Author Topic: How mechanics differ:  (Read 8717 times)

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
How mechanics differ:
« on: March 22 2005, 07:59:41 PM »
A few months back, I was in my mechanics shop getting a fuel pump installed & hot wired & I asked the mechanic what would he want to burn a chip for my car. $ 100 was the reply. Ouch. My next question: Do I get to keep my old stock chip? The mechanics response: Oh, no, these chips are no longer available and I can't find them, they are getting hard to get, so I will need to use your old stock chip. Now the mechainc throws in a ringer. He says: the only other person that I would recommend is so and so. His chips are pretty good. I go home,  E-mail so and so, I ask can he burn me a chip for my car. Sure, he says, call me and give me the details. I call so & so. I say basically a bone stock car, Hooker catback, Hooker Aerochambers, SX pump, Racetronix hot wire, 91 crappy octane, THDP, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but no fuel pressure gage yet. So & so says no problem to everything. I ash how much: So & so says that $ 50 should cover it. Can I keep my stock chip and you supply a blank chip to burn my chip, I ask. Sure was so & so's response. I ask how much extra for the blank chip? So & so says: No extra. I drop over fckng dead. this is getting so easy I can't handle the "Un-stress". So I am thinking, ok, here's where I will get killed: shipping & insurance charges. I ask so & so: How much for shipping and insurance charges to my zip, (couple of hundred miles away). Oh, that's included in the $ 50. Why did my ex-mechanic want  to keep my stock chip you ask? He knew that I would need it for smog test, if nothing else, and he wanted me to come back and spend more money to burn me a stock chip. This is a true story, swear to God. Add whatever name that you wish. And don't shoot me, I am only the messenger

Offline johndeeregn

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How mechanics differ:
« Reply #1 on: March 22 2005, 08:13:58 PM »
F*ckn thieves. :mad:

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
How mechanics differ:
« Reply #2 on: March 23 2005, 02:34:05 PM »
Rare chips my ass! You can snag them out of anything and reburn I believe. Every GM car is built from a huge parts bin. Good job on avoiding the bendover Gary.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23 2005, 06:26:59 PM »
The bin images for the stock chips are on GNTTYPE.org..J ust burn it to a chip...

Sheesh...I hate when people try to rip you off..
Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T
:horse:

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23 2005, 11:50:54 PM »
Unfortunately, the thing that sucks is: It only takes
a couple of guys like that to make people have a distrust
for all mechanics. :mad:
Rob

Offline granitestategn

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30 2005, 05:50:21 PM »
50 bucks is pretty cheap. I would guess the norm is about $75. You may want to research "so and so's" chips. If people are happy with them, great. I know there are some guys out there who offer great service and free tweaks for $75. Make sure "so and so" will tweak your chip for you if it's not quite right for no charge for a reasonable amount of time. If it's $50 a whack, that could add up. BTW, way to raise the BS flag on the other guy, that's a load of crap. Happy motoring!
87 GN, 97K, original owner, stock turbo, stock IC, 60# inj, Turbotweak 93 chip, some other odds & ends

12.98 @ 104

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01 2005, 03:19:34 PM »
I have used and liked both Jay Cater and Jim Testa chips - I hear Eric @ http://www.turbotweak.com makes a good chip as well.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01 2005, 04:20:14 PM »
I like my TurboTweak chip..
 :psix;
Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01 2005, 11:29:49 PM »
Quote from: "AtomicBread @ Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:20 pm"
I like my TurboTweak chip..
 :psix;

How much did that cost you?
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02 2005, 02:06:39 AM »
I paid $75..I think it was worth it..custom made, you can at fuel and timing to WOT, Great tech support..Eric's a good guy..
Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T

Offline Turbogn86

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02 2005, 11:09:19 AM »
i am also using a turbo tweak chip, an when ever i get my car working perfect i will tell yall how its preforms but hey it took my peg leg into the 14.0's with a 2:73 rear and a horible driver!!! :supz:
86 GN-sold
87 WE4 (Daily Driver)

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24 2005, 08:48:05 PM »

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25 2005, 01:07:35 AM »
I personally liked this quote:
HAHA,

Before I move on, I have to ask...What the hell is wrong with you guys? You really spend this kind of time arguing on a message board?

The point of my thread, (you may recall it.....it's about 10 posts above the derailment) was to introduce myself to the community, and based on what I've observed during my search, tap on this little online community for some assistance.

My perception of what I've just embarked on is as follows:

Entered into a car ownership that I've thought about and wanted for a very long time.

Know in advance, that there is only a small supoprt network for either qualified service, and parts availablity.

Anticipated meeting some new friends, with common interest and likely a lot of passion for our cars.

Thing of it is, and I'm sure with what seems like a lot of history that Im not aware of, you guys above DO share the passion for the car. Also it seems that you have a competitive spirit, something I can appreciate and respect.

What I'd like to ask though, is if in the future, you fellas wouldn't mind making your own, "I know you are, but what am I thread" as not to drag your cock fencing into my info. gathering.

I'm not predisposed to liking or disliking anyone here, based on someone else's experience and the derogatory comments above will be ignored. I just want to close by saying that I appreciate the positive information shared so far, and look forward to getting to know you all better, both here and when we meet at shows, shops or wherever.

I consider this to be something like a virtual garage. Let's leave the **** talking to the old women, and just enjoy the cars, and friends we might make.

Peace out,
J.R.

I know this has been going on for a long time, but I'm still in the dark about it.
Rob

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25 2005, 01:49:13 AM »
I had to pipe in, VERY rare I post on that POS board..

You have given that impression - and a childish one at that. Don't worry - you're not losing any business from me, I'm in Florida - but you either need to relax or take it to PM.

Regardless of what you and Gary have issues with - you came off as a HUGE asshole in this thread.

<shakes head>
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
« Reply #14 on: April 25 2005, 02:26:04 AM »
Give him hell Gary! :finga:
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal