Author Topic: Need help wiring 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches  (Read 10691 times)

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Need help wiring 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches
« Reply #15 on: October 24 2013, 07:27:45 AM »
Just wondering if you ever found the procedure for installation & set up of the transmission shifter cable?
If anyone has some details on this, I'd appreciate your help.

thanks,
dave

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24 2013, 09:45:52 AM »
Steve
I miss read your post and found some confusion in mine. I had to adjust the iac every 30 days when running a thrasher chip and others. After I went to turbo tweak never had another idle issue never touched it since.  Been years

K six
This trans is a loaner from a friend that wanted to see if it was any good. I am still working on the car so have not drove it much. I will rebuild my trans and swap it back in this thing leaks like a sieve.  I have a factory service manual just did not have access at the time I posted originally. If I remember I can find the procedure for shifter cable and scan

Offline PacecarTA

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 2
  • im not a newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24 2013, 09:46:56 AM »
it should be obvious as soon as you look at it,  there is only one adjustment point on the entire shifter assembly
the shifter is non adjustable
the  bracket that holds the cable at the trans pan is non adjustable
the linkage bracket on the trans is not adjustable but the pin where the cable connects is adjustable with a nut on backside of the pin .
if the car doesn't go into park when you slide the shifter forward you need to adjust it at the cable pin (provided the lockout assembly isnt binding it ) 
before getting under a car safely support and block the wheels
put shifter in park  and with trans linkage rotated clockwise (to park)
if it wont go to park because of the lockout rod loosen the 13mm nut on the pivot
adjust the cable pin so that the cable just slides on , tighten the nut at backside of the pin

now the  lockout rod  is only adjustable at the pivot point where the rod from the steering column meets the rod that goes from the frame to the trans shift linkage bracket and it allows the reverse lights to operate as well as lockout the key in column from turning preventing starting in any gear other than park or neutral
with key off and trans in park lightly push up the rod that hangs from the column , and tighten the 13mm nut
to check you should be able to key on / key off and remove key easily  and it should be able to key on and key off  with trans in neutral , if not readjust

now with the linkage adjusted you need to ensure that the ecm sees the park switch  and that you have reverse lights
theres a white switch under the dash by the floor on top of the steering column that rotates to adjust (it will click as its rotated  left or right )
 it should self adjust simply by putting the trans into low 1 and then back to park
try it
with key on  put car in reverse and see if the rev lights at the tail come on .if not the switch can be adjusted by adjusted as needed  by rotating it with your hand

if you have reverse lights you should have the park signal for the ecu when its in park
to verify the park signal to ecu you would need to connect a scantool ( powerlogger or  old otc/snapon ) or you could check for ground at pin B10 at ecm

« Last Edit: October 24 2013, 02:15:10 PM by PacecarTA »
Paul   Magnabuick.com ..NJ rep
86GN pump gas 93/alky 109, iron heads, stock mains, no girdle  9.72 @139
best 1/8 6.13 @ 112 ,best mph 144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKzv7ej7Cc
87 GN TTop 109 ,93/alky , 9.82 @ 139 20.6psi , best 1/8th 6.18@113.2
87 GnX'd 
87 GN TTop..stock as can b

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24 2013, 10:59:21 AM »
That is a great write up thank you.

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
Thanks PacecarTA.

Much appreciated!
Will giver a try tonight.

I've been having great difficulty getting into Park & also the key will not come out of the ignition in alot of occassions.
Will try the adjustments first, before I attempt to change out the shifter cable that I have sitting in my tool box.

Thanks again.

dave

Offline PacecarTA

• Turbo Street Limited
  • im not a newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
heres the lockout diagram
part #13 is the bolt that need to be loosened to adjust the rod to the steering column  to slide inside part #15
87 GnX'd 

Offline PacecarTA

• Turbo Street Limited
  • im not a newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24 2013, 02:29:15 PM »
heres the shifter diagram

the nut (#10 lower)  needs to loosened from #12 (pin) which will allow you to slide it in the slot of the linkage arm

87 GnX'd 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal