Author Topic: Need advice, lost some parts in a fire!  (Read 7958 times)

Offline bullnerd

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Need advice, lost some parts in a fire!
« on: April 23 2018, 12:29:49 PM »
Hi guys, haven't posted in a long time, more on the other board. I have a problem. I own a 86 t-type that I love to drive even though I haven't driven it much over the past too many years.  I pulled the engine due to blown HG, engine and almost everything associated with the engine was in my old garage. Car was moved to new garage that is still being finished on inside.  Old garage burned down last July destroying as you can imagine , almost everything in it, including many Buick parts and a completely fresh engine on a stand.

Here's where I need the advice. Do I sell the body and look for another complete car or try to piece it back together buying parts here and there? Seems like it will be very expensive to piece it back together. I don't really have any connections in the Buick world that can help me out. I did meet one guy from here that lives near me in NJ that seemed like he would probably have a spare engine laying around, but I forget his screen name.  I have been keeping an eye on CL, but I missed the one complete engine that I saw.

Any advice would be cool. 
« Last Edit: April 24 2018, 12:37:05 AM by bullnerd »

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice, lost some parts in a fire!
« Reply #1 on: April 23 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
I would think this would depend on your financial situation, the level of attachment to the car you have, and your available time. If you want that specific car or it has some kind of sentimental value putting it back together seems like a no brainer. If you just want a running driving turbo Buick selling, trading or otherwise moving to one that is together is a no brainer the other way. The parts are out there and there is value/fun in the search if that is what you are into and have the time to devote to finding and wrenching.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23 2018, 03:18:59 PM »
Ultimately it is your decision.  And I agree with Rich's assessment. But I would salvage as many parts as possible and buy a new car.  It would cost way more to put it back together.  But in the end it is your decision.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23 2018, 05:38:05 PM »
How complete is the car in the unburned garage?   If all it needs is an engine, that's doable.  Odds are you can salvage the block and heads and crank from the burned engine.

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23 2018, 11:37:25 PM »
Bob Hebert in Mass? Paul Miller in NJ(I think)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24 2018, 07:44:50 AM »
Just the engine was lost ??  Your kidding rite ??  Or is the car a rust bucket an not worth putting more $$$ into ??

Offline bullnerd

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
Well, the engine and just about everything attached to it. All the parts were on a bench, and the engine was on a stand. Block and heads can probably be saved. Intake was loaded, so all plastic parts are melted into it, including brand new injectors. Maybe some other hard parts that can stand being sand blasted can be saved. But, this still leaves A LOT of odds and ends! If I can find someone selling a pullout engine, I can probably swing it. But piece by piece is going to be expensive! You guys know how it is with guys that part out cars.

Body is in pretty good shape, no rust. Fillers are gone and could use paint. Cars black with maroon int. No sentimental value other than buying it in about 2001 or so.

Can I load pics from my computer here or have to use host?

Paul Miller sounds familiar. The guy I met lives in Monroe twnshp.

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25 2018, 04:09:45 AM »
how hot was the fire ?? where the heads stock ? are the parts all rusty or just dirty? you will have to get em magged an make sure they are flat.  I know lots of questions. I have all the brackets.

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25 2018, 09:15:14 AM »
Grumpy has forgotten more than I'll ever learn on these cars, you would do well to bribe him with the vice(s) of his choice :)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25 2018, 09:55:14 AM »
Grumpy has forgotten more than I'll ever learn on these cars, you would do well to bribe him with the vice(s) of his choice :)

Ya but at my age I am forgetting more and more everyday :icon_redface: .  My reasoning about the fire were his parts singed or melted aluminum.  :chin: :O

Ok OP where are you located ?? U goin to the TB.com nats ??

Offline bullnerd

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05 2019, 12:49:56 PM »
OK, I'm still at it, but very slowly collecting parts. We replaced the shop that burned down with an attached garage, so Its been taking up a lot of my time.

I picked up a complete used engine. Still need some brackets but I won't know for sure until I try to clean/blast/trash what I saved from the fire. Also, I found the guy that lives near me so I'll hit him first for parts since he's close.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've been on the boards long enough to recognize everyone that commented.

I'll try to post some pics of the engine.
« Last Edit: July 05 2019, 01:47:36 PM by bullnerd »

Offline bullnerd

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05 2019, 01:48:38 PM »
more

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05 2019, 05:23:21 PM »
I think it could be put back together. Strip it down and a dip in the machine shops vat and see where you are. Unless the new stuff You picked up is just better. Kind of a vague story.
Rich

Offline bullnerd

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05 2019, 06:13:10 PM »
Yeah, I agree its vague. I guess my original question was whether or not it was worth trying to scrounge all the little parts that I lost in the fire vs just buying another complete car. Some of the guys parting these out think they have the last one in this galaxy and want $$$ for them.

The other engine is supposed to be low mile, but we'll see, haven't done anything with it yet. It's pretty hard getting motivated again after losing everything in a shop fire.

I'm going to bring this engine to a friends machine shop and see what he thinks. I'm going to buy a couple more blocks that are local to me and make sure I have enough parts to get this going again.

Just wanted to share the pics of the engine since I did start the thread.

Heres what the burnt engine used to look like!

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05 2019, 09:08:36 PM »
Nothing in hot rodding is inexpensive. I do it because I enjoy it, I'm going with you do too or you wouldn't be asking. Put a budget together and try to adhere to it. Or it can spiral out of control pretty easily.
set backs are inevitable, and even if you get knocked down you have to get back up and keep moving forward to attain the goals and dreams.
Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal