Author Topic: SD2 tuning  (Read 65644 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: SD2 tuning
« Reply #75 on: March 21 2017, 11:35:26 PM »
How close are you to coil bind now? Did either or both think the springs you have would work? Or maybe work with some shims to close in on coil bind and raise the pressure? Ive read good things on the beehive springs. Was there a reason you didn't go that way?

Your car and the parts have mad potential and i'm sure you will iron it out. No one, and i mean no one bolts it together, goes to the track and lays down personal bests first time out. I don't care who is lying to us. It just isn't done.

Just have to keep making adjustments. I am sure it has a 10 sec pass in it. Just have to coerce it out.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 22 2017, 03:00:09 PM »
Not close enough according to a few. Some want to run like a .100 from coil bind. Evidently the beehive is designed to kill a harmonic resonance if one occurs.

I'll get it figured out someday, the point being is not to give up
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Online nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 22 2017, 08:29:05 PM »
Is the 49 still on it or the 6262? Sorry I can't keep up
IhaveaV8

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 22 2017, 10:20:19 PM »
Is the 49 still on it or the 6262? Sorry I can't keep up
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 22 2017, 10:46:14 PM »
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19599

After reading this thread the only down side I see to the beehive is the money spent. And who doesn't have an unlimited amount of coin to drop on more cool guy parts?
Rich

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #80 on: March 22 2017, 11:32:56 PM »
Someone should ask Billy Anderson why he won't use them
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Online nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 23 2017, 10:39:55 AM »
Any set of good dual springs should be adequate...
IhaveaV8

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
Any set of good dual springs should be adequate...
That would be nice if it were true. With this cam that I'm running, the aggressive ramp rate is making it difficult to find a spring with the appropriate seat pressure and not too much pressure when over the nose. I may have found a spring from kmotion if my rocker will clear it. It's a a tad bit larger on the OD than my current spring.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24 2017, 03:06:40 PM »
Strange that Comp sells a profile that they cannot provide a spring for.
Steve Wood

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24 2017, 09:06:56 PM »
Strange that Comp sells a profile that they cannot provide a spring for.
Steve, the way I understand it, that lobe was designed with the LS head in mind not the TA Buick head. The long valve of the TA head makes it difficult to get the installed height at what manufacturers recommend without a lot of math of varying thicknesses of retainers, locators and shims. The TA head was definately designed with a high lift lobe and solid rockers in mind.

It's coming together but wasn't easy as my understanding of valve train dynamics wasn't where it needed to be when I selected parts for my build.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24 2017, 11:22:48 PM »
Hey, I am learning a lot. I'm a glutton for punishment but hopefully you will get it smoothed out. Sooner than latter. I'm pretty sure I will use the Pac springs and a split duration cam.

You are doing fine work.
Rich

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26 2017, 08:01:12 AM »
Jason, if you haven't done so already...cont act Bison. Just my 2 cents...but with the lengths you went to, I would have had him grind a custom cam for that build.

I ran a 204/214 cam in that .030 over block I tossed a couple years back when I cracked a second cylinder. I had a 231 standard bore laying around I went with. I consulted with Steve for a cam choice...and we went with a CC's 212/212 flat tappet with GM NOS lifters. Car has run its quickest ET and fastest MPH with that off the shelf cam.

Norbs went 134 MPH with a 210/210 and home brew heads and I believe Grumpy used a 212/212 for his 9 second run with Champion irons...and I'm betting Russ warmed them over a tad.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 26 2017, 09:46:26 AM »
Jason, if you haven't done so already...cont act Bison. Just my 2 cents...but with the lengths you went to, I would have had him grind a custom cam for that build.

I ran a 204/214 cam in that .030 over block I tossed a couple years back when I cracked a second cylinder. I had a 231 standard bore laying around I went with. I consulted with Steve for a cam choice...and we went with a CC's 212/212 flat tappet with GM NOS lifters. Car has run its quickest ET and fastest MPH with that off the shelf cam.

Norbs went 134 MPH with a 210/210 and home brew heads and I believe Grumpy used a 212/212 for his 9 second run with Champion irons...and I'm betting Russ warmed them over a tad.

Turbos and heads have consistently defeated cam theory for years-all the way into the 8's.  I don't know how many people have explained forced aspiration camshaft theory to me over the years and have been indignant when I said, it was a waste of time.  Yet, some of the smartest people I know are the slowest on the track. Got me, but, A good turbo will flow more air than the head port can squeeze thru the valve opening...and valve opening area is limited, and ultimately shrouded by cylinder bore diameter.

I know of two guys that have run 10.4's on stock cams and others that run mid tens consistently on them.

Roller cams are self defeating on serious lobe designs anyway if one is using hydraulic lifters.  The lifters pump up long before the advantage of the lobe is delivered.  Serious engines do not use hydraulic lifters.

I used to be a lot smarter than I am today, but, I started going faster the dumber I got  :icon_eyes: :icon_eyes: :icon_eyes: :icon_lol:
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26 2017, 10:01:16 AM »
Cams...with these little engines...don't come into play until you go 10 flat and faster. Heads, turbo, torque convertor, IC and exhaust are where it's at. Biggest issue I see...is torque convertor selection.

I tested with a Champion race intake. The car was a turd for the first 100 feet or so...didn't matter how much low gear timing I threw at it, pulling low gear fueling or how much boost I put to it on the line. The intake runners were too big...just couldn't get enuf velocity threw them. We swapped back to the stock intake...and the car instantly went low 1.6's and high 1.5's. That made my mind up to sell the TA heads I had.

There's a young local lad I'm friends with that owns a TR...but stays quiet. One of the best tuners on the planet. He ran a Champion race intake. Best short time was a 1.7x
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 26 2017, 10:17:32 AM »
Finding a converter that consistently spools up and transfer power is really hard to do..some spool and some transfer power....The converter has to present a load to the engine to get the turbo to spool, yet it has to have enuf slip to allow it to spool as well...it's somewhat of a dichotomy.

If you are making 25 psi of boost at launch but the converter is absorbing all of it instead of transferring it to the rear tires, it is wasted.  There is a reason that good converters are very expensive....t hey have to get the engine into the power band at launch and throw the car off the line, then it has to tighten up and reduce slip from a large number to a low number as the car goes down the line.  Tuning is relatively easy as the fast cars may run in a 600-800 rpm range thru second and third gears.  That's the reason chips continue to work so well contrary to what vendors tell us.  All the magic is in first gear and the converter makes or breaks us there.
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal