Author Topic: Service Advisors vs mechanics  (Read 3928 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Service Advisors vs mechanics
« on: November 06 2016, 10:05:24 PM »

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160215/RETAIL05/302159940/dealership-policies-worsen---and-can-relieve---a-shortage-of-mechanics

We asked the technicians, "What's the biggest issue you have?' The No. 1 issue was communication with the service adviser," says Hollenberg.

Service advisers rarely come from the technical side of automotive maintenance. "A number of dealers hire their service advisers based on their selling ability -- they were really good waiters at a restaurant where the dealer principal had dinner," says Hollenberg. In the 2014 report, Carlisle found that most service advisers with 10 or fewer years of experience came from retail, restaurant, hotel and hospitality businesses.

Traditional payment for service advisers compounds the mismatch between them and technicians, as well. The average service adviser receives 60 percent of his or her pay in the form of commission. This can lead to overselling of maintenance procedures and overpromising customers on delivery times for work. Technicians bearing the brunt of this see little reason for loyalty to a particular dealership.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Service Advisors vs mechanics
« Reply #1 on: November 06 2016, 11:27:34 PM »
Not just with autos, especially with airplanes too.
Seems to me there should always be a requirement of a certain amount of years in the field before being a service tech/advisor. I'm no young pup anymore, but anytime I hear a guy on the phone that sounds younger than me, I go to myself... "CRAP!!!" :wall:
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07 2016, 06:59:40 AM »
Techs are not mechanics.

But, yes this sounds about right.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07 2016, 11:02:08 AM »
I would think that the schools are now only graduating people they consider technicians.
I also expect anyone still working today thinks they can do the diagnostics, regardless of title.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
Techs are not mechanics.

But, yes this sounds about right.

I've met a lot that aren't.   I remember a few years ago when I was an internet sales manager having to walk a 'tech' though troubleshootin g a basic horn circuit.

The ONE relay in the diagram spun out the entire shop including the service manager and the service writer.

The only circuit I can think of less complicated is a flashlight with 2 D-batteries.

...or I guess a buzzy toy with 2 C's.  Same thing.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07 2016, 07:07:03 PM »
Fleshlight, eh?
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07 2016, 07:12:47 PM »
Techs are not mechanics.

Mechanics are not magicians.

My Dad had a t-shirt that said: I am mechanic, not a magician.

It is all about managing expectations.

Interesting side note about customer service and applicable knowledge:  I met a really polite and well informed young man (17 years old) at the hardware store tonight (I was looking for a sump/sewage check valve) and he really had an unusual clue about everything.  Turns out his Dad is a plumber - clearly the chap was taking heed of that wisdom.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07 2016, 07:16:37 PM »
Fleshlight, eh?

I don't think those have wiring do they?
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07 2016, 10:04:30 PM »
Fleshlight, eh?

I don't think those have wiring do they?

Not stock.  But, 220V gives it a real kick!
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08 2016, 08:36:47 AM »
Motorhead's daughter will embarrass many a young man when she analyses and fixes his car for him :)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08 2016, 07:58:31 PM »
Motorhead's daughter will embarrass many a young man when she analyses and fixes his car for him :)

Funny you say this... Tatiana jumped in to help me finish the oil change on the Toreass tonight (told Natasha she was going out to help me).  I was pretty floored when I held up a quart and asked her if she knew what it was - she did.

Really could have used her little hands earlier when I was changing the accessory drive belt - what PITA that was.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09 2016, 04:44:06 AM »
floored when I held up a quart and asked her if she knew what it was - she did.

'Quart' like a Mason jar?

If so, then I'm impressed too. :)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09 2016, 10:19:26 AM »
It was 0w-30 synthetic moonshine.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal