Author Topic: How To Select The Correct Turbocharger/Torque Converter?  (Read 31021 times)

Offline Cool Guy

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
How To Select The Correct Turbocharger/Torque Converter?
« on: January 08 2018, 02:25:30 PM »
I understand this is about as simple as selecting N/A camshaft profiles. :shrug: 

I am trying to learn about how to select a turbocharger & torque converter combination.

I'm thinking that a 2800-3000 RPM LU converter would be preferable for a street/road car. I don't have a track nearby & I'm interested primarily in a driver, that can still kill.

How much slippage does one experience while driving around town at 5-45MPH?

How large of a turbo can you spool quickly with a tight converter?

I've noticed a lot of 6262 combos listed. What are they capable of?

I do have a set of good flowing heads.

Thanks.
See The Old Guys Thump Their Chest & Reminisce About How They Used To Be "Somebody".

Buick Info? Its Top Secret. LOL!

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: How To Select The Correct Turbocharger/Torque Converter?
« Reply #1 on: January 08 2018, 03:21:46 PM »
The in thing is a non-lockup converter!  Converter comes down to power levels and combination.  Get a hold of some of the good converter guys like Dusty and they can set you up.  I know at the track when the car was buzzing at 6300rpm and I locked up my converter I went to 5300 rpm.  After that I was thinking I should go to a non-LU.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08 2018, 03:59:04 PM »
A converter is not a constant. different turbos need different converters to stall the same. Over simplification maybe but

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08 2018, 08:10:35 PM »
The CEA 6262 is a legitimate 10 second turbo. I've gone 6.7 at 105 in the 1/8th on 25 PSI with a 1.58 launch. That's about mid 10 territory translated in the 1/4. I could have eclipsed that that particular day but I ran out of injector. IDC was in the 90's with 60's. I bracket race the car at 7 flat at 100 on 23 PSI, an easy 1.7x launch and an easy tune. Equivalent is 11 flat translated in the 1/4.

I run an AC 16930 that stalls at 0 boost at 2750...it's real tight. I run over 30 degrees of low gear timing and drop the low gear 02's below 800 to get it to launch. To get a 1.5x launch I have to flash the convertor to 3950 or better. The car drives like a stocker with it being that tight.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with a 6265 and a NL PTC convertor spec'd by Dusty. The 6265 is good for another 30 HP all in.

Jim on the board here has a Husek 3021 and has gone 11.4 at 117 on 26 PSI, alky and a stock long block with a 60 series turbo. With a better launch, a good set of heads and tuning I think he could go all day at 10.90. Think he worked the slip at 12 percent.

You'll need an efficient IC as well.

« Last Edit: January 08 2018, 08:22:46 PM by Scoobum »
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Cool Guy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08 2018, 08:15:53 PM »

RJC 325 FMIC
See The Old Guys Thump Their Chest & Reminisce About How They Used To Be "Somebody".

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08 2018, 08:24:25 PM »

RJC 325 FMIC

I'm testing a vertical flow IC for one of the Buick vendors in the spring...stay tuned. The RJC 325 is the best choice...at the moment.

Offline Cool Guy

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08 2018, 08:45:31 PM »
Been following the R&D of a vertical flow IC on the other board.

Sounds promising.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08 2018, 10:02:22 PM »
I've gone 6.7 at 105 in the 1/8th on 25 PSI with a 1.58 launch. That's about mid 10 territory translated in the 1/4. I could have eclipsed that that particular day but I ran out of injector.-----------------------

See I don't agree with that statement. my car picked up 26 mph in the back half at 19 lbs of boost Some of the high 9 cars do that also. Can I say my car runs high 9;s

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08 2018, 10:08:42 PM »
If you call Dusty, he will spec you one of three converters that PTC recommends for the turbo buick guys.  They are all the same converter except for the number of blades. 17, 18 or 19 blade.  Your power level will determine which number of blades he will recommend. PTC part numbers are pretty easy to break down what's going on on the inside and what tranny it was made for. I called PTC direct and spoke with them for about 30 minutes.  Super nice guys there are PTC.  No dings against Dusty, he has a full time job and is a distributor for PTC on the side.  I called him and left a message and then called PTC.  Dusty didn't get back to me for a few days
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09 2018, 10:29:52 AM »

See I don't agree with that statement. my car picked up 26 mph in the back half at 19 lbs of boost Some of the high 9 cars do that also. Can I say my car runs high 9;s

You can tell us anything you want . But if you want us to believe it you'll need a time slip or two.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09 2018, 12:23:54 PM »
Goals, goals and goals. Without a goal it’s hard to pick out the proper combination. Not everyone needs a ten second turbo.
IhaveaV8

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09 2018, 02:57:33 PM »
I've gone 6.7 at 105 in the 1/8th on 25 PSI with a 1.58 launch. That's about mid 10 territory translated in the 1/4. I could have eclipsed that that particular day but I ran out of injector.-----------------------

When I ran the 1/4 my car would pick up 25 in the back half...consist ently.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09 2018, 03:02:54 PM »
Goals, goals and goals. Without a goal it’s hard to pick out the proper combination. Not everyone needs a ten second turbo.

OP says he wants to run 10's. You and I know it's addictive. How fast is the Firechicken gonna go...

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09 2018, 05:13:55 PM »
My car is stock and I went with the 6262 with a 3k l/u made by ptc. Awesome combination on the street for sure. I don't/didn't have any goals when I purchased, but I always prefer to purchase one time, so I bought something to grow into. My injectors are upgraded as well as pump and chip, but no good flowing heads or anything like that. I'm extremely happy with this combo fwiw.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09 2018, 05:32:36 PM »

OP says he wants to run 10's.

Does anybody else just roll their eyes and turn off posts that have ''how do I run 10's''?

I think it might be because of that time I wanted to bang Tracy Smith and I had to watch the Slow and Delirious at her house.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal