Author Topic: Girdled Block, Cam Bearing  (Read 3288 times)

Offline TWild

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Girdled Block, Cam Bearing
« on: May 04 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
I have a 87' GN with a girdled 109 block. I'm in the process of changing my cam and cam bearings due to the lobe on cylinder #3 going flat. I pulled the front cam bearing and it had "Clevite SH1448" on it. I ordered an new set of Clevite "SH1448S" bearings as replacements. This is my concern, the front cam bearing I pulled has a small groove cut in it and the replacement bearing DOES NOT. The groove is in the outer radius of the bearing and extends on an angle from the centerline to the outer edge.

My understanding is that on a stock (non-girdled) block, there is an oil slinger on the front of the crankshaft that provides lubrication to the timing gear set and the cam sensor drive gear. On a girdled block (on mine anyway) there isn't an oil slinger on the crankshaft. My assumption is that on a girdled block, oil gets to the timing gear set and the cam sensor from the small groove cut into the outer radius of the front cam bearing. That is, oil traveling around the groove in the blocks front cam journal travels through the small groove on the backside of the bearing and sprays oil onto the timing gear set.

My question is, does anyone know of someone that sells the front cam bearing that has the groove cut in it?

I'm fairly new to this and I have made some assumptions but I hope I've explained it well enough for someone out there to understand  :O .

Any help is appreciated,

TW

« Last Edit: May 14 2018, 06:56:46 PM by TWild »
87' GN, 109 girdled block, Precision 6776, SLIC, Alky, Comp 212/212  flat tappet, stock valve train, TT5.6 Chip, 60lb injectors.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Girdled Block, Cam Bearing
« Reply #1 on: May 04 2018, 03:40:24 PM »
sounds like you got a bad bearing that's going to kill off your oil pressure for the entire engine. 

The girdle has nothing to do with cam bearings or oil slingers.    You need to find a replacement before you put your engine back together.

I recommed Dura-Bond cam bearings.   If you have a 20 bolt block you'll have the option to pay for money for a
Teflon coating.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 04 2018, 05:42:53 PM »
I think the oil slinger is to get oil from being thrown directly on the front seal and increasing the chance of leaks.  Earl is right as I recall on the bearing
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04 2018, 07:17:39 PM »
The other thing is does is fling oil up on the timing gear and some to the bevel gears.    When its missing, that causes the balancer to sit back a little further on the engine and could mess with the crank trigger.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline TWild

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
Hey Earl,

Thanks for the info. In my original post I put, "It's my understanding. .." I guess my understanding was somewhat incorrect. This is the same engine I PM'd you about that didn't have much oil on the driver's side. Your diagnosis was a oil galley plug spit out the front on the driver's side, well guess what I found 
like you were right  :rock:   but I still haven't found the rogue plug, I bore scoped inside the pan and hadn't found jack.

I appreciate you help Earl, so have a beer on me  :atbeer: . As for the bearing problem, I'll install the new set.
« Last Edit: May 14 2018, 06:57:21 PM by TWild »
87' GN, 109 girdled block, Precision 6776, SLIC, Alky, Comp 212/212  flat tappet, stock valve train, TT5.6 Chip, 60lb injectors.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04 2018, 11:02:54 PM »
I've been drinking for hours....

and that plug is in your oil pan.     Stuck to your magnetic drain plug.

....you do have a magnetic drain plug, correct?  :D

Offline TWild

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05 2018, 10:10:19 AM »
Hmmm?, a magnetic drain plug  :chin: . Sure, I have one of those.

BTW, are the images i'm posting coming through? I'm not having much luck on inserting pics or doing an attachments.

TW

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05 2018, 10:29:45 AM »
No images. I believe the site is still having issues.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05 2018, 11:12:01 AM »
Best to post images on imgur.com etc and link them till it is fixed
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TWild

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05 2018, 11:58:03 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the images Daveismissing and Scoobum. I'll give it a shot.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05 2018, 06:49:27 PM »
I found a new place to host called village pictures
http://village.photos/
Seems to work pretty good so far.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05 2018, 08:27:09 PM »
All these guys will do the photobucket $$$ thing sooner or later. Make sure you keep the originals.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05 2018, 11:12:45 PM »
No doubt. I have thumb drives, hard drives and DVDs full of pix.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal