Author Topic: Damn...Time for a rebuild..  (Read 8203 times)

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Damn...Time for a rebuild..
« on: March 08 2005, 10:41:38 PM »
Hey guys..

Check this..I got home from work today and something told me to pop the hood on the T. Well, I find a nice oil leak from the center section of the 60.
 :mad:

Damn...So, can one rebuild a turbo himself, or is that best left to the pros? Should I have it rebuilt, or upgrade? I am debating doing some engine/tranny work when I pull the turbo. More than likely, a new torque converter. This will give me the chance to freshen up the tranny and fix a number of leaks on the engine. The down side is that I would have to work in the dirt and I would need to buy a daily driver. What do you all think? I will try to get some pictures up this weekend of the damage...I wish I knew what caused the seal to go..I drive it like an old woman and I haven't punched it in a long time. Boost at 12 psi. My only guess is gas-diluted oil from when my MAF was having issues ate away at the seal. If that's the case, I think a need to take a long look at the bearings and any other oil surfaces.

Ideas?

:psix;
Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T
:horse:

DCEPTCN

Re: Damn...Time for a rebuild..
« Reply #1 on: March 09 2005, 11:33:11 AM »
Damn, you scared me for a second there....I thought you'd 'misplaced' a headgasket.

I haven't heard of a lot of folk rebuilding the turbo themselves. The tranny freshening is a very good idea- has it been done before? What turbo are you running? Stock?

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09 2005, 11:39:21 AM »
I am now very worried about the bearings...

I don't think the tranny has been done yet..When I bought the car, the tranny fluid was old and burnt...The car was sitting for a while, so...Know any good tranny guys in NM?..

I have a TA-60...I'm not sure if I want to rebuild the 60 and get a bigger torque converter, or drop down to a 49, or something around that with the stock stall..

Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T

DCEPTCN

« Reply #3 on: March 09 2005, 11:42:52 AM »
lol I was actually gonna ask you for a tranny shop recommendation ....

Dropping to a 49? What converter/stall?

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09 2005, 11:47:13 AM »
Right now I have the stock converter...So, the 60 was/is a bit laggy...I'm not sure what would be the best setup to go with...I'd be happy with the car running 11's...

Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T

DCEPTCN

« Reply #5 on: March 09 2005, 12:01:07 PM »
Quote from: "AtomicBread @ Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:47 am"
Right now I have the stock converter...So, the 60 was/is a bit laggy...I'm not sure what would be the best setup to go with...I'd be happy with the car running 11's...

My goal is/has been a reliable car that makes an 11.99 pass.....you should have little problem with a 60 and the supporting mods. Since I just put in a pt51, I've been shopping converters and have decided to go with a 12" lock-up with a 3000 stall from Pat's. Only $285....that's a real bargain and I have yet to hear anybody say anything bad about them. What other mods have you made?

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09 2005, 12:05:37 PM »
Bluetops (I know..I want to get some 50's in there), stock IC, TurboTweak chip, Armstong XP fuel pump, TH downpipe...I think the only thing holding me back is the converter and injectors...we ll, and now the turbo....

So rebuild the 60?
Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T

DCEPTCN

« Reply #7 on: March 09 2005, 12:48:03 PM »
Why the hell not? If you're planning on a converter upgrade and injecter increase, why would you change turbos? With your planned setup and SMC, I don't think you'd have any trouble reaching your goals. Gorgeous car, by the way.

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09 2005, 01:55:53 PM »
Thanks...It need to be repainted..I was thinking about painting it black, but thought that I'd be cool to get to painted with the factory colors...
Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T

DCEPTCN

« Reply #9 on: March 09 2005, 02:06:40 PM »
Factory colors suit it well, I think. I have to assume that the pics in your album were taken by the previous owner...? For one: those ain't NM plates, and two: that doesn't look like any neighborhood I've seen around ABQ. They had an awesome TR get together a couple years ago (see link below) and it's being discussed to do it again....that last one was long before I lived in NM, so I'd like to see it happen. I hope you'd be up for it. It would likely be hosted by one of the guys up around Rio Rancho. My car will actually be seeing the streets again in a few weeks.....two years and thousands of dollars later. :jerkit;

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3650/alb4.html

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09 2005, 02:12:12 PM »
Len Freeman
Performance Transmission
6121 Boulder Hwy.
Las Vegas, Nv., 89122
(702) 434-2991

Is credited with building some of the best tranny re-builds around for the Buick
Turbos.

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09 2005, 02:18:57 PM »
Quote from: "DCEPTCN @ Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:06 pm"
I have to assume that the pics in your album were taken by the previous owner...? For one: those ain't NM plates, and two: that doesn't look like any neighborhood I've seen around ABQ.

Yup...previous owner...Ohio car...

I'm up for a TR get together...It would be fun...

Thanks Gary, I have heard good things about their trannies...
Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T

Offline JP87GN

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06 2005, 11:09:54 PM »
Have you seen the new RJC boost controller? its under $50 and they say you can spool a 66 with a stock converter. I would rebuild the turbo you got and give thet boost cotroller a try. I'm ganna order one myself. Len is a great trans guy too.
86 T-Type daily driver

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
Damn...Time for a rebuild..
« Reply #13 on: April 07 2005, 07:48:28 PM »
Hey Bread, cheange you oil and filter and cut the filter open. Make sure no stray pieces of bearing end up in your con rods.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline AtomicBread

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08 2005, 12:44:38 AM »
Right now, I got a little knock..Sounds faint but deep...Me thinks it's time to look at the bearing...

:mad:
Jason
1987 Limited Turbo T

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal