Author Topic: My 1986 Grand National (re) Build Thread  (Read 49519 times)

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
My 1986 Grand National (re) Build Thread
« on: January 02 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
I figure I'll start a thread here to go with my build this winter.

I've been publishing some youtube videos to go along with it, but here is the back story and the plan.

I bought the car in 97 when I graduated high school. it had 60k on it, and I drove it as my daily for about a year. it was in great shape, all stock, but it burned up a trans that year. I got the trans rebuilt by a local very reputable builder, and put a maxeffort chip in it with all the supporting mods. Fast forward 10years, the car sits in my garage 90% of the time, due to a handful of chronic issues, leaks, powersteering, brakes, dead A/C etc.

I, on the other hand, am considerable better than I was in college when it comes to fabricating and building cars... and now I have a real place to work on cars and all the equipment I need. (I've raced oval track cars for the last 12years, built a lot of different cars and engines). So now I'm setting out to rebuild the car right: freshen up the top end of the engine, ditch the powermaster, put a real turbo and converter in, update the tune, clean up all the chronic issues, put a nice exhaust kit on it, not some homemade janky crap.

So far, I've torn the engine down to the short block, and built it back up:
freshened heads, blended the bowls, valve job, .005" deck face
stock cam was KO'd, replaced with a roller from Full Throttle, harland sharp 1.55 rockers
rebuilt the front cover, hand surfaced the oil pump plate, replaced with stock height gears
did the RJC bullet proof headgaskets, port matched the intake, and put it all back together

mods all together are:
RJC power plate, 62mm ported TB, alkycontrol, 340pump, 16930 converter, 3" terry houston DP, 6265 turbo

Here's the VLOG on youtube, subscribe for updates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q163TqoKAqc&index=5&list=UUmtNb4VMnSXVbauJ4Dfn96w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAAKmJjRK_A&list=UUmtNb4VMnSXVbauJ4Dfn96w&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD7LCxW85Y4&index=1&list=UUmtNb4VMnSXVbauJ4Dfn96w

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: My 1986 Grand National (re) Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 02 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
Very cool...and thanks so much for sharing!. The 6265 is a legitimate 9 second capable turbo...as Bison turned the trick with it a couple months back. I run the JB 6262 with the 16930 convertor...an d the time is in my sig. Wish I had your shop. Keep the vids comin'!
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02 2015, 02:38:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Should be nice working on the brake swap with the engine out.  Only pain I've read about the hydro boost swap is running the lines.  Keep it coming!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02 2015, 09:43:51 PM »
Lookin' good!

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25 2015, 08:53:19 PM »

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
If you're gonna go with a FMIC...then RJC or nothing. Same goes for the exhaust and DP...RJC...or nothing. Stay away from the Chinese junk...cuz that's all it is.

There's a rumour there's some idiot north of the border that's gone 6.72 at 104.67 with a 6262 with a 16930, a TT 5.7 chip and reworked 8445 heads.  :) The 6265 makes another 30 HP all in over the 6262.

Any chance you could shoot a video of the parts you have for the hydroboost...a nd the install? Thanks for the vids so far...the car is coming along great. :cheers:

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27 2015, 03:06:03 PM »
I agree, I would only consider an RJC or an older PTE FMIC. I also intend to stay away from the imported IC cores and exhausts. I am sold on RJC. I'm struggling to find a reason to spend an extra $100 for a PTE SLIC.
I already have a Terry Houston DP, its ceramic coated and has been good for me. It will go back in, likely with the 3" RJC stock location exhaust.
Before I put the engine back in, does anyone know where a guy can get the trans cooler hard lines? Mine were pinched and I replaced with a pair of -6 hoses, but I'd like to bring the hard lines back into the game since they fit so much better.
Yeah I think I'm ready to take the next step... I can do a video of the hydro boost install, I've already got the powermaster out. It might be a while in order to include the power steering pump installation.. . but thats a good point since this is a popular swap these days. I've been considering using the cadillac master cylinder since its shorter and will clear a larger P/S reservoir.... which allows you to run two returns to the reservoir instead of T-fittings (less joints=less leaks)
You guys feel free to point out any other videos I should do based on this stage of the game, and I'll try to make it happen. I'm considering that NVU dash from the other board... I think that would be a good one. I really want to clean up the interior, I'm sick of boxes and gizmos all over the place.

Here's some install videos I'll consider:
RJC 3" exhaust
HR rear sway bar
hydroboost
headliner
MAYBE NVU dash/interior rehab

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27 2015, 03:34:58 PM »
I would check with classic tube and  inline tube for the lines, they must have made some up by now.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27 2015, 04:26:37 PM »
I've run the PTE SLIC on my white TR.  About the only complaint I have with it is that on one side you use the stock bracket and the other side has an aluminum bracket.  It shakes a bit hanging out there.  Also, you'll have to cut there up pipe to get it sit down enough to clear the hood insulation.

When it's time, I'm going with a front mount from RJC for the Gray Ghost.  Every once in a while, one will pop up for sale, usually when you don't have the money or if you do have the money, someone beats you to it.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27 2015, 08:55:00 PM »

I would check with classic tube and  inline tube for the lines, they must have made some up by now.

Good call, inline tube is close enough that I can try to shoot over there at lunch, they have them for $50 and classic tube has them for $69.

I've run the PTE SLIC on my white TR.  About the only complaint I have with it is that on one side you use the stock bracket and the other side has an aluminum bracket.  It shakes a bit hanging out there.  Also, you'll have to cut there up pipe to get it sit down enough to clear the hood insulation.

When it's time, I'm going with a front mount from RJC for the Gray Ghost.  Every once in a while, one will pop up for sale, usually when you don't have the money or if you do have the money, someone beats you to it.

Exactly dude, I catch a FMIC every now and then, but they all sold within 20min (seems like). Since thats the first knock I've heard on the PTE SLIC... I think I'm sold on the FM.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
Finally watched #5.

As for exhaust,  I had the hooker set on the white TR when I first bought it. Kind of quite but had a drone that was annoying between 1800-2100 RPM.  Researched a while and settled on RJC 3" single to a stock location muffler with dual outlets. The inlet to the muffler is straight thru and exits on the driver side. Fiberglass baffling, as far as could tell, for the exit to the passenger side.  Nice sound. Does have a drone but not near as annoying as the hooker set up.  Single pipe to after the axle and the rest of the weight is all in the rear, where you need it. 

Just my two cents
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28 2015, 07:08:48 AM »
Yeah that is the system that I'm planning on, I'm trying to really get rid of the drone.
I had a cobbled up 3" single that dumped at the axle. It was part of an ATR single shot and had an ATR 3" muffler, and it droned like crazy. Fun when I was younger, but now I couldnt handle driving the car for more than 30minutes.

So an idea that I had was to weld a flange to the ATR muffler and use it to replace the "test pipe" basically adding a muffler to the system. It might help, it might make it worse. It will probably add some backpressure, but probably not enough for me to care since I think we'll very easily meet our targets for the car's performance. After its all together I might try to buy a used test pipe and do a side by side comparison... now that I think about it, it may make sense to buy the test pipe first to build my muffler-test-pipe to the right dimensions.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
I've read a few threads on the other site about guys putting a few mufflers in line.  Heck, one thread mentioned a guy that had put three mufflers in line.  Allegedly it solved the drone issue.  Who knows...  I would be interested to see if you could find a muffler of the right dimensions to fit in place of the test pipe and still be able to slide a test pipe in and out of it as well as kill the drone
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
I've heard that the test pipe is about 13" long, which means the old ATR pitbull muffler SHOULD fit, it would probably require a captured bolt to be in the flange before its welded to the muffler. I already have the flange from RJC to try it... I'll fab it up after I get the exhaust purchased and hung. it probably wont be "track-side removable" but I doubt I'll care. (as Scoobum keeps reminding me, the car will be plenty fast)
 :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal