Author Topic: Penetrating Oil is Overrated!  (Read 6502 times)

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
Penetrating Oil is Overrated!
« on: February 26 2013, 09:16:02 PM »
I had been letting my oil cooler lines soak in penetrating oil (PB Blaster) since last april. Every last one of them were still rusted solid, so last Saturday I reluctantly had  to  heat them to break them loose.

I always use penetrating oil anyway, but the more time goes on the less useful I think it is in breaking free rusted fasteners. Once the fastener is loosened a bit, then the oil is thin enough to get in and it helps in backing it out. But in most cases heavy corrosion seems to seal out the penetrating oil altogether, which had to be the case with these oil lines. I've noticed before, even after soaking for long periods of time that basically any internal surface not sprayed directly with the oil will be bone dry.

'87 T-Top GN, 51k (151K?) mostly stock, freshened engine, 206 / 206 cam, adjustable waste gate link, 42 lb inj., TT chip, scanmaster, boost & fp gauge, hotwire, 17 psi

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Penetrating Oil is Overrated!
« Reply #1 on: February 26 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
I've never seen penetrating oil actually do any penetrating. Based on my experience you have to just put it on the exposed stuff then grab a handfull and just work it back and forth until you get it in.

I've seen a study pop up a few times over the years on various messageboards.  It tested a bunch of penetrating oil and a few home brews. It seems like the winner was something odd like brake fluid and ATF.  Oddly enough the winner was by a longshot.
« Last Edit: February 26 2013, 10:11:44 PM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 26 2013, 11:18:26 PM »
I have never had much luck...Kroil is one of the better rated ones and I use it for whatever value it may add.  50% ATF plus 50% acetone supposedly is the best working mix in tests
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27 2013, 09:36:17 AM »
I tell ya whats not over-rated...
a cutting torch an a big hammer!  :rock:
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02 2013, 08:08:42 PM »
Yeah, I can't remember ever having something that wouldn't loosen up after finessing it red hot with a big hammer :cheers:

Awhile back I bought an old (preston) vice that was rusted solid. The main screw was busted and I assumed it was from the previous owner trying to free it up. I wasn't looking forward to freeing it up, so I threw some kerosene on it and just forgot about it. Well, years later I was cleaning up my place and was sliding the vice around on the concrete, I shoved on the jaw with my foot and to my amazement the slide was completely free :O

I always assumed that the kerosene had freed up that vice, but now I'm no longer sure.
'87 T-Top GN, 51k (151K?) mostly stock, freshened engine, 206 / 206 cam, adjustable waste gate link, 42 lb inj., TT chip, scanmaster, boost & fp gauge, hotwire, 17 psi

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14 2014, 12:02:28 AM »
PB blaster is junk.  Kroil works very good.  I have had rusty stuck fasteners that wont budge.  Give it a shot of Kroil and few second later come apart with ease. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal