-type Stock IC & Turbo, Razor Alky, 50lb inj, Hotwire & fuel pump, tt chip

Offline sun dog

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02 2006, 02:31:15 AM »
Quote from: "Dragonational @ Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:10 pm"
Cool.  the statistics on the car are 180000+ miles and it runs good for that milage.  I have good oil pressure and all that but my cam is bad and instead of just replacing the cam i figure i can get the whole thing done at one time.

These engines are a bigger pain in the ass than a women is.  If you got great oil pressure at 180K the bottom end might have already been redone.  Maybe just a cam and freshen up on the top end would get you by for another 20k and it won't cost much.

Offline Dragonational

• Turbo Street Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02 2006, 11:21:19 AM »
Quote from: "sun dog @ Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:31 am"
Quote from: "Dragonational @ Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:10 pm"
Cool.

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02 2006, 01:21:18 PM »
With oil pressure like that you could probably get away with freshing the top end with a new cam and some new springs like the Comp 980's.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal